TTORA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1992. Landcruiser rolled off the showroom floor.... (this is my first official post.)

July 2010. This land cruiser power plant is removed.

July 2010. 5.3 V8, trans, harness and ECU, and adapter ordered.

Gotta start somewhere.

Should I post pics along the way for the build, and exactly where should I do this....

Wayne

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll be sure and post everything I can. I'll start shooting pics on Monday or Tuesday. I'm also posting on another forum, so I'll probably co-ordinate pics.

I don't really know why, I guess it's just a hobby for me. I do this for other people, but I'm actually excited about doing this for ME instead of everybody else.

I'm going with the 5.3 conversion, auto, AA adapter, and GM computer so I can tune/modify it. I've found a connector for the factory Toyota stuff, so I'm pretty much going to literally make this a plug and play deal... I can't wait.

I need more room for the kids too so, the wifey stays happy.

I'm an ex Toyota mechanic, so this will be a walk in the park.

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
Booooooooo......

Just say NO to a Vortec or Ls !!!!....Say YES, to a 4.7 2UZ :p

But.....I can't wait to see this in action...subscribed..:xpopcorn2

·
Registered
212 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Boooo to my pocket book....

I'm an EX Toyota mechanic, if that makes a difference. Went to T-10 WAAAAAy back in the day too. I'd say I got my start on Toyota's.

Here's my reason for NOT going with a Toyota motor plain and simple. Actually two.

1. I can't use a factory computer and modify it. (I build racing wire harnesses and calibrate computers, so I'm not afraid of running a stand alone, but WHY?) I only really like Motec and Factory reflash equiptment anyway.

2. Cost. Are you kidding me? For 1500 or so, I have engine, trans, ecu and harness, and I'm making it a plug and play system, and for $100, I can tune my own computer.

I sell the MAP ECU speed density stuff for other Toyota's, but you still have to make the factory ECU happy, and forget that. Not on a swap. I've gotten it to even work on a twin turbo Lexuxs ISF, BUT everything had to be perfect.

I am watching my friend Brad go through more headaches trying to get his v8 in his IS 300 Wagon swap working without a check engine light; and that scarred me. Set it and Forget it. I bet I can even make a 96-97 PASS obdII emissions with a GM v8 in there. *update* His car is running. No CEL's. It's 1UZ, rods, pistons, head work and a nice big supercharger on top. What a pita that was for him. Now we just need to tune it.

I know I could just use a Mega Squirt, but the GM computer kicks that computers ass. And in the end it still costs ALOT less.

That's my rational anyway. I'm not opposed to doing a Toyota engine swap though. I love the V8's.

Pics will come monday or tuesday. FYI, I'll have a good engine/transmission that has already been rebuilt ready to sell; put it to you this way... even all the BRACKETS AND BOLTS have been re-plated when it was rebuilt. You guys would have been proud... *update* the pics are on my work computer.

I am on two forums so I forget to update this one too. Sorry.
Update, I got the AA kit coming for the trans to transfer.

This swap I am intending to be semi plain, and no frilly engine cosmetics, but SUPER clean, and more importantly, REPEATABLE..... :)

I'm waiting on the parts to show up, so until then,
I have a freshly rebuild LC engine and trans for sale, since it relates to this thread if anyone is interested. PM me for details. Ya, there's 1500 miles on the 6cyl overhaul. Even all the little bolts and brackets have been re zinc plated.

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
From one Toyota Tech to another....(still boo) :p

But I agree...Unless You want mapping/tuning/big Hp ..You gotta toss some seriuos coin on a Toyota......

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Motec is very expensive. We are running F-Conn on our Evo, AEM wideband is crap!

Anyway, cool swap dude. I am in the market for a cheap FJ80 and a motor swap just sounds awesome. Especially a LS series... Cheap, reliable, easy to make power and plenty of room under the hood of that sucker!

Would love to see a full build thread, if the harness are plug and play, then all I'd have to do is get motor and trans mounts and boom... done.

Very interested. I have been wanting to do a project like this.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Well, I did finish building the plug and play ecu for the factory 1992 Land cruiser. For people that need to be able to tune due to forced induction.. :)
Good lord. Making a drag Land Cruiser right now? LOL

Take pics. Lots of pics. I may be a step behind you :welder:

·
Registered
688 Posts
I have to agree with him, with all that said above about cost and tunning, you have to consider that the 5.3 makes more power and torque and a WHOLE lot more compact without those massive DOHC heads. I'm a toyota freak but I do think the LS engine family is one of the best engines out there for reliability, power, packaging... we stuffed LS1's in older nissan sport cars and NEVER complained... that's my 2-cents

·
Registered
688 Posts
oh wow dude, now I'm so fucking mad that I sold my 95 L.C.!! I loved that truck but didn't love me back at the gas station, you think you will get any better mileage?? do you have the full locker option?

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I dont know man, my 350'd fj60 seems to get better mileage than my 93 80..... lol

D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts