TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 DC and amerian racing says a wheel that is a 17x8.5 with -6mm offset and a 4.5 inch backspacing won't work on my truck. Why would this not work, is is possible that there is something on the back side of the wheel to hang up on the caliper. That would be stupid. I had some 17x9 on my 06' DC prerunner with 4.5 inches of backspace and they fit perfect. And I know that the Mojaves fit and the have the same backspacing as the wheel they say won't fit. Here is a link to the wheel I am interested in....http://americanracing.com/wheels/de...-piece black Teflon painted alloy&section=ORT

I already asked some guys in the tire/wheels section and they didn't know, that is why I am asking here. So please if you don't have any comments to make that will help me come to an answer, don't waste your time or others by posting. Thanks

·
Registered
636 Posts
It's very possible there is something on the back side of the wheel you mentioned that will hit the caliper. Even though the BS and offset seem enough, if the wheel isn't designed to fit, it may not...

I tried a Soft 8 17x8 with 4.5 BS and it was a mile off. I even tried a 1/4" wheel spacer and it still hit the caliper. Cven with a 1/4" spacer, I could not get the wheel flush to the hub. This is because the holes ( not lug holes ) in the rim are like pressed inwards and stick out towards the frame. I think the only way I could have gotten that wheel to fit was to use 1/2" spacer.

My suggestion is to find a place that has them and go do a test fit. If they won't let you without buying, you shouldn't give them your business.

SinCityTaco said:
I have a 2007 DC and amerian racing says a wheel that is a 17x8.5 with -6mm offset and a 4.5 inch backspacing won't work on my truck. Why would this not work, is is possible that there is something on the back side of the wheel to hang up on the caliper. That would be stupid. I had some 17x9 on my 06' DC prerunner with 4.5 inches of backspace and they fit perfect. And I know that the Mojaves fit and the have the same backspacing as the wheel they say won't fit. Here is a link to the wheel I am interested in....http://americanracing.com/wheels/de...-piece black Teflon painted alloy&section=ORT

I already asked some guys in the tire/wheels section and they didn't know, that is why I am asking here. So please if you don't have any comments to make that will help me come to an answer, don't waste your time or others by posting. Thanks

·
Registered
313 Posts
Sin City,
For some reason, American Racing must not mind losing business. They have a very limited application guide if you follow their website for tacoma's. I spoke with numerous wheel places and just about all of them called AR and they said that Crater's would not fit. I ended up buying MB Motoring wheels (72's that kinda look like Mohave's) because those are the ones they had at my local Discount Tire and I could test fit. After buying, I finally received a reply f/ someone at toyotatech.com who had Craters and he told me that they fit just like OEM, without a problem. So I'm follow anthony's advice and go to a place to testfit them. The problem I had is that I did not want to order them, and lose out on the shipping costs if they did not fit. By the way, didn't you just sell a long travel doublecab taco? You got another?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I spoke with Discount Tire and they said they will not fit because they will hit the UCA. Well I imagine if I got some DR UCAs then that would take care of that. Yes I did sell my LT truck. My girlfriend got a new taco though and we are going to do a small lift and 285s with some frame cutting.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I called DR to ask if their UCAs would provide extra clearance for wheels. They said no, they don't provide any more clearance than OEM. All they do is provide more travel and greater adjustability. I guess that only leaves me one option and that is Total Chaos if I want to use those wheels that badly.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Regarding shipping..

I was pretty sure my Cragers would NOT fit, but I wanted to be 100% sure so I ordered one to test. The kicker was that it was $12 via UPS to ship to my house, but $25 via UPS to return. That blows...

Slergio said:
Sin City,
For some reason, American Racing must not mind losing business. They have a very limited application guide if you follow their website for tacoma's. I spoke with numerous wheel places and just about all of them called AR and they said that Crater's would not fit. I ended up buying MB Motoring wheels (72's that kinda look like Mohave's) because those are the ones they had at my local Discount Tire and I could test fit. After buying, I finally received a reply f/ someone at toyotatech.com who had Craters and he told me that they fit just like OEM, without a problem. So I'm follow anthony's advice and go to a place to testfit them. The problem I had is that I did not want to order them, and lose out on the shipping costs if they did not fit. By the way, didn't you just sell a long travel doublecab taco? You got another?

·
Registered
56 Posts
sorry didn't search just a quick ?

pls don't flame like i said i didn't seach just asking.....

has anyone started a thread maybe a sticky where people can post up which wheel/tire combos they have found to work with which taco they have? i have read that there is a diff between the sr5 vs the trd off road vs trd sport as far as caliper size and backspacing needed for each model.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No they are not hub centric. They are lug centric. I didn't know American Racing made a wheel that was hub centric. I thought they did mostly truck and american car wheels.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Here's a faq that list some folks experience with wheel fitments:

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/wiki/index.php/Tire_and_Wheel_Fitment

Bora12 said:
pls don't flame like i said i didn't seach just asking.....

has anyone started a thread maybe a sticky where people can post up which wheel/tire combos they have found to work with which taco they have? i have read that there is a diff between the sr5 vs the trd off road vs trd sport as far as caliper size and backspacing needed for each model.

·
Registered
636 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Slergio said:
Sin City,
this taco has Crater i know its a 17". Mabye cuz it has LT kit on it? but am thinking to get those rims but in 16" plz tell me they do fit

·
Registered
56 Posts
thanks anthony

thank you for pointing me in the right direction. honestly i have been on here about a year and had never clicked on the tech/faq link.

:xsmash: :xsmash: :xsmash: :xsmash: :xsmash: :xsmash: :xsmash:

·
Registered
313 Posts
3jooom said:
but am thinking to get those rims but in 16" plz tell me they do fit]
I'm going to copy the email, and it has his email address, doesn't sound like he'd mind;
They fit with no issue. I ordered 16" for 2006 Tacoma, they fit like
OEM.

Let me know if you need more info.

Paul
----- Original Message -----
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Wednesday, February 28, 2007 2:58 PM
Subject: American Racing Crater

This is a message from slergio at YotaTech Forums (
http://www.yotatech.com/forumindex.php ). The YotaTech Forums owners
cannot
accept any responsibility for the contents of the email.

To email slergio, you can use this online form:
http://www.yotatech.com/sendmessage.php?do=mailmember&u=22119

OR, by email:
mailto:[email protected]

This is the message:

P.Bauer,
If its not too much trouble, I'd like to ask for info on the AR
Craters. I
want to know if you had to grind the calipers or use spacers 'cus the
local
wheel dealers in Yuma say that these wheels do not fit the 07 tacomas.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Slergio said:
I'm going to copy the email, and it has his email address, doesn't sound like he'd mind;
They fit with no issue. I ordered 16" for 2006 Tacoma, they fit like
OEM.

Let me know if you need more info.

Paul
QUOTE]

thank you very much. I guess i ill start saving for the 16x8 rim ( correct me if am wrong) that size will fit on a 265/75/16 without a problem or addtional mods?

·
Registered
313 Posts
should be fine. Now if you had the 245's the tires would probably look too skinny on that rim.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So they say the Craters won' t fit, but there they are on a Taco. I wonder if they are blowing smoke up my ass about the "Thugs". I can't believe they are giving out wrong information about their products and they really do work.

·
Registered
313 Posts
In my research, I found pictures of atleast 3 different taco's with craters. I didn't buy them because I was waiting to hear f/ the owners or someone if they were using spacers or grinded calipers. By the time I heard f/ one, I couldn't wait any longer and bought other wheels. American Racing lost out on selling 4 wheels but they don't seem to care.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts