TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yes, I know it has been done before, oh well. I just got my ARB bumper a little while ago. Just wanna say thanks for the Folks at Toyota of Dallas..The bumper arrived packed in a layer of styrofoam wrap, card board and shrink wrap. All of the impact points had recieved extra cardboard etc. The bumper arrived with out a single stratch. 2 packages, a total of 165 lbs, I filled a recycle bin with probably 25 lbs of cardboard. I know a lot of people on here say the ARB is an anchor but I am happy with my purchase. Inspection of the bumper shows it to be a quality product. I am bummed that I won't be able to put it on until this weekend..

it was wrapped extremely well:
[/IMG]
not a stratch:
[/IMG]
inside shots:
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
soon it won't look so plain:
[/IMG]

The included instructions and hardware seem to be pretty straight forward.
I will look to sisyphus, 2tense, and cedarbarns thread for directions too. I will post up a short write up later this weekend.

·
Registered
332 Posts
good shit dude, its always so hard to wait to put on the new toys!
later

·
Registered
550 Posts
inventory all the crap they sent you while waiting for the install if you have time. I was in school so i couldnt install my ARB right away, so i inventoried all the nuts and bolts, and realized I was missing a couple! No big deal, but still you dont want to have to drive to the store with your bumper half falling off... ;)

·
Registered
332 Posts
white_eskimo said:
inventory all the crap they sent you while waiting for the install if you have time. I was in school so i couldnt install my ARB right away, so i inventoried all the nuts and bolts, and realized I was missing a couple! No big deal, but still you dont want to have to drive to the store with your bumper half falling off... ;)
a simmailar situation to what many of us have done im sure... well at least me!
later
Zach

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's ON!!

white_eskimo said:
Yep, I did that but miscounted...I was short a couple of bolts short for the last 2 that I need to use as the locating bolts. I went ahead and drill the last 2 holes and will hit ACE for some grade 5 or 8 bolts tomorrow
The install went very well, it took about 2.5 hours or so. ARB's instructions were pretty good. I started very late, was dark when I got done so will take some pictures and post tomorrow.
For some reason I always thought that the outside hoop came straight down into the bumper, but turned out it has a slight bend on each side...Similar to what the Shrockworks ended up with.
The ARB is one well built piece of steel. The bumper is attached at several points on each side of the truck. There is a lot of opening in the bumper to allow good air flow to the truck for cooling.
It is nice to have the piece of Tupperware that Toyota claimed was a bumper off the front end. I don't wanna get in an accident, but feel a bit safer now :2cents:
Driving impression was great. I did not notice any difference in handling with the extra weight upfront, no new rubbing sounds...The handling may seem different went I get a winch mounted up front later in the year (hopefully).
Having someone help with the mounting of the bumper is a definite plus getting it aligned etc...

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
I like the ARB, the only thing that bothers me is it doesn't incorperate the stock fog lights, and I'm quite fond of my stock fog lights. Now, granted, not all Tacomas come w/ the fog lights which is kinda shafty to me. So I can understand, to a certain degree, that ARB didn't cut out holes for the fog lights.... But still, I think it'd be cool if they did.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I won't post all the pictures since there have been a couple full installs posted. The ARB instructions are great.
Stock Rubbermade removed:
[/IMG]
Main bracket installed, held on at 5 points on each side:
[/IMG]
Extra tensioning brackets that are include at more support to each side:
[/IMG]
Final:
[/IMG]

I too wish that they had cut outs for some fog lights. It was mentioned in another thread that was a $300 kit...I chose just to add some on top. Someone could probably cut holes using a plasma cutter or other device if they chose. There is also a set of brackets welded on top that would allow a set to be mounted like how 2Tense did.
One thing that impressed me about the ARB was how there is a drain hole where ever water may accumalate--nice feature to help limit potential rust.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Looks good!

What are ya gonna sneak past yer wife next? :)

·
Registered
550 Posts
ocdropzone said:
There is a lot of opening in the bumper to allow good air flow to the truck for cooling.

this is both good and bad. As I am sure you found out, the splashguard thing is very thin steel, and while it looks good and allows airflow due to all of the holes, it doesnt provide any protection. A large branch went through one of those holes and smashed my radiator. I haven't gotten it fixed yet lol, and the truck seems to be running fine (ie- not overheating). I dont feel the need to dish out the money for a brand new radiator anyways. Still though, just be aware of that when you drive!

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You are right to an extent...I had a ton of crap go up between the stock stuff too..May have something made to replace it but it will do for now...

·
Registered
45 Posts
i dont have an arb but i have been wanting a bumper, i have notice that they dont have the fog lights how hard would it be to torch and grind out the holes to smoothe???(stupid idea) yes i know shrock works has a bumper with the holes for them but i can get the arb $300 less, also all pro does look good but provides no protection for the way we ride down here

·
Registered
45 Posts
badmoonrising said:
tacoma2006 said:
how hard would it be to torch and grind out the holes to smoothe???(stupid idea) QUOTE]

might depend on the person alittle bit
we got the stuff to do it with welding machine, plate bender, torch, etc. i just wanted to know if there is a bracket or somthing already on the bumper that if we do torch out will weaken it, or a brace that might get in the way

·
Registered
45 Posts
badmoonrising said:
if you have that stuff then why bother win an arb? just make one
no time to actually take a day or two, and i dont feel like driving around with my radiator vulneralbe to rocks and debrie... while torching two holes and put the fog light in might take like an hour and a half, give or take

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
tacoma2006 said:
no time to actually take a day or two, and i dont feel like driving around with my radiator vulneralbe to rocks and debrie... while torching two holes and put the fog light in might take like an hour and a half, give or take

It would not be that hard. On either side, if you went with a small 4" or so light (like a PIAA 510) there would be room. Only bracket you need to watch out for is for the parking light/turnsignal. Or maybe just use that cut out as a starting point and put in a retangular light If you do it, I would recommend using a plasma cutter versus a torch. it all comes down to the ability/skill of the person holding the tool. There is a sticker on the inside of the bumper that basically says if you modify the bumper in anyway, the warranty would be void...but who cares...I may cut some holes myself.

·
Registered
137 Posts
tacoma2006 said:
i dont have an arb but i have been wanting a bumper, i have notice that they dont have the fog lights how hard would it be to torch and grind out the holes to smoothe???(stupid idea) yes i know shrock works has a bumper with the holes for them but i can get the arb $300 less, also all pro does look good but provides no protection for the way we ride down here
Should be really easy to do, especially if you have a plasma torch.

I was the one who contacted ARB and asked about the fog light kit off the Prado; the rubber parts were only $30 each (hardware added a bit more), but the light kit was over $300. I figured it would be easier and cheaper to just cut some 4.25" holes in the bumper and then weld some mounting tabs behind and below, put some rubber trim around the hole and mount some 4" Hellas/Piaas/ insert light of your choice here. There is nothing behind the flat surface to interfere with doing this as long as you don't go with some monster lights.

Robert,

Sorry, for the Tacoma the optional light bucket did not make the final design cut as they add a bit of expense to the bar and most inquiries we received for the Tacoma bar were concerned with pricing.

The light buckets and their related parts are:
8x 6151317 Screw $.25
1x 3162467R Surround $30.00
1x 3162467L Surround $30.00
1x 6582425RS Clamp $28.00
1x 6582425LS Clamp $28.00
6x 6151128 nut $.40

You current turn indicators are the same and will bolt into these light buckets.

The optional fog light kit is:
1x 9249FCK Fog lite kit $325.00

Best Regards,

Tim Lund
Tech Supervisor
Engineering Assistant
Air Locker, Inc.
425-264-1391
720 SW 34th St.
Renton, WA 98055
[email protected]
Please Note: This e-mail is intended only for the use of the individual or the entity named above and may contain information that is confidential and privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify immediately by return e-mail and destroy all copies of this message. Thank you.

Please note that we have moved. Our new address is:
720 SW 34th St, Renton, WA 98055-4814.

Our new fax and phone numbers are:
phone (425) 264.1391 fax (425) 264.1392​

1 - 20 of 20 Posts