TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 3.4l with 12000mi. on it and am planning on switching all fluids to amsoil. Does anyone have any input as well as experience in changeing over. What to use 2000 series 0W-30 or 5W30 motor oil, should i still run an engine flush with only 12 thousand?, does toyota approve all amsoil products?, http://www.amsoil.com/scripts/runisa.dll?amsoiloaf:index this is where amsoil lists recommended products for 3.4l.

thanks

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Well, all I can tell you is that I dont use it. I (and some friends) used to be in the oil recycling buisness. I like the idea that you dont have to change you oil soo often, but there are somethings im not comfortable with. For instance, you can make and use an oil filter that can filter out just about all the metals in oil, most carbon, etc etc etc, but you cant make a filter that can filter out the acid that is in oils.

Let me revise my comment about, we have nothing against amsoil, just wouldnt go with the "NEVER CHANGE YOUR OIL" for 100k that they try to push. I wouldnt mind changing it out every 10 in all honesty.

·
Registered
132 Posts
jon_7248 said:
Well, all I can tell you is that I dont use it. I (and some friends) used to be in the oil recycling buisness. I like the idea that you dont have to change you oil soo often, but there are somethings im not comfortable with. For instance, you can make and use an oil filter that can filter out just about all the metals in oil, most carbon, etc etc etc, but you cant make a filter that can filter out the acid that is in oils.

Let me revise my comment about, we have nothing against amsoil, just wouldnt go with the "NEVER CHANGE YOUR OIL" for 100k that they try to push. I wouldnt mind changing it out every 10 in all honesty.
I'm with Jon. The thing about the amsoil is it never breaks down, but like Jon said "the acids" and all the other shit can't be any good for your motor.

I use amsoil in my diff and tranny, but for the motor I'll use a valvoline or any other regular store bought synthetic and change my oil ever couple thousand miles.

·
I LIVE FOR THIS
1,700 Posts
b4rtm4n said:
I have a 2004 3.4l with 12000mi. on it and am planning on switching all fluids to amsoil. Does anyone have any input as well as experience in changeing over. What to use 2000 series 0W-30 or 5W30 motor oil, should i still run an engine flush with only 12 thousand?, does toyota approve all amsoil products?, http://www.amsoil.com/scripts/runisa.dll?amsoiloaf:index this is where amsoil lists recommended products for 3.4l.

thanks
AMSOIL makes a damn good product from all the tests that have been done on it. Soon ill be switching over to amsoil just because thats what majority of the people on this forum uses and recommends. I would stick with the 5w-30 and change it every 10K with an over size filter. Ive been using redline at 15K and i now have 41K and the engine still purrs. I change it every 5K but i could go longer. I havent seen long term tests done on redline but every were you look you see many tests done on amsoil. I would trust amsoil in the long run over redline anyday.

·
Stinks like fish
986 Posts
Amsoil is a good product. I especially admire the XD 3000 line of oil and it may someday find a home in my crank case.

Many synthetics are capable of extended OCI's. They retain TBN that fights and neutralizes acids in the oil.. ANd last a long time. I am slowly creping to that side, having filled my Taco with M1 0w30 I have enough for two years At 12 month intervals.

I would run the series 2000 or the 3000(HSEO) if I were looking for extended oil changes and cleanliness. High TBN's and plenty of detergency to go the distance.

Most modern Conventional oils will go much further than most people think as well.

Run it with confidence as it is good oil.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Bryanccfshr said:
I am slowly creping to that side, having filled my Taco with M1 0w30 I have enough for two years At 12 month intervals.
What made you choose 0W-30 instead of 5W-30? How many miles do you plan to go between changes? Just curious.

·
I LIVE FOR THIS
1,700 Posts
VolcomTacoma said:
What made you choose 0W-30 instead of 5W-30? How many miles do you plan to go between changes? Just curious.
If you checkout www.gadgetonline.com and click on his 4 runner page it will give you some info about amsoil. He went something like 18K on series 2000 with no signs of problems.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Im a fan of Mobil 1 synthetic with a Mobil 1 filter. 5w30 in the winter & 10w40 in the summer with 5000 mile oci's. Walmart always sells it by the gallon jug for less than $20.00.
Can't beat the price for that quality oil, IMHO.

·
Stinks like fish
986 Posts
VolcomTacoma said:
My Tacoma gets low miles because it is infrequently driven. When it is driven I rack up 40-200 miles at a pop and most of those miles are farly severe(offroad and high temp). I have been running 6 month oil change intervals on conventional oil since I got the truck(jan 2002) My most recent 6 month interval was less than 3000 miles! at a little over 3 years old I have 24k miles. Any good quality synthetic will last me a year as long as it doesn't get contaminated. I am not going to approach the limitations of the oil and it doesn't die of old age.

Why did I choose m1 0w30???
:D It was on clearance for $2.00 a quart at autozone. It's a very good oil that was on clearance because people are afraid of the 0w. Nothing wrong with it for my planned 1 year 8-10k mile intervals. Plus the SL M1 0W30 is indeed an ACEA A5 rated oil(extended drain/low friction) unlike the current M1 5w30.

I can't resist good deals.. I also bought a bunch of Valvo Maxlife synthetic for cheap but I consider it 6 month/7500 mile oil despite it's great additive package.

Amsoil is a great oil too, some of their products are much better (2000&3000) than others. I just keep finding good deals; it is hard for me to order boutique oils as I have a growing stockpile. If I didn't get a thrill from finding good deals I would order the oil online. Some people have better things to do with their time than to go oil shopping!:eek:

If you go Amsoil sign up as a preferred customer and get the discounts. Only fools pay retail for oil.

·
Registered
28 Posts
jon_7248 said:
Let me revise my comment about, we have nothing against amsoil, just wouldnt go with the "NEVER CHANGE YOUR OIL" for 100k that they try to push.

That's a bit on the embellishment side. I use amsoil in all of my vehicles, including my 2 SCCA race cars, my Tacoma, my Wifes Protege5, and my ghetto 85 crew cab chevy tow rig. All of them, with exception to the race cars get their oil changed once a year approx 20-25,000 miles, the filter is changed twice a year. I've been using thier products for 12 years now. Utilizing their oil testing service, they have helped me find the best oil for the track cars, and cut oil changes in 1/2 on those.

·
Stinks like fish
986 Posts
jon_7248 said:

Since we are picking on you this morning :xdevil: Let me point out a few fallacies.

Formulated motor oil is not a neutral substance. Substantial amounts of money are put into the additive chemistry. Acids are neutralized by these additives. The more or higher quality of these additives the longer an oil can stay in use.
That along with antioxidants and higher quality oxidadation and nitration resistant basesstocks make a good package.

When I first heard of these extended oil changes I was weary and stayed with my conventional oils and didn't think twice about it, I de ied it was possible for years. But as I researched the issue more and more there is more to it than I thought. Just about everyone can take there oil further.

The doubting Thomases will use the cheap insurance bit now.:rolleyes:

If you wouldn't mind changing your oil every 10k look into it. It's doable. And is only considered a moderate interval with a quality formulation.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Bryanccfshr said:
Since we are picking on you this morning :xdevil:

Dont mind getting picked on... it's what im used to.

I know that we can prolong our oil change intervals and still keep the engine in a safe operating condition (no metals everywhere, acids, etc). It's just the "never change your oil" that bugs the daylights out of me. I know im not one to make changes easily, guess im old fashioned.

·
Stinks like fish
986 Posts
Oil Should be changed before the insoubles start doing damage and the additives get depleted. This is dependent on driving conditions, the engine(some makes are easier on oils while others tear the best oil up in short time) the engines mechanical condition and the quality of the oil.
This can only be positively determined by oil analysis on your vehicle.

The only oil I know of that advertises "for Life" is Synlube, and I don't trust it either.

If you want to research the issue follow these links http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=002070#000000
Here is one that went 7300 miles on regular ole castrolGTX conventional., no big deal
http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=001528
A very nice looking report on a 4.7 v-8 and M1
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=001892#000006
A nice report for the 4 banger 2.7 community
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=001864#000000

That should keep you busy for a while if you are curious.
It should also create more questions than answers if you read through it all.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I use Amsoil and change my oil every 5000mi. I don't mind spending the $4 a quart on a high quality product. I don't use Amsoil for it's longevity qualities, just so I can run the same oil for one year. It doesn't matter what brand of oil you put in, the oil is still going to get dirty. I'm not going to snivel about $25 two to three times a year for an oil change. My Toyota is well worth it!
Toyota's Rock!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts