TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have installed a new PSC steering box and hydro assist ram on my 93 22re sas'd 4runner. I was able to bleed the system and get them ram moving without the truck running; but, when i start the vehicle and move the wheel the ram doesn't move at all. Then I turn the vehicle off and the ram moves with no problem.

Things i have tried:
- swapped the lines around
- Hooked up my vacuum bleeder
- cracked the fittings on the ram and let the fluid seep out( another way to bleed the system)
- stood back at stared at it with a beer for 15 minutes then repeated all of the steps

Weird findings:
- the ram doesn't seem to move full travel in either direction
- The fitting on top of the box is tapped alot farther back on the vein than i have seen( maybe 3") from the flat part.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Figured i would call trail gear first. I got off the phone with trail gear and the guy i talked to said my stock pump might not be able to fill the 2"x6" ram i purchased. This kind of makes sense, is anybody running a 2"x6" ram with a stock steering pump?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So this is what i have found out about hydro assist:

-Basically the stock toyota power steering pump is barely good enough to push a 1.5"x6" cylinder. You could drill out the orifice in your stock pump to increase the reaction time of the cylinder. If you upgrade to the 2"x6" cylinder the stock pump cannot fill the cylinder fast enough to move it.

-The best answer for these issues are to do a "TC" steering pump swap or buy an already thought out steering pump system from PSC or Trail gear.

-One of the best ways to bleed the system is to use the clutch master cylinder lid; remove the rubber cover on top of the lid then stick a mighty vac in the hole on top of the lid (my set came with a cone shapped fitting that goes right in the top). Then create a vacuum over the power steering fluid resevoir by putting it in place of the PS cap.

the search feature has enlighted me

1 - 5 of 5 Posts