TTORA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have no idea what this is, got my brakes checked its not them. it is as loud as it is at 30mph as it is at 5mph, it goes away when i hit about 2mph then starts up again when i start accelerating. engine revs have no affect and the brakes have no affect. it does it in every gear and is one constant pitch that doesnt vary with rpm's or speed except under 2mph. does anyone have this issue or have any idea what it could be?

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
no one has the same symptoms?

its not everytime i drive my truck but it is loudest after driving for longer durations.

·
Registered
22 Posts
have you greased all the fittings on your drive shaft recently? any ideas what part of the vehicle ie. front, rear, right, left, that it is comming from?

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
all of the driveshaft stuff has had alot of attention lately, it sounds more from the rear if anything, cant tell side

·
Registered
680 Posts
One of the u-joints.

One of the ones in the double-C was going on my old 1997 and it drove me frigging nuts. It'll get worse though, don't worry.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
could be but i doubt the ujoints with all the attention they have recieved lately. anyways i took it to the stealership today for a full inspection.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
its weird to me that the pitch doesnt change with speed or rpm's so i dunno if the carrier bearing is out. i just replaced it 4 months ago

·
Registered
340 Posts
I was just throwing it out there. I just replaced the carrier on my truck 2 weeks ago after smashing it on a rock, but something is still squeeling on my truck as well.
I'm going to lift the rear this weekend and see if I can't pinpoint the noise. Let me know what they find out so I know what to look for, haha.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i am led to believe its the rubber in the carrier bearing. i am gonna keep it lubed with some spray shit to see if it keeps the soudn away

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well it is for sure the carrier bearing on the driveshaft. i lifted the back of the truck and spun the wheels and the screeee came from it. it just sounds like rubber is making the noise. not really a metal type of squeel. any way to lube that shit so it goes away?

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
When you just replace the carrier bearing it will do that for a couple weeks. I just did mine and had the same problem.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I noticed that the shaft going through the carrier is pointing down on mine, pushing down on the rubber part. I don't know if it's because it was a cheap made carrier or what. I've been thinking of dropping the carrier down 1/4 of an inch to see if that helps. I'll give it a try this weekend, unless someone else has a better solution.

But, I guess it's also possible that I bent the crossmember when I got hung up on it wheeling...

·
Registered
521 Posts
S

No lie. I have the same symptoms on my 02 Tacoma. I can figure out what it is but everybody insists it is the brakes and its not???

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
well it is for sure the carrier bearing on the driveshaft. i lifted the back of the truck and spun the wheels and the screeee came from it. it just sounds like rubber is making the noise. not really a metal type of squeel. any way to lube that shit so it goes away?
throw some ATF on it.....for a quick temp fix

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No lie. I have the same symptoms on my 02 Tacoma. I can figure out what it is but everybody insists it is the brakes and its not???
i jacked up the truck and turned the wheels so i could see/hear where the noise was coming from

·
Banned
1,254 Posts
I have a very similiar noise that started when my ujoints got kinda dry 6+ months ago. I think the snow & water washed the grease out-either that or sand/grit got in and is tearing them up. No vibration whatsoever. Not brakes, only does it when to take off/when driveshaft is spinning. I greased the ujoints several times since then and only push out some really dark grease, sometimes for like 15 pumps. I thought it was that section between the double ujoints. So it went away to about 2-3 months and it came back again. Greased everything again this morning, 15 pumps+ on some to get clear grease out. After a 5 minute test ride it`s still doing it.

gotta be in the driveshaft, or a belt powered bearing/possible even a belt slipping. really sounds like a bad bearing somewhere, replaced my water pump about a month ago.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts