TTORA Forum banner

amp for 8" JL w7

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  frty6&2 
#1 ·
what is a good amp around $200 for a 8" JL w7

#3 ·
So a JL audio 300/2 amp. or rockford fosgate punch p3002. just some options but i recomend u don't go cheap on ur amp cause if u don't give the sub the propper power u will blow the sub up.

#5 ·
PPI's are good. I have a 4 channel running my whole system. 2 channels highs, 2 channels bridged to my 12" W6. As for zack, are you asking for the door speakers. A good stereo can push that or a small 4 ch.

#8 ·
04RedLobster said:
what is a good amp around $200 for a 8" JL w7
I have JL's 250/1 amp for that same sub. I made my own wedge shaped down-firing box that sits on the floor behind the driver's seat (ext. cab). It pounds pretty good for an 8.

#9 ·
Zack, if you have the w0 they only take about 75 watts RMS each. two of them 150 watts. Don't ever listen to max power ratings. THat is the power rating when it sounds like crap. If it were me, I would get a decent amp, 300 watt 4 channel, bridge 2 channels, run your jl 6.5's bridged to that. Then the other two channels run all your door highs. Trust me this sounds better than a one or two channel amp to the jl's and the door speakers off the stereo. Then again it depends on the quality of your stereo if it has a sub out RCA, then the doors speakers (and rears) off the stereo would sound OK. The thing is that the amp has to have good ADJUSTABLE crossovers, not just H/L/through, in other words a pretty good amp. If the door speakers are connected to a cheap stereo, the lows in the door speakers will raise as you try to turn it up to bump up the JL and dsitortion will ensue. Then some people might tell you get an amp for the bass and one for the highs and IMO don't do it because it might be more than you need and will cost a bit more as far as power distribution and we are probably out of the scope of this thread, let alone the off-road forum.

#10 ·
I have an Alpine MRD-301 mono amp. It puts out around 375 watts at 2 ohms and sounds great pushing my JL12w3v2 in a ported box. i saw the 8 inch w7 in a ported box kill a 12 inch w0 with both using this amp. I got it for 200 bucks from Tweeter. Its digital though so it takes som time to set up but Alpine has cheat sheets on there website. build a ported box, if you have the space, and it will impress you. good luck dude and good job on buying that woofer. I was tempted but couldn't get past the idea of putting an 8 in my truck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.