TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I LIVE FOR THIS
Joined
·
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What makes this stuff better than their regular 5W-30? Series 2000 can go 35K or 1 year oil changes and regular 5W-30 can go 25K or 1 year changes. Now ive red many post regarding extended oil changes and they always come back saying that oil becomes thicker over mileage time. With that being the case will the Series 2000 become a 5W-30 over mileage time? Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,216 Posts
Oils viscosity is tested at 100*C, AKA operating temp. Oil tests do not normally test the cold viscosity wich is represented by the lower number, but my guess is no. When people speak of oil thickening with age they are talking about the high number which represents the oil's viscosity at operating temp.

On lesser oils, the base stock is not as pure as AMSOIL and it has molicules of different sizes. As the oil is used some of the base stock is cooked off or evaporates as fumes and vapor. Since the smaller molicules are lighter they are the first to get boiled off leaving the larger thicker ones and that is what causes lesser oils to thicken with age. AMSOIL's is all the same size so as it is boiled or cooked off, it leaves behind molicules of the same size so there is no viscosity change.

I have run AMSOIL Series 2000 0w30 for as long as 18,000 miles in my supercharged 4Runner and I had the oil tested. It reported that it was still good for continued use and it was still a 30w oil, no thickening at all.

You can go to my website and download The Motor Oil Bible and read it. Once you do you will know more about motor oil the 99.9% of the professional mechanics out there. You will also understand how AMSOIL can be safely used for longer periods then the "other stuff" out there.

Gadget
 

·
I LIVE FOR THIS
Joined
·
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gadget said:
Oils viscosity is tested at 100*C, AKA operating temp. Oil tests do not normally test the cold viscosity wich is represented by the lower number, but my guess is no. When people speak of oil thickening with age they are talking about the high number which represents the oil's viscosity at operating temp.

On lesser oils, the base stock is not as pure as AMSOIL and it has molicules of different sizes. As the oil is used some of the base stock is cooked off or evaporates as fumes and vapor. Since the smaller molicules are lighter they are the first to get boiled off leaving the larger thicker ones and that is what causes lesser oils to thicken with age. AMSOIL's is all the same size so as it is boiled or cooked off, it leaves behind molicules of the same size so there is no viscosity change.

I have run AMSOIL Series 2000 0w30 for as long as 18,000 miles in my supercharged 4Runner and I had the oil tested. It reported that it was still good for continued use and it was still a 30w oil, no thickening at all.

You can go to my website and download The Motor Oil Bible and read it. Once you do you will know more about motor oil the 99.9% of the professional mechanics out there. You will also understand how AMSOIL can be safely used for longer periods then the "other stuff" out there.

Gadget
Did you do any filter changes during the 18K span? thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
347 Posts
I believe amsoil recommends changing the filter at 6month 6K intervals, that way you get a fresh top off of oil when you change the filter. Even if the amsoil thickens out of grade it still shows lower wear numbers than say mobil one. Here is a good study to check out. http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/oil-life.html

Not all amsoil thickens out of grade and not every vehicle will cause it to
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Gadget said:
Oils viscosity is tested at 100*C, AKA operating temp. Oil tests do not normally test the cold viscosity wich is represented by the lower number, but my guess is no. When people speak of oil thickening with age they are talking about the high number which represents the oil's viscosity at operating temp.

On lesser oils, the base stock is not as pure as AMSOIL and it has molicules of different sizes. As the oil is used some of the base stock is cooked off or evaporates as fumes and vapor. Since the smaller molicules are lighter they are the first to get boiled off leaving the larger thicker ones and that is what causes lesser oils to thicken with age. AMSOIL's is all the same size so as it is boiled or cooked off, it leaves behind molicules of the same size so there is no viscosity change.

I have run AMSOIL Series 2000 0w30 for as long as 18,000 miles in my supercharged 4Runner and I had the oil tested. It reported that it was still good for continued use and it was still a 30w oil, no thickening at all.

You can go to my website and download The Motor Oil Bible and read it. Once you do you will know more about motor oil the 99.9% of the professional mechanics out there. You will also understand how AMSOIL can be safely used for longer periods then the "other stuff" out there.

Gadget
Every time I've used the series 2K in both my trucks the oil analysis after every change (10-12K) has come back saying the viscosity is out of the indicated grade. The results always have the [email protected] in the 13 range which I was told put it in the SAE 40 range. I don't see this being a problem but it does happen and when I asked Amsoil the tech told me this is normal with the series 2K.
 

·
I LIVE FOR THIS
Joined
·
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ocmike said:
Every time I've used the series 2K in both my trucks the oil analysis after every change (10-12K) has come back saying the viscosity is out of the indicated grade. The results always have the [email protected] in the 13 range which I was told put it in the SAE 40 range. I don't see this being a problem but it does happen and when I asked Amsoil the tech told me this is normal with the series 2K.
Does your truck seem to run any different after 10k on the oil?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,216 Posts
I replaced the filter at 6 months of use.

AMSOIL recommends when using their oil and their filter to change the filter(s) at 6 months or 12,000 miles. If using their filter with another brand of oil, the recommend following the engine manufacturer's recommended filter change interval.

I have run AMSOIL in all of my vehicles with some very long intervals and I have never had a test report come back with the oil out of grade.

Now, we all know that Toyota engines are very hard on oil and do have a sludge problem that other manufacturers do not have. The speculation is an inadequate crank case ventilation system. You really should replace the PCV valve and also ensure that the passages are free and clear on a regular bases.

If it was my engine and the oil consistantly tested out of grade I would reduce my drain interval slightly. That is the whole point of oil testing, to determine the health of the engine and to optimize the drain interval in YOUR engine based on the way you use it and where you drive it.

Did you all read the MOB yet?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
TRDUSA2002 said:
Does your truck seem to run any different after 10k on the oil?

No, doesn't feel any different and other then the vis. change the oil analysis come back normal and say the oil is still suitable for use. I only have this happen with the series 2k 0w-30 never the regular 5w-30.
 

·
I LIVE FOR THIS
Joined
·
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ocmike said:
No, doesn't feel any different and other then the vis. change the oil analysis come back normal and say the oil is still suitable for use. I only have this happen with the series 2k 0w-30 never the regular 5w-30.
The 5W-30 seems to hold up better than the series 2000 as far as viscosity is conerened? How many mile do you put on the 5W-30 before you change it? thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
TRDUSA2002 said:
The 5W-30 seems to hold up better than the series 2000 as far as viscosity is conerened? How many mile do you put on the 5W-30 before you change it? thanks.
The same, about 10-12k. But the rest of the numbers including the TBN on the series 2k are a little better. I was told the the vis. numbers I'm getting are just into the 40 range so I don't think it really matters to much because I usually change it around 10K anyway.
 

·
I LIVE FOR THIS
Joined
·
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ocmike said:
The same, about 10-12k. But the rest of the numbers including the TBN on the series 2k are a little better. I was told the the vis. numbers I'm getting are just into the 40 range so I don't think it really matters to much because I usually change it around 10K anyway.
Thanks man for your input. Off the topic but it looks like demello offroad will be making your style skidplate. Does you plate come with removeable panels so you gain better access to the oil filter without droping the whole skidplate? Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
TRDUSA2002 said:
Thanks man for your input. Off the topic but it looks like demello offroad will be making your style skidplate. Does you plate come with removeable panels so you gain better access to the oil filter without droping the whole skidplate? Thanks.
Yeah, the plate is bolted to the tube frame so you can take it off for oil changes and to replace it if it gets to fucked up.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top