TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Amsoil (or other brands) tranny & tcase fluid

Which fluid should I use in a 5-speed transmission and for the tcase? The tranny shifts kinda notchy and sometimes is hard to get into gear.

Amsoil dealers please shime in, I'm looking to order some.

Are there any other brands people have used with good results?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
eep said:
Which fluid should I use in a 5-speed transmission and for the tcase? The tranny shifts kinda notchy and sometimes is hard to get into gear.

Thanks
i would recomand AMSoil products...i'm sure they have good tranny fulids...if you go to there website they tell you all the specs for ur truck if you search for it...

·
Deal Master
2,773 Posts
I highly recommend Redline MT-90 for the manual transmission & Transfercase
My bro & I both run it in our Tacomas
Also - got a friend with 190K miles on his 94 BMW M3 hooked on the stuff- He noticed much smoother shifting when he did the switch based on my rec

I've purchased all of my Redline stuff from www.myoilshop.com
Use the dealer code 675421 to recieve a 10% discount

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
thanks for the quick responses guys!

I have another question now. What should I put in the tcase?
I vaguely remember reading that the tcase and manual tranny have a tunnel for fluid to go back and forth between the two. Is this true?

And how much fluid will I need? 4 qts?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
hey gadget,
like eep was saying, do the 5spds, W59 inparticular, share fluids? If so I'll need to order some more MT-90. Thanx, Wes

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
man I was actually gonna post that to him, btw, thanx for that discount code, saved me $5, $5 is a lot to my broke ass, hahaha! I already asked Gadget this, but do you know if the trans and t-case share fluids? If so, I've got 4 quarts, how many more will I need? I wanna do the oil change sometime in the next couple of days. Thanx, Wes

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts
wslytoy said:
man I was actually gonna post that to him, btw, thanx for that discount code, saved me $5, $5 is a lot to my broke ass, hahaha! I already asked Gadget this, but do you know if the trans and t-case share fluids? If so, I've got 4 quarts, how many more will I need? I wanna do the oil change sometime in the next couple of days. Thanx, Wes
front diff: 1.2 qt (Hypoid GL-5 SAE 75w-90)
rear diff: 2.8 qt with locker, 2.7 w/o (Hypoid GL-5 SAE 75W-90)
manual trans: 2.3 qt (API GL-4 or GL-5, SAE 75W-90)
x-fer case: 1.1 qt (API GL-4 or GL-5, SAE 75W-90

Hypoid refers to gear cutting (the curved shape of the teeth). Hypoid gears slide, creating higher pressure- therefore the oil must be able to withstand this.

I would venture to guess most guys use the hypoid formula in thier trans/t-cases (even though those gears are not hypoid) out of convenience because most guys (myself included) change diff oil more often than t-case or trans oil. This shouldn't hurt anything, although many manufacturers say that Hypoid oils, with their additives, leave a film on the synchronizers and actually lubricates these parts too well, preventing them from functioning correctly. This typically shows up as minor grinding of gears and difficulty in shifting, both problems especially evident going into second gear and in the first few miles of driving with a cold car.

Because of the charachteristics of the gear teeth, use of non-hypoid in the diffs is unwise IMO.

Some manufacturers call thier Hypoid 'EP' for Extreme Pressure. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
well that was pretty damn informative, hehehehe! Chris, I'm assuming you know whether or not the trans and t-case share oil? Thanx, Wes

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts
wslytoy said:
well that was pretty damn informative, hehehehe! Chris, I'm assuming you know whether or not the trans and t-case share oil? Thanx, Wes
My bad, I thought you meant do they share the same TYPE. You want to know if there's a little hole between them and they actually share the same physical oil? If that is what you are asking the answer is no. That is why they have different capacities.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
trans oil

valkyrie said:
My bad, I thought you meant do they share the same TYPE. You want to know if there's a little hole between them and they actually share the same physical oil? If that is what you are asking the answer is no. That is why they have different capacities.
Oh, no problem man, that was definitely an informative and educational post. It didn't answer my question, but I did learn something, so I guess that counts for something, eheheh. You did answer my question this time though. Peace, Wes

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
grillmasterp said:
I highly recommend Redline MT-90 for the manual transmission & Transfercase
My bro & I both run it in our Tacomas
Also - got a friend with 190K miles on his 94 BMW M3 hooked on the stuff- He noticed much smoother shifting when he did the switch based on my rec

I've purchased all of my Redline stuff from www.myoilshop.com
Use the dealer code 675421 to recieve a 10% discount

I must agree with masterp i had a notchy trans for quite some time and the only shite i found to fix it with ease is Redline MT-90.. Now if you live in my area the only way to get it is thru the internet .. so screwed there LOL but goodluck and ask away if have other question.

·
Deal Master
2,773 Posts
wslytoy said:
but do you know if the trans and t-case share fluids? If so, I've got 4 quarts, how many more will I need?
Yeah both Tranny and X-case use the same type/viscosity of fluid. You should be fine the 4 qts of MT-90- based on the Chris K's info - although I always like to have an atleast extra qt around.

Word of advice- (just like the diffs) , make sure you can remove the fill plugs before you remove the drain plugs
keep an eye on the washers/gaskets if you are gonna reuse them - You dont' want to find the drain plug washers in the drained fluid AFTER you've refilled everything

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
Mt-90

grillmasterp said:
Yeah both Tranny and X-case use the same type/viscosity of fluid. You should be fine the 4 qts of MT-90- based on the Chris K's info - although I always like to have an atleast extra qt around.

Word of advice- (just like the diffs) , make sure you can remove the fill plugs before you remove the drain plugs
keep an eye on the washers/gaskets if you are gonna reuse them - You dont' want to find the drain plug washers in the drained fluid AFTER you've refilled everything
Ok man, I'm gonna try to get it done on Tuesday after my classes. I'll definitely watch those gaskets, those are semi-important hehehe. Thanx man, Wes

·
Registered
272 Posts
eep said:

Thanks
i use redline, and i havnt noticed any diffrence in my old clunker

·
Registered
279 Posts
eep,

I used the Redline MT90 and I had very good results with it. IT made shifting much smoother, especially in the cold weather. I'm sure any synthetic would work just as well.

·
Administrator
18,267 Posts
eep said:
thanks for the quick responses guys!

I have another question now. What should I put in the tcase?
I vaguely remember reading that the tcase and manual tranny have a tunnel for fluid to go back and forth between the two. Is this true?

And how much fluid will I need? 4 qts?

Thanks again.
I would use the same in the t-case. I bought 5 quarts for mine since I use just over 4qts with my W59 tranny and t-case. There is route for the oil to pass from tranny to transfer. It is located up in the top of the case, so transfer is minimal, but it would be recommended to use the same type for both.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts