TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd share a little side project I've been working on. A guy on TW talked me into building him a copy of my rear bumper for his truck. The bumper itself is essentially identical to mine except for the mounts. My bumper has a dual swing out and he just wanted a single swing out. I still have a bit more to do on it. I need to add a hilift mount diagonally behind the spare tire and also a dual fuel can rack on the driverside of the swingout.

I am without a doubt a fabrication novice but I enjoy making stuff. Overall I think this has turned out ok.

Mounted on my truck with the new swingout. Note: my truck has a small 1" body lift so the gap below the tailgate won't be there on the customers truck. Still need to do a little cleanup and finish the can carrier, then it's done.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Good work! (as usual) I did have a thought, for a future version. Have you considered a tapered "centering pin" that you could incorporate into your rubber bump stop on your swing out? It could take some shear forces when the swing out is latched and take some stress off of your hinge.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good work! (as usual) I did have a thought, for a future version. Have you considered a tapered "centering pin" that you could incorporate into your rubber bump stop on your swing out? It could take some shear forces when the swing out is latched and take some stress off of your hinge.
Yep. Considered it. I have two of them on the shelf. Although they aren't necessary. That latch is a 2000lb capacity latch and the hinge sleeve is 3/8" wall and the hinge brackets are 1/4", with a 1" grade 8 bolt for the hinge pin. That's all total overkill for the forces on this bumper.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Nice! Simple yet still looks really good. I'll definitely use this as inspiration when I start fabbing stuff for my truck someday.

·
STITCH - Come and Take it!
9,051 Posts
Badass!
Only comment - - Remind him, he will need to wire a light to the license plate - it's a requirement by most states to have this.

·
Registered
119 Posts
OK,

Unless you are going to make more of these..STOP:p :)

That BUMPER is a great piece and answers the question of form & function between the tube only & plate only bumper designs...

:saw::welder: and time plus $$$$ ..

If you NEED an East Coast "model" ,I know of an '02 that could be persuaded to carry-on "BoxRocket" designs....:cool:

Execellent build but then again We have come to expect that from you....;)

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This one is an East Coast one. Going on a truck in Virginia. Unfortunately I'm taking a break from fab work for a while. It's just been too busy. So this bumper might be the one and only of it's kind.

·
Premium Member
3,388 Posts
Whats up with that giant nut hanging down on the passenger side? I think that might get ripped off or at least ground down with some abuse. Other than that, looks good!

·
Registered
962 Posts
how much does it weigh? Just wondering, about to start fabbing up sliders, front and rear bumpers for my runner, i like the swing out, and it would eleminate my rear exo idea that I have drawn up.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Ill take one with just a tire swing out. Pm me

1 - 14 of 14 Posts