Copyright 2006 by The State of Georgia
All rights reserved.

*** Current through the 2006 Regular Session ***

TITLE 40. MOTOR VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC
CHAPTER 8. EQUIPMENT AND INSPECTION OF MOTOR VEHICLES
ARTICLE 1. EQUIPMENT GENERALLY
PART 1. GENERAL PROVISIONS

O.C.G.A. § 40-8-6 (2006)

§ 40-8-6. Alteration of suspension system; operation of vehicle with broken springs

(a) It shall be unlawful to alter the suspension system of any private passenger motor vehicle which may be operated on any public street or highway more than two inches above or below the factory recommendation for any such vehicle.

(b) It shall be unlawful to operate any private passenger motor vehicle upon any highway, roadway, or street if the suspension system of such vehicle has been altered more than two inches above or below the factory recommendation for such vehicle.

(c) It shall be unlawful to operate any motor vehicle upon any highway, roadway, or street if the springs relative to the suspension system are broken.

(d) Any person violating this Code section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.

HISTORY: Ga. L. 1973, p. 458, §§ 1, 2; Ga. L. 1975, p. 763, § 1; Code 1933, § 68E-106, enacted by Ga. L. 1982, p. 165, § 4; Code 1981, § 40-8-6, enacted by Ga. L. 1982, p. 165, § 10.
Title Note
Chapter Note
Article Note

O.C.G.A. § 40-8-6

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I guess this is one of those rules that no one follows? I know people dont get pulled over for a 3 inch lift.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, if you look at the codes it would matter on which one works best for the police, frame height or lift. Neither of these codes are enforced especially if you are not being a attention whore and drive a asthetically clean vehicle. I was just curious about the laws and got bored at work so i pulled them up for ppl to read.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Good work C, where did you find the frame height one you mentioned in the other thread? And where do you work, again? Where could someone find the law books?

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
It's 30" under the lowest part of the frame.. Trans crossmember or T-case Crossmember

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
link817 said:
here you go man: http://www.legis.state.ga.us/ look at the bottom of the page--"georgia code" is all the laws you need to find. under section 40 is the laws on vehicles.
Pursuant to Code 40-7-6, Driving on private land without permission, or operating without mufflers or other silencing equipment, are the only things held against off road vehicles (which are defined in code 40-7-3) Both of these things will get you a misdemeanor, and a $25 fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts