TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah I know there's already been a writeup or two on this bumper but here's another. I picked up the bumper (and sliders, to be installed later) this past Tuesday, painted it on Thursday night and mounted it on Friday night. Heres the bumper.
[/IMG]
Wiped it down with some paint thinner first. Then came the rattle cans. I used all Krylon Rust Tough Enamel. 2 cans of grey primer, 2 cans of semi-flat black and 2 cans of glossy black.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
I would not recommend painting it upside down as I did because I ended up doing a freaking awesome job on the bottom of the bumper and a crap job on the top (I've got a bit of touch up to do).

I pulled the grill but I don't remember whether or not that it was neccessary. I took about 40 minutes to remove the stock bumper and about 5 minutes to bolt on the new.
[/IMG]

Here it is installed.

[/IMG]

Now I just need to go pick up my winch.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
looks great

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MrGrimm said:
looks great! this is the one i might eventually go with. how heavy do you think it is? oh and what kind of winch do you plan on getting?
As far as weight goes I'd say it's pushing 100 pounds or so but don't quote me, I can hold it up by myself no problem. As far as the winch goes I just took a little trip down to 4 wheel parts and picked up a warn M8000, $560 out the door.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lost Canadian said:
Question. Are the stock 6 bolts at the front of the frame the only bolts used to mount it?
There is also one bolt on each side right below the 3 that bolts up into the frame, however one weird thing was that I had to shim it with 4 washers(provided) on each side. My thought was that maybe there are some differences on different trucks so they purposely left a void to account for it, maybe All Pro will correct me on that. But the bumper is on there solid. I was yankin and jumpin on it and it doesn't budge. I stocked on the quality and highly recommend it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
tacosupreme said:
Looks like you need a tire rotation and an alignment. Bumper looks sweet though.
Yeah I'm just trying to wear out the stockers so I can get a little better of a tire. I drive a mountain rode every day to work and I go through tires pretty quick anyways so I've decided to go with BFG AT's and take advantage of their 50000 mile warranty.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
damn....... that looks good. I just don't get the 2 little hoops at kinda behind the headlights..... what function do they serve? looks like none to me, lol. I think the bumper would have turned out a lot better on their end if they would have done w/ a prerunner look instead. Either way, great lookin bumper!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Journeyman said:
There is also one bolt on each side right below the 3 that bolts up into the frame, however one weird thing was that I had to shim it with 4 washers(provided) on each side. My thought was that maybe there are some differences on different trucks so they purposely left a void to account for it, maybe All Pro will correct me on that. But the bumper is on there solid. I was yankin and jumpin on it and it doesn't budge. I stocked on the quality and highly recommend it.
I mean no disrespect but that doesn't appear to me to be a whole lot of support for a winch application. It's just most winch style bumpers I've seen have additional supports and mounting points to spread the load and support the lateral torsion and strain a 4-5000 lb truck can produce. It looks pretty good though.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
wslytoy said:
damn....... that looks good. I just don't get the 2 little hoops at kinda behind the headlights..... what function do they serve? looks like none to me, lol. I think the bumper would have turned out a lot better on their end if they would have done w/ a prerunner look instead. Either way, great lookin bumper!
As far as the little hoops on either side, I've heard All Pro say that they can be used to either grab onto or girth hitch a strap to them to help prevent a rollover at least I believe that is their purpose. I'm not sure exactly what you mean about a prerunner look, it kind of looks prerunner to me and it gives the truck bloody awesome approach angles especially right in front of the wheels.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lost Canadian said:
I mean no disrespect but that doesn't appear to me to be a whole lot of support for a winch application. It's just most winch style bumpers I've seen have additional supports and mounting points to spread the load and support the lateral torsion and strain a 4-5000 lb truck can produce. It looks pretty good though.
I just went back out and looked at the mounting locations and the stock bolting locations are right at the boxed end of the frame rials on each side which seem to be the prime locations.

I'd like to hear from someone with an ARB on one of our trucks as to where and how many bolts that it has attaching it to the truck.

·
Banned
966 Posts
for you rattle can folks, use this on the clean bare metal (http://www.sherwin-automotive.com/products/show_product.cfm?product=7565), then use a quality primer, then paint (or use herculiner or rustoleum's garage floor 2-part epoxy) as the finish coat, will hold up allot better.

what about adding some optional bolt-on guards to protect shiat from ramming your steering rods and coilovers (which look like walker evans??).

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
EMPIRE said:
for you rattle can folks, use this on the clean bare metal (http://www.sherwin-automotive.com/products/show_product.cfm?product=7565), then use a quality primer, then paint (or use herculiner or rustoleum's garage floor 2-part epoxy) as the finish coat, will hold up allot better.

what about adding some optional bolt-on guards to protect shiat from ramming your steering rods and coilovers (which look like walker evans??).
That sounds like a good idea but I probably wont do it until I get a chance to really wheel it and it seems that it will be a problem. And you're right, the CO's are walker evans which I got from All Pro also.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Journeyman said:
I'd like to hear from someone with an ARB on one of our trucks as to where and how many bolts that it has attaching it to the truck.
I have an ARB that's why I inquired. The ARB is bolted to the 6 stock 10 mm bolts at the front, then 2x12 mm bolts under the front cross bar, there are two extension supports that are mounted to the bumper with 4x12mm bolts and the rear part of the support brackets are then mounted to the outer sides of the frame rails and are bolted on via the stock holes in the frame with 2 huge 1/2" bolts. Lastly there are 2 more 12 mm bolts that pass through the front top portion of the frame where there is the 45 degree angle. All in all 16 grade 8 bolts.

·
Registered
62 Posts
All Pro It is

I just got my 07 dcab TRD a couple of weeks ago. I just ordered all ALLPRO trail armor. I should get my bumpers front and rear and sliders next week. So I will be pushing the rattle cans until my finger is shot. I called to see how much to powder coat. Cheapest was $350. Lots of cans of paint for that much.

Good pics. I needed to see that. Sounds like it was a bit of a project to get the bumper off. Any hints or info on how to do it.

Thanks
BlackDog

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
wslytoy said:
hey man i think thats for hi lift points so it doesnt slip off or somthing. i dont remember if thats just what i decided or if i read it somwhere

1 - 20 of 64 Posts