TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently in the market looking for a CB Radio I have read alot of the post on here and am still trying to figure out what is best for me. I have a 1994 Toyota Pickup and want to get something that is going to be a good starter CB for myself. I was on RadioShack.com and found this CB

http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...productId=2102653&support=support&tab=summary

What are your opinions on this model? What else would I need to make this work in my truck?

·
Registered
532 Posts
i have this one and so do many others. its a great little cb that should be perfect for your needs. all you need to make this work in your truck is a good antenna. do a search for this specific model on here. its been covered already.

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
Any CB radio is about like anyother apart from apperance and features that may be important to you for personal reasone. Performance wise, they all have a 4 watt max output power by law.
Put your money into a good antenna and more importantly get yourself an SWR meter to tune the antenna with. A well properly installed and well tuned antenna will do more for performance than spending five times the purchase price for the radio will.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Any CB radio is about like anyother apart from apperance and features that may be important to you for personal reasone. Performance wise, they all have a 4 watt max output power by law.
Put your money into a good antenna and more importantly get yourself an SWR meter to tune the antenna with. A well properly installed and well tuned antenna will do more for performance than spending five times the purchase price for the radio will.
did you say law!?!? i know some Truckers' who are pushin 50w!!! But yes, focus on ant. placement and tuning vs. $200 units... good luck

-Alex

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
Hell many years ago I had a 100 watt linear stuffed in the attic that was pushing a 5 element yagi too but I didn't say it was exactly legal now did I. Why do you think it was buried in the attic with a remote by pass.

·
Registered
779 Posts
i would have liked to be arund that when you keyed it up!

·
Registered
133 Posts
My radio drives a 4 pill with about 25 watts for a combined power of about 400 watts. I had to run a 2 guage ground wire. Thats like running a F*cking pipe through your truck. Fun stuff.

·
Registered
779 Posts
What was your name and location one more time? I am sure the FCC would love to hear about your beautiful work... :D j/k but that is insane...

·
Registered
133 Posts
They dont care about these things anymore, they have more on their minds. Although its true that in the 70's when cb's were big they would triangulate you and take your equipment and fine you, but not really today.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Uhmm, no...my brothers CHP and has worked commercial enforcement (Truckers). They cite for speeding and log book infractions.
and my brother is a truck driver...has colleagues that have gotten cited... you say they don't I say they can and do sometimes...

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
I think you're full of shit and further that you're talking right out of your ass.

That job is the function and the turf of the FCC Spectrum Enforcement Division.

CHP officers are not equipped nor are they trained to conduct technical inspections of radio transmitters. Nor would many CHP officers even recognize a linear amp even if you were stupid enough to have it in plain sight. Even an FCC inspector must request that you make your equipment available for inspection. If you deny them the inspection, then they can begin forfeiture proceedings (a $7000 fine) through an FCC field office.

Don't talk shit here or you're start looking like a real jack ass PDQ. This ain't MySpace.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts