TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this is BS. Today while driving on Wadsworth a CSP car pulls up behind me at a light. Once we get going I see the lights and pull over. The officer tells me that I am being pulled over because I have a license plate cover on my rear license plate which is illegal. I have completely forgotten about that plate cover. The officer takes my information, goes back to his car and writes me a ticket for $100.00 plus a fucking $33.00 surcharge for god knows what. On top of that it is a 3 point non moving violation. WTF!!!! I have not looked this up yet (but intend to) but I am pretty sure that has to be the max fine. And what the hell is this $33 surcharge for. If I mail it in they will take 2 points off the ticket and leave me with one. That will fuck me on my auto insurance. I am calling the DA next week to discuss and get the points removed. Yes I was in the wrong for having the cover which I removed as soon as I got home but a $100 for a smoked plate cover? It isn't even on of those tricky one which you cannot see the numbers from the side it is clear in the day and the night side to side and so on. I guess the CSP is really hard out for funds and has decided to max fine everyone. Well Bullshit I say. I will be fighting this one. :soapbox::xsmash:

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
That sucks!! I got pulled over for my photo radar cover and it was 125 in boulder and they even gave it back to me after court. No points just a fine.

Im thinking about putting one on my car and when i get pulled over tell them its for all the idiots on the road that want to call me in for trying trying to drive the speed limit in the correct lane.

·
Registered
390 Posts
wooow :eek: thats crazy, the cop must of been really bored, what ever the reason, $100 is crazy, I dont know of one cop that would actually write the ticket (unless your being an ass) but would rather just give ya a verbal warning.
I know the covers are illegal but NEVER heard of someone actually getting a ticket for it, freaking stupid IMO.

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
GO TO COURT. Do not just mail it in.

It's on KBI monday mornings with Molly Janson (i think is her name), whenever people call about advice on traffic tickets she always says go to court. PERIOD.

Reason?

You may not get a lesser fine/points than what they offered you if you mailed it. However, when you go in and they give you a 1pt defective vehicle, it is listed as just that "1pt defective vehicle" on your record. Not "3pt reduced to".

·
Registered
342 Posts
CSP might be hard up on funding....

i got a friend of mine who has been trying to get into the CSP academy for the last year but only to find out they closed this years academy this summer due to " Insufficient Funding"...

might be why they are cracking down hard on stupid stuff

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
GO TO COURT. Do not just mail it in.

It's on KBI monday mornings with Molly Janson (i think is her name), whenever people call about advice on traffic tickets she always says go to court. PERIOD.

Reason?

You may not get a lesser fine/points than what they offered you if you mailed it. However, when you go in and they give you a 1pt defective vehicle, it is listed as just that "1pt defective vehicle" on your record. Not "3pt reduced to".
For sure I am going to court on this. I am going to do some homework first. My mother in law got a 4 point speeding ticket for only $88.00. Took it in to a little window in the courthouse, attorney dropped the points and she paid just $88.00. So damn straight I am going to fight it.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wooow :eek: thats crazy, the cop must of been really bored, what ever the reason, $100 is crazy, I dont know of one cop that would actually write the ticket (unless your being an ass) but would rather just give ya a verbal warning.
I know the covers are illegal but NEVER heard of someone actually getting a ticket for it, freaking stupid IMO.
Yeah I was taught from an early age not to question or mess with the police. So no I was ready with information that he needed was polite and decent to him. He was rather short and to the point with me. I swear it was just a revenue generating stop.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
No point in arguing with the police at the scene - they are merely reporting their side of the story. Court exists for you to confront your accuser in front of an "impartial" judge.
Impartial judge:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I would just do your best to prove your case. I was told that police make mistakes too when i had my speeding ticket that was full of them. the only thing is that if they make a mistake the courts are on there side and say things like....Well you know what they ment. When it comes to the ticket for a mistake thats made by someone out side of the courts,police department your guilty tell you prove your case.

Someone got the words mixed up...innocent till proven guilty :rofl:

you are guilty till proven innocent.

·
Registered
431 Posts
This post caught my eye because I had a tinted cover on my front plate (until the first water hole on Green Ridge ate it) and had intended to replace it eventually. I don't like the bright white up front when I'm trying to go for a semi-blacked out appearance.

Anyway, that sucks they pulled you over just for that. It's an enforcement weekend though, probably looking for any excuse to find something else. Could have been nicer and not given you a ticket for it. Unfortunately I don't think you'll have a ton of room to fight this one. If you haven't already looked it up, you prompted me to because I had no idea the ticket would be that much:

42-3-202. Number plates to be attached.
(2)(b) A person shall not operate a motor vehicle with an affixed device or a substance that causes all or a portion of a license plate to be unreadable by a system used to automatically identify a motor vehicle. Such a device includes, without limitation, a cover that distorts angular visibility; alters the color of the plate; or is smoked, tinted, scratched, or dirty so as to impair the legibility of the license plate.
(3)(b) A person who violates paragraph (b) of subsection (2) of this section commits a class A traffic infraction and shall be punished by a fine of one hundred dollars.
Source: L. 2005: Entire article amended with relocations, p. 1108, § 2, effective August 8. L. 2008: (1) amended, p. 321, § 2, effective July 1.

Bold and italics mine. Bold for the fact that this section overides the normal fine for that class of infraction and makes it default to the max. Italics for the only way I can see you could argue it - it's worded in such a way that tinted or smoked could be allowed if it doesn't affect legibility. But I'm not a lawyer, so...

Surcharges are here, but while I can find $33, I can't quite tie it to an infraction (as opposed to a misdemeanor): 24-4.1-119. Costs and surcharges levied on criminal actions and traffic offenses.

If you do fight it, best of luck!

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow. That is the information I was going to look for but that really sucks! I will assume that the legibility is impaired by the fact that it is smoked(even though the smoke was light and anyone can see this with no problem unless you are blind). I will still go to court to get the points reduced and or removed so as to not affect my insurance as much and try to get the fine reduced at the very least that $33.00 surcharge.

Yeah just looked this up myself and it is just as you have stated. Dammit.

I have the phone numbers I need for the Jeffco Court House and will give them a call this week. At this point I will accept the $100 fine but if they will just take off the points????? Oh well wish me luck.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
The surcharges are set by the Department of Revenue to fund the administration of records, etc... and are based on a schedule that correlates to the fine amount. Agencies and courts can do nothing about the surcharge unless the original violation is amended or dismissed. :( It never hurts to work with the system though.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Eric - What do you know about the point assesment associated with the violations? Would this really be considered a 3 point non moving violation?

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Here's an idea :rolleyes:...

Start telling your elected asshats you don't want automated traffic control in Colorado. If they didn't lean so heavily on it, we wouldn't even need front plates...it'd save you and the state money.

It worked in Alaska and Ohio.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Eric - What do you know about the point assesment associated with the violations? Would this really be considered a 3 point non moving violation?
Eric, you would need to tell me exactly what the ticket is for. Frankly, I never would have written a ticket for this, so I'm not that familiar with the statute.

Here's the penalty (fine) and surcharge schedule for those interested:

http://www.michie.com/colorado/lpext.dll?f=FifLink&t=document-frame.htm&l=query&iid=5ae26baf.54ec967d.0.0&q=[Group '42-4-1701']

Here is the point system defined:

http://www.michie.com/colorado/lpext.dll?f=FifLink&t=document-frame.htm&l=query&iid=5ae26baf.54ec967d.0.0&q=[Group '42-2-127']

For those still having trouble:

http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite?blobcol=urldata&blobheader=application/pdf&blobheadername1=Content-Disposition&blobheadername2=MDT-Type&blobheadervalue1=inline;+filename=1001/855/2337.pdf&blobheadervalue2=abinary;+charset=UTF-8&blobkey=id&blobtable=MungoBlobs&blobwhere=1191399207644&ssbinary=true

:D

·
Registered
4,141 Posts

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Eric - Traffic Citation states:

049 42.3.202(2)(b)number plate obstructed by smoked device $100 +33 Pts.3 This was a write in line and not a pre typed line on the form. I saw him looking through some reference materials as he wrote up the ticket. Obiviously something they do not write tickets for very often.

I did some leg work today with the Jeffco county court and the DA's office. County Court told me they would not see the ticket for 45 days. I could call in 45 days to schedule an earlier court date instead of my August date at that time. DMV has it for the first 30 days should I choose to mail it in. Called DMV for Jeffco and they told me it would be stated as above on my DMV record but with one point instead of 3. Contacted the DA's office. The lady there told me that I could come in during the week of my scheduled court date but no sooner. At 1:15pm. I will have a pre meeting with a deputy DA to discuss my case and plea bargin. They use criminal record and DMV recond to determine my plea bargin. I am thinking that would be best since I do not have a criminal record and have had 4 traffic citations since I was 16. So I hoping they see that this was an honest mistake on my part and yes I would pay the fine for breaking the law but maybe drop the points for my good behavior? :eek:

Here is a pic of my truck with the cover on. As you can see it is slightly smoked but by no means obstructs any view of the plate or my renew stickers.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 39 Posts