TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to run some extra lights on my truck. I was trying to find one of those bed-mounted lightbars, but decided I didn't want to give up the extra bed space. So the options I have would be a roof mounted bar or a front bar. I'd like to avoid the front, because I intend to pickup a Demello or Shrockworks bumper in 6-8 months or so (maybe another, haven't decided, that's a question for another day though).

This leaves me looking at the roof mounted bars, and from what I've seen so far my choices are:
Carr
http://www.carr.com/store/carrlowprofile.asp
or KC
http://www.kchilites.com/store/To-Mount-Stainless-Light-Barbr-7524---Universal-P572C119.aspx

My first question is, how well do these hold up? I can't really tell how they attach, so my concern is if it's a pressure mount will it come off doing 80 on the highway, or if I'm bouncing around off road?

The Carr looks like it has plenty of holes where I could mount lights, and a CB antenna. Does the KC have that many as well?

Does anyone have these on their rig, and do you have an opinion one way or another about them?

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
....search please. anyways, procomp makes one, randy ellis design makes one also. the procomp requires a lot of cutting/drilling. i am in the process right now of making one like the randy ellis design, only with a bar over the lights like the procomp. i like the way the RE one comes from below the bumper for a little added protection, so thats how i am fabing mine. so do some searches, 'cause they are out there...it just depends on what you want.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
....search please.
I did. searching for "lightbar" seems pretty exclusive to the front-mounted ones, which I'm not interested in. And I was hoping for opinions on roof-mounted light bars.

·
Registered
68 Posts
From a functional standpoint, roof lights are not the most "comfortable" and practical. Yeah, pre-runners use them all the time but I had (4) 100 watt lights on a safari roof rack on my old truck and the glare I got due to the lights being just above the top of the windshield was so bad, you had to really drive slow offroad to see where you were going. Yeah, it was super bright and it looked cool but the glare was making my eyes squint a little. Great for crawling I guess.

I think you would be happier with the lights on a front light bar as mentioned above. If you want the look, then put them on the roof. Have fun figuring out how to run the wires without it looking bad. There really isn't a good method.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I have thought too about adding some kind of a roof lightbar. If I were you I would get a few lights up front for fogs and then mount your pencil beams to see further on top.

I have looked at a few that fold down or can be removed so that way they dont get trashed if you dont need them everyday. Look into the desert rides website for a ton of prerunner/baja applications.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
I agree with Ozark-Taco. I had lights on my roofrack on my old rangie, and they were horrible if you were driving with them on, all the glare off of the hood makes it more dangerous to me.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Good to know. I guess its better to save and get HIDs than just add more halogen lights,

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
oooops, my bad. i was thinking about the front mounted bars....i retract my previous statement! good luck

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
I did. searching for "lightbar" seems pretty exclusive to the front-mounted ones, which I'm not interested in. And I was hoping for opinions on roof-mounted light bars.
here are some pics of my light bar. I've had this for some years now and have had no complanits other that it uses a shiat load of amps when I light it all up. it has eleven 55 watts bulbs totl; 6 to the front, 3 to the back and one for right and left.
No reflection problem here. they light up nice. just mounted them up again so i need to adjust alignment but other than that, they work kick a$$.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts