TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(this could have gone in this folder or the SAS folder…if this is wrong folder please move)

I need new front leafs for my SAS taco already! I actually used All Pro 5" inch springs which do not support the front weight of my V6 extended cab.

When I did the SAS we just positioned the shackle hanger where it naturally fell.

But now that I need new leafs, I can not just replace with the Rancho Springs without moving the shackle hangers (which I don't want to do)

I measured the existing springs so that I could find new ones. But I wanted to make sure I was measuring from the correct points so when I talk to sale's reps I get the proper springs.
I measured exactly 48" from eye to eye. Running the tape measure from the bolt in the shackle straight to the bolt in the hanger. Is that the way to measure the length of the leaf spring and give the sales reps the accurate distance?Or do you need to follow the arch of the spring? If I did that on the drivers side it would be a straight line anyway. yet the passenger side still has "some" arch to it (yes I have a bad case of the taco lean)

·
Registered
597 Posts
I found this when I was asking the same question, if someone else has any other opinions by all mean. It seems like it would be a pretty accurate way to measure springs.

http://www.eatonsprings.com/measuring.htm

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I apprecaite that information. Didn't know it was out there.

Did you by chance use Eaton?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Did you by chance use Eaton?[/QUOTE]

No I was searching on the internet for the very information you are, how to measure and that is what came up, their logic and reasoning behind how they measure their springs seems accurate and correct.

·
Registered
622 Posts
i have always been under the impression that you follow the arch to get the measurement. but i might be wrong

·
Registered
234 Posts
The length of the spring is the length of the Main leaf from eye to eye flattened. I usually run a piece of string along the arch from eye to eye and then measure the string.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
The length of the spring is the length of the Main leaf from eye to eye flattened. I usually run a piece of string along the arch from eye to eye and then measure the string.
Good way to do it. You could get a really accurate measurement by turning the spring on it's side. Put the end of the the string on the inside edge of the eye bushing inner sleeve, then run in along the main leaf to the inside edge of the rear sleeve, then add the diameter of the sleeve and you have an accurate dimension.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts