TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Another broke ring and pinion w/ pictures.

Went back up to Bald Mountian to rescue my buddy's Jeep today. He broke a Dana 35 axle yesterday on Hollywood Hill. Anyway, got him all fixed up and was heading up the hill (tons of people watching of course) and damn if my ring & pinion didn't destroy itself. :mad: After winching myself (with lots of help) to the top of the hill and then pulling my driveshaft I limped out to the trailhead in front wheel drive. A $450 tow later and I'm back home in Fresno now but the rear end sounds pretty bad, even just rolling along under front end power. I'm hoping I didn't tear up anything else. I'll find out tomorrow when I pull the third member. I'm taking it in to a local gear shop for some 4.88's because I don't want Toyota putting 3.73's back in it. What are my chances of not having torn up anything else?

I'll add my info to the sticky thread up top too.

·
Registered
235 Posts
That sucks. I wonder if when it went the first time they did not replace all the parts that were damaged. I sure hope that this is not a sign that others will have problems again and again. Good luck on the repair.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lost Canadian said:
What are the chances that you got bit by this bug twice. Crazy. Sorry to hear about your luck, that sucks.
You mean having to get the tranny replaced (I'm on my second) plus the ring and pinion. :confused: This is the first time for me on the ring and pinion, I just meant that I didn't want the 3.73 ratio that's in it now and that came with the truck when it was stock.

What has been the experience of everyone else? When the ring and pinion goes, does it take anything else with it? E-locker? Axles? Bearings? I have the 4.88's and install kit sitting in my living room, will that be enough parts?

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but no one has come out w/ front gears for the new Tacoma's yet, right? So you won't have 4WD again until someone comes out w/ the fronts.... Which sucks, but do what you think is best!

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Yer stock gears wouldn't be good for anything as far as wheelin' goes (maybe open desert flat runs hauling ass)... What size tires are you running ?

Did you have any influence to this breakage ?.. wheel hop... heavy pedal ?.. I'm not familar with this Hollywood hill place... is it rocky ?.. Lots of tire slippage ?.. Was it due to yer driving technique (hauling ass/wheel spin) ?.. Maybe the extra HP of the newer Taco gets you in trouble ?... Maybe poor quality gears (bad batch) ?..

Just curious... cause if yer going to 4.88's... those gears would be inherently weaker then what you had... I thought... (unless Toyota is found to be using poor quality gears... Maybe they are using a different supplier then the 3rd generation trucks ?)...

I'm curious to how and what conditions folks are driving their rigs... when this happens...

The new 4.88's will help a lot in delivering the torque you need to the ground... But if yer abusive... You'll more then likely end up breaking those too...

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
wslytoy said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but no one has come out w/ front gears for the new Tacoma's yet, right? So you won't have 4WD again until someone comes out w/ the fronts.... Which sucks, but do what you think is best!
Somewhat correct. That's why I already had the rear gears though, I started buying all the parts to do a regear. I've also got the RD111 ARB locker for the front and All Pro is supposed to have the rest of the parts rounded up for a front install kit sometime around 5 Dec 06. They also already have a limited supply of 4.88's for the front and are expecting more in the next month or so. The real hold-up right now is the front bearings from Toyota. So ya' for a month or so I'll be 2wd only. :( Better than being hard broke though I guess.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
rogersja63 said:
Somewhat correct. That's why I already had the rear gears though, I started buying all the parts to do a regear. I've also got the RD111 ARB locker for the front and All Pro is supposed to have the rest of the parts rounded up for a front install kit sometime around 5 Dec 06. They also already have a limited supply of 4.88's for the front and are expecting more in the next month or so. The real hold-up right now is the front bearings from Toyota. So ya' for a month or so I'll be 2wd only. :( Better than being hard broke though I guess.

Oh yeah, that's right, aren't they factory gears straight from Japan?? Seems like I heard something about Allpro being able to get them??

·
Registered
62 Posts
Man, that sucks, what a world, "second tranny, second ring and pinion" and all in a toyota track. Make me uncomfortable about my truck. I was kind of looking up to truck, and now to find this. All of the sadden Nissan does not sound too bad :). Had a dealer at Fresno give you any crap yet, and if they did, which one was it Micheals or Bingham?

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Rustam B said:
Man, that sucks, what a world, "second tranny, second ring and pinion" and all in a toyota track. Make me uncomfortable about my truck. I was kind of looking up to truck, and now to find this. All of the sadden Nissan does not sound too bad :). Had a dealer at Fresno give you any crap yet, and if they did, which one was it Micheals or Bingham?
It isn't his second ring and pinion.

Don't worry Nissan's still have their fair share of issues and the interior quality and fit and finish is in my opinion still far behind toyota's. That being said they have some nice options like leather, sun-roof, etc and are priced significantly lower.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
That sucks...i went through 3 R&P's in my old 84 in 18 months (long time ago) guess that is what 35's would do for you. It was fun break it on the weekend and try to get it together for work monday..finally ended up carrying a complete third member, saved on the tow bills and could make it home. Funny thing is though in the 3 years I carried that hunk of steel around, never had any more gear troubles...
Gear change in the '05 is down the road.
Good luck with yours!

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
equin said:
I thought this thread over on Marlin's forum was interesting:

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=26531.0

According to Fireball, the TRD 3rd member's stock 4.10 ring gears are weak. Don't know how this affects the new generation Tacomas, though, since it appears he's talking about the 1st gen Tacoma rear 3rd's.
I was talking to Marlin earlier today about setting up my new ring & pinion and he mentioned something like Toyota still uses less nickel in their gears than the aftermarket gears which results in a little softer gear set. This also results in a quieter gear set, but a little weaker at the same time. I kinda take his word for it since IMHO he's the man when it comes to Toyota's.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ocdropzone said:
That sucks...i went through 3 R&P's in my old 84 in 18 months (long time ago) guess that is what 35's would do for you. It was fun break it on the weekend and try to get it together for work monday..finally ended up carrying a complete third member, saved on the tow bills and could make it home. Funny thing is though in the 3 years I carried that hunk of steel around, never had any more gear troubles...
Gear change in the '05 is down the road.
Good luck with yours!
Thanks, I'm thinking the same about carrying a spare third after hearing all the racket trying to drive out in front wheel drive.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
Ok, I think its safe to say that you OFFICIALLY toasted that ring and pinion, LOL!!!

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
rogersja63 said:
Went back up to Bald Mountian to rescue my buddy's Jeep today. He broke a Dana 35 axle yesterday on Hollywood Hill. Anyway, got him all fixed up and was heading up the hill (tons of people watching of course) and damn if my ring & pinion didn't destroy itself. :mad: After winching myself (with lots of help) to the top of the hill and then pulling my driveshaft I limped out to the trailhead in front wheel drive. A $450 tow later and I'm back home in Fresno now but the rear end sounds pretty bad, even just rolling along under front end power. I'm hoping I didn't tear up anything else. I'll find out tomorrow when I pull the third member. I'm taking it in to a local gear shop for some 4.88's because I don't want Toyota putting 3.73's back in it. What are my chances of not having torn up anything else?

I'll add my info to the sticky thread up top too.
wow, nasty carnage :eek:
4.88s will be too low for the 4.0 unless you are going with 35s or taller, IMO
4.10s for 33s and 4.56s for 35s would be a better choice with that motor and especially with the 6sp.

A good gear tech will be able to strip that down and tell you if the locker or case are tweeked. Also check your axle shaft ends for damage from debris.

but...I would still try to get this warrantied. Why? because Toyota needs to keep getting reminded that they sent out a bunch of these new trucks with crap for rear gear sets. Not that it's really your problem but every time an '05 owner doesn't make a huge stink to Toyota about this just hurts all the other '05 owners in the long run.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts