TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
as I said before, I blew the head gasket on my '95 2.7L w/163K m on it. Now I have a dilema: to do a full valve job while i'm in there or not?

I thought that would be a no-brainer, but then the dude i talked to at the machine shop said this might actually hurt things, since the top end will be virtually new and the old(and presumably worn) rings will take a beating from the compression that is no longer being lost up top. Does this sound likely? I haven't had any oil burning problems, and I've used Mobile1 synthetic for the last 100,000 miles so I think the rings are ok, but I dont want to end up killing them and tearing it all apart again. (the gasket set alone is $180!).

I would REALLY appreciate some knowledgeable feedback on this, as I'm not too familiar with heads.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
He's probably right with that many miles. Try a compression test on your cylinders to see what you have now although I'm not sure how the blown head gasket will effect the results.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
can do the pistons and rings from the bottom? w/out removing the head? might not be a good idea though...

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
That being the case, I would just patch it up for now with a new gasket. If it's still a problem, you might be better off dropping in another motor(less $$$), depending on the condition of the truck rather than a complete rebuild.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts