TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I spent my free time this weekend installing my rock lights. I have 2 behind the frond tires and to behind the rear bumper pointed to the front of the truck. I will get some pic's up once it gets darker out so you can see how they light up.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Under front doors just after body mount.

Tucked up under the bed right next to the bumper.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Not bad, not bad at all. What lights did you use? I want to hook my ride up soon. Really Mike it looks real good. I dig em.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Ummm ... that's great for when we're spotting you backing off the rock we couldn't see when you were going forward!

Need some light on the front side of the wheels!

(Oh and for the record, rock lights eat up a TON of alternator power, I would highly recommend people look into LED versions!)

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I am going to get 4 more any ways. it needs more under there but I figured it was a good start

EDIT: Problem with LED's is there not cheap...

·
Registered
609 Posts
Yeah when I read up on getting some a couple months ago it seemed like LED was the way to go. Way less power and longer life seem to be worth the xtra coin.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hear you on that but I found my lights that I used on sale about 4 months ago at a walmart. I think I only spent $10-$15 on 2 sets. That is the reson I picked them up plus I don't wheel at night to much. I think I will buy my Piaa 520's first before I switch them out to LED's.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
7,735 Posts
Those seem cool.. i thought it was funny that one of them had a recommendation of a strobe switch.. how odd would it be to spot somebody with green light strobing?.. odd might not be the right word.. perhaps annoying? But it _would_ look cool seeing a truck driving down the trail with a red/green/blue glow from underneath. geez.. this is starting to sound like a post on customtaco or something.

Seriously I like that idea for the pretty small led. Heck, the mini's on that page are only 1" by .25... but the attachment is with adhesive.. I wonder how long that would last with dust/mud/water/etc. Were you thinking of going with "RAUW01 - Ultimate Off-Road LED - White" which has an alum mount that's 1" x 4.250"x.375"?

I'm curious about TC's post.. since these offer 180* light (not directional like typical rock lights) and supposedly 6'x6' coverage... what configuration would you mount them? 1 in front of each front tire, 2 on either side in the middle and maybe 1 behind each rear (for a total of 6)?

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Those seem cool.. i thought it was funny that one of them had a recommendation of a strobe switch.. how odd would it be to spot somebody with green light strobing?.. odd might not be the right word.. perhaps annoying? But it _would_ look cool seeing a truck driving down the trail with a red/green/blue glow from underneath. geez.. this is starting to sound like a post on customtaco or something.

Seriously I like that idea for the pretty small led. Heck, the mini's on that page are only 1" by .25... but the attachment is with adhesive.. I wonder how long that would last with dust/mud/water/etc. Were you thinking of going with "RAUW01 - Ultimate Off-Road LED - White" which has an alum mount that's 1" x 4.250"x.375"?
I would more then likely go with the white but the blue would look cool. :D It would just be way to CustomTaco for me. :D

I'm curious about TC's post.. since these offer 180* light (not directional like typical rock lights) and supposedly 6'x6' coverage... what configuration would you mount them? 1 in front of each front tire, 2 on either side in the middle and maybe 1 behind each rear (for a total of 6)?
Yep. That is what I was thinking.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Add the cost of a high output alternator on the cost of your cheapie lights and the LED's are a BARGAIN.

The guy I saw with LED's had 6 or 8, and the coverage was great and they were BRIGHT. Drew less than an amp too ...

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Hey Doug, I've got some of the Roundeyes that I haven't installed yet (was pondering the Jeep or the truck), if you want to see how bright they are.

·
7,735 Posts
I've no doubt that they are bright... you are obsessed with these led's and creating the light of the sun. I trust you. The amperage draw, lifetime of the light and durability are strong decision makers for me. I'm sold.

What I'm curious about is placement. Bright as hell will still make shadows when the wheel is in the way, and it doesn't matter if the coverage is 6' or 800'.

I think they are a really good idea if you do night wheelin (not my favorite, I have enough trouble when I can see everything) but I'm mostly curious about the placement to get sufficient coverage at key spots (in front of the tires, around the t-case, diff, frame rails, etc).

I still think strobe green would be just spooky looking from a distance. If it wasn't $30/light I'd give it a try just to see it in action.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I've no doubt that they are bright... you are obsessed with these led's and creating the light of the sun. I trust you. The amperage draw, lifetime of the light and durability are strong decision makers for me. I'm sold.

What I'm curious about is placement. Bright as hell will still make shadows when the wheel is in the way, and it doesn't matter if the coverage is 6' or 800'.

I think they are a really good idea if you do night wheelin (not my favorite, I have enough trouble when I can see everything) but I'm mostly curious about the placement to get sufficient coverage at key spots (in front of the tires, around the t-case, diff, frame rails, etc).

I still think strobe green would be just spooky looking from a distance. If it wasn't $30/light I'd give it a try just to see it in action.
You try those bulbs I gave you? And lights are my obsession, I can't leave a lighting system stock.

Some installed.

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25768&highlight=roundeyes

http://www.yotatech.com/f131/led-rocklights-installed-pics-77133/

·
Registered
833 Posts
I've looked at the specs for the roundeye rock lights - yes they are only 350 mA current draw, but that is 5 Watts at a typical 14.2 vdc system voltage. That means they are wasting almost 4 Watts of that power per LED. They are probably using a (string of) series resistors to limit the current to 350 mA across the 3.5 VDC LED.

It would be most efficient to use 4 LEDs in series for each string, so that all the power went to the LEDs, but then if one failed they'd all burn out.

A switched-capacitor voltage divider would probably be the most efficient way to drive these lights on a 14.2 VDC system, but that might generate a lot of electrical noise unless done carefully.

So wasting that power might not be a bad option. Those resistors would get HOT, though so be careful where you put them.

The LEDs themselves cost about $6 each, so $30 for a robustly-packaged light is not unreasonable. IMHO you should not get the strobe switch they sell for $30. The damned thing is almost 4x5x8" !!!! Where ya gonna mount that? A normal switch-and-relay (or even a 3 Amp rated switch) would be a better choice.

I see that all the posts on these switches are 2 years old, and no reports by hard-trailing users like us. I'm worried about specific mounting locations and how they last under abuse. Anybody seen an after-action report on them?

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
These LED's are the brightest on the market. Each one (1) will light up an area about 5 foot square and 5 foot off the ground. Once they are installed on a vehicle, the illumination is awesome. Don't get me wrong here, it's not daylight but it's a nice even glow so you can see very well at night. They are waterproof and durable. You can leave them on all night and your rig will start in the morning. It just depends on what you want. Yes the cost is high but it's the best we can do. They are made in America and assembled by handicapped persons which is why we carry them. They are unique and work awesome for what they are designed for.
If you purchase any color of six (6), totaling $179.70, we will provide free shipping within the lower 50 States going ground. You must order online and choose store pickup upon checkout for this promotion to apply. If you have further questions, please email or call us.
Found this at the bottom of: http://www.jeeps-offroad.com/showthread.php?t=16657

But yes you are right everything on these are from back in 06

·
Registered
746 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Those are mounted up high on the frame rails. So with your skids and sliders I would hope they would be protected. :D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts