TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Animal Control wants to Kill my Shar-pi

Yesterday I let my dogs out of the kennel. Forgot the front gate was open, shoot, ran out front and the Shar-pi and the bull mastif-rott was out, pit bull stayed in the yard. I ran to go look for them and they were in the neighbors yard chasing their geese. By the time I got there both geese were dead and feathers all over the yard. They called 911 and animal control. I got my dogs and put them back in the cage, the shar-pi is alittle agressive twords other animals but not humans, the bull-mastif just follows her and is big and dumb and wouldn't hurt a fly. I ran back over the neighbors to see if I could do anything but it was to late, animal control put down the geese. When they came over my house they said that the dogs were vicious and that my property insurance would be dropped if I kept them, I knew that the shar-pi killed them but animal control wanted to kill both of my dogs, WTF. I let them take the shar-pi but not the bull-mastif-rotwiler, it it true that the Home owners will drop me? It was the first time and my son and wife are still crying and I feel bad that I had to choose, sorry just venting, I feel really bad that I had to make this decision, What a great day after Christmas. :(

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
EVOM1 said:
Yesterday I let my dogs out of the kennel. Forgot the front gate was open, shoot, ran out front and the Shar-pi and the bull mastif-rott was out, pit bull stayed in the yard. I ran to go look for them and they were in the neighbors yard chasing their geese. By the time I got there both geese were dead and feathers all over the yard. They called 911 and animal control. I got my dogs and put them back in the cage, the shar-pi is alittle agressive twords other animals but not humans, the bull-mastif just follows her and is big and dumb and wouldn't hurt a fly. I ran back over the neighbors to see if I could do anything but it was to late, animal control put down the geese. When they came over my house they said that the dogs were vicious and that my property insurance would be dropped if I kept them, I knew that the shar-pi killed them but animal control wanted to kill both of my dogs, WTF. I let them take the shar-pi but not the bull-mastif-rotwiler, it it true that the Home owners will drop me? It was the first time and my son and wife are still crying and I feel bad that I had to choose, sorry just venting, I feel really bad that I had to make this decision, What a great day after Christmas. :(
not sure if animal control can kill the dog for first offense not towards a human. As for home owners ins. animal control might be talking out their butt hole. call your insurance and tell them what happened. I'd contact legal referall service and talk to an attorney for like $50.
good luck and it does suck.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss. I know how it is. My sweet Border Collie bit a 10 year old who was teasing him. Had to put him down just after New Years last year, really tough.

I don't think you homeowners will drop you, they will probably just add a clause that they will not cover you for "dog related incidents" - So if your dog does bite someone, U R fawked. If you want dog coverage, expect to pay through the nose. I am surprised you even got homeowners coverage in California with the a Rottweiler mix, usually they exclude them from the beginning because they are "aggressive".

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The shar-pi was only 8 months old just a puppy still, the rott-mastif mix is dumber than a box of rox.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
DakotaTacoma said:
Sorry to hear about your loss. I know how it is. My sweet Border Collie bit a 10 year old who was teasing him. Had to put him down just after New Years last year, really tough.

I don't think you homeowners will drop you, they will probably just add a clause that they will not cover you for "dog related incidents" - So if your dog does bite someone, U R fawked. If you want dog coverage, expect to pay through the nose. I am surprised you even got homeowners coverage in California with the a Rottweiler mix, usually they exclude them from the beginning because they are "aggressive".

Sorry to hear about your BC. I have a 4 year old BC. He is the best dog. He only snaps at strange dogs that get too close to his face. It rarely does any damage cause his teeth are really worn from playing ball so much.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
EVOM1 said:
Sorry about your lose. I believe it really depends on the city you live in. My friends Korean Hunting dog killed their neighbor's cat. The dog was picked up by animal control. The city gave him two choices. Pay a fine (I believe it was like $500) put warning signs in front of his house warning of vicious dog and whenever he was out the dog will be leashed and have a yellow tag around his collar warning others of vicious dog or they could put him down. He still had to pay like a $300 fine. I can understand if the dog kill a family pet but geese are livestock. All dogs instinctly knows how to kill. Its just the degree of kill drive that differ from dog to dog.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Called the place they took her to to be put down and she is still alive, Im on the phone with the officer to see if she will release her. The people at the shelter said that she is in with other dogs and she has been no problem what so ever, and she is the nicest dog that they have had in a long time. So, I'm gonna try to get her back

Attachments

·
Registered
951 Posts
sounds like a bunch of shit to me. she killed a few geese, big deal, pay the neighbor and get your dog back. I don't think animal control had any right to take the dog. there is a thing called due process. the most they should have the authority to do is to make you quarantine your dog in your own home. But you do live in the People's Republic of Kalifornia, so God knows what rights (if any) you have regarding your dog. The law probably protects the geese to a greater degree than your personal rights.....just a rant, but seriously, get your dog back, and sorry to hear about the bad situation

Boheefus

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
EVOM1 said:
alled the place they took her to to be put down and she is still alive, Im on the phone with the officer to see if she will release her. The people at the shelter said that she is in with other dogs and she has been no problem what so ever, and she is the nicest dog that they have had in a long time. So, I'm gonna try to get her back[/QUOTE]

I wish you all the luck in getting the dog back. If your not able to get the dog back, I suggest finding out the laws pretaining to this type situation and use the law to yor advantage to F$% over animal control.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
EVOM1 said:
alled the place they took her to to be put down and she is still alive, Im on the phone with the officer to see if she will release her. The people at the shelter said that she is in with other dogs and she has been no problem what so ever, and she is the nicest dog that they have had in a long time. So, I'm gonna try to get her back[/QUOTE]
They shouldent have taken the dog, we have incidents like this all the time out at my parents place, hell our dogs have dragged a few sheep back before.. shit happens dogs are hunters just like every other animial, they didnt take human life, they are not viscious towards humans.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The animal control officer use to be a sherrif and I think she is trying to prover herself. Thanks for the support. Is up to her now and she will try to take as long as possiable.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
EVOM1 said:
The animal control officer use to be a sherrif and I think she is trying to prover herself. Thanks for the support. Is up to her now and she will try to take as long as possiable.
call her boos and talk with them about this situation. If she is in the wrong (animal control officer) then what do you care if she gets reprimanded (sp) or fired as long as you get your dog back.

Hell threathen them with going to the local papers, radio stations and news channels. they too have laws to adhere to.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm getting ready to do somthing! They think they are gods and answer to no one, WTF. Do they issue that attitude in boot camp? I thought my wife was going to knock her out.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
EVOM1 said:
I'm getting ready to do somthing! They think they are gods and answer to no one, WTF. Do they issue that attitude in boot camp? I thought my wife was going to knock her out.
what part of crapofornia are you in???
and I think you'd be doing everyone a favor if you just shoot the B!TCH!!!!!
animal control officer not your wife LOL

·
Registered
95 Posts
As I understood it for an animal to be put down there has to be some sort of investigation and ruling handed down by some sort of governing body, like a judge. Animal control just can't put them down if they don't pose an immediate threat. And as far as the home owners insurance I think you should be good because Shar-pi's usually are not known for their aggressive behavior. Besides who's going to tell your insurance company. The neighbors can sue you for the cost of the geese but they don't cost that much so it's going to be a small claims issue. The neighbors might be partly at fault if the geese were in a place their not suppossed to be in. County or city codes for fowl usually say they have to be kept in some sort of enclusure and can't just be free roaming. So if the geese were in the front yard the neighbors can be as much in the wrong as you for letting the dogs get out, also geese are known for there aggressive behavior so you could say the geese was aggressive toward your dog, which left your Shar-pi with no other choice but then to put the smack down and f that bird up. Anyway good luck, I hope you get him back soon.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
I had a Sharpei that died of kidney failure at the age of 7 - absolutely the GREATEST animal I ever had. I still shed a tear when I think of him. Hope you get yours back.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Animal control called, I can go get my dog! Thanks all

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
grumpy said:
what part of crapofornia are you in???
and I think you'd be doing everyone a favor if you just shoot the B!TCH!!!!!
animal control officer not your wife LOL
Riverside county

·
Registered
271 Posts
that sounds like bullshit on their part, even though you did get your dog back. i would atleast talk with local authorities and let them know who it was that was abusing their power, if nothing more than to make a record of it incase something similar happens, and the dog doesnt get to go back home. if you really wanted to get down and dirty, it sounds like your wife and kid suffered from emotional distress to me...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts