TTORA Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy has a 2007 tacoma V6 prerunner, completely stock.
He is at 3000 miles on the odometer. He wants to switch to Amsoil synthetic motor oil. Is it best to use a cheaper synthetic first for a few thousand miles to get rid of the original oil and then go to amsoil? Or just go right to amsoil.
Also, what weight should he use? 0w-30, 5w-30, 10w-30? Climate is warm, he lives in Southern california.
Last question, I have a 03 tacoma supercharged and I am using 0w-30 amsoil, should I stick with it or go to 5w-30?

Thanks in advance.

· TTORA SoCal
2,547 Posts
Your buddy can change to a synthetic whenever he wants. If he plans on following the every 15k miles thing with that oil, I would do a cheaper syn first, but that is my own opinion. 5w-30 is fine for down here also. For both trucks ..

· TTORA SoCal
2,547 Posts
4X4Poker said:
I thought people loved Amsoil, for its quality and you only have to change it twice a year at most.
yeah, it is great stuff. I just think that when you get something like that, you should do the transition change, like you mentioned. I use mobil 1 extended. It says you can change it every 15k, but I don't feel comfortable waiting that long. Especially when I wheel my truck alot. I do it every 7k just to feel good, and to get under my truck, and have my alone time ;)

· Registered
7,027 Posts
just change - Amsoil recommend 0-30, this stuff
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/tso.aspx
I'd stick with that. I live in AZ and that's what run.

4X4Poker said:
My buddy has a 2007 tacoma V6 prerunner, completely stock.
He is at 3000 miles on the odometer. He wants to switch to Amsoil synthetic motor oil. Is it best to use a cheaper synthetic first for a few thousand miles to get rid of the original oil and then go to amsoil? Or just go right to amsoil.
Also, what weight should he use? 0w-30, 5w-30, 10w-30? Climate is warm, he lives in Southern california.
Last question, I have a 03 tacoma supercharged and I am using 0w-30 amsoil, should I stick with it or go to 5w-30?

Thanks in advance.

· TTORA SoCal
2,547 Posts
4xClover said:
:eek: :D

-----HIJACK IN PROGRESS------

Hey Darrin - Any of you guys coming out for AzRocks this year?

-----END HIJACK ------
---------HIJACK BEING ANSWERED------------

I believe Jason and Wyatt are coming out, don't know about little Chris (wgasa). I really wanted to, but I just started running a construction site and no can do, unless I figure some things out. As for others, I am not sure of....

----------HIJACK ANSWER FINISHED-------------

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.