TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been covered a lot but I'm reading too many old threads with conflicting info from ten years ago. My '01 taco has longer Bilsteins already in place and going with the Dakar medium leaf packs. What's a link to the extended brake line I hear I need? Also, if my leaf perch turns out to be warped what's the fix? How bad is bad for a perch (ie 1/16" or more on each end when a straight edge is on top)? Also, go with the greasable bushings or are they really not necessary for a farm truck and DD (I'm regular with grease guns and will do it). Finally, the exhaust bracket by ARB lowers the pipe for leaf pack drop clearance or what? My pipe is cut just behind the axle (bottom of the roller coaster hoop) so it can't interfere with the leaf pack from what I can see. Why would anyone want to lower their exhaust?
Thanks in advance!

Further details: my '01 currently has Donahoe/Icon two-leaf-swap from the stock overload for the last 170k miles, 220k total on the stock upper leaves. I haul 6-700lbs fairly regular on unmaintained dirt and rock trail-roads and after all the miles I get just a bit of negative flex in the parking lot under load.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this has been covered a lot but I'm reading too many old threads with conflicting info from ten years ago. My '01 taco has longer Bilsteins already in place and going with the Dakar medium leaf packs. What's a link to the extended brake line I hear I need? Also, if my leaf perch turns out to be warped what's the fix? How bad is bad for a perch (ie 1/16" or more on each end when a straight edge is on top)? Also, go with the greasable bushings or are they really not necessary for a farm truck and DD (I'm regular with grease guns and will do it). Finally, the exhaust bracket by ARB lowers the pipe for leaf pack drop clearance or what? My pipe is cut just behind the axle (bottom of the roller coaster hoop) so it can't interfere with the leaf pack from what I can see. Why would anyone want to lower their exhaust?
Thanks in advance!

Further details: my '01 currently has Donahoe/Icon two-leaf-swap from the stock overload for the last 170k miles, 220k total on the stock upper leaves. I haul 6-700lbs fairly regular on unmaintained dirt and rock trail-roads and after all the miles I get just a bit of negative flex in the parking lot under load.
Here's the part number for the longer brake line: Centric 150.44371 (rear brake hose for T100 '95-'98, 3.5 inches longer than your stock line). A google for the part number will provide many sources including this one: https://www.amazon.com/Centric-Parts-150-44371-Brake-Hose/dp/B000Q0CZ7U. I use this line in my '02 Taco 4x4.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Since when is a longer rear brake line necessary? I've had Dakar leaf packs for many years along with 10" Bils, never had an issue with the brake line. Back when I installed them a longer brake line wasnt talked about. Just an extension for the brake propositioning valve (could be wrong on the name).

The exhaust drop is just a way to make it work, I imagine most, like you and I, just cut the tail pipe.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since when is a longer rear brake line necessary? I've had Dakar leaf packs for many years along with 10" Bils, never had an issue with the brake line. Back when I installed them a longer brake line wasnt talked about. Just an extension for the brake propositioning valve (could be wrong on the name).

The exhaust drop is just a way to make it work, I imagine most, like you and I, just cut the tail pipe.
That's what I read at some point, a brake proportioning valve extension. I have no idea where the proportioning valve is. Is the extension a DIY bit of scrap steel?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My last (kinda dumb) question is why do the ARB bushing kit pictures show 6 bushings for the rear? I figure 4 bushings per shackle and 2 more for the leaf eyelet, so does that mean I need two sets of the bushing kit? Also, any link to the eyelet bushings for the front of the leaf pack? I don't plan on re-using the originals.

Bushes.jpg

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
That's what I read at some point, a brake proportioning valve extension. I have no idea where the proportioning valve is. Is the extension a DIY bit of scrap steel?
I cant remember the name of the brake part, its mounted on the frame? and has an arm that goes down to the axle housing. The extension can definitely be a DYI piece. As far as the bushings go, the leafs at the time, came with new, stock like bushings in the front eyelet. I went with thier greaseable shackles and bushings, there were 4 bushings per pack if I remember right. Anyway, I'll take a look under the truck tomorrow, try to refresh my memory. I'm almost 100% sure an extended brake line was not needed.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I cant remember the name of the brake part, its mounted on the frame? and has an arm that goes down to the axle housing. The extension can definitely be a DYI piece. As far as the bushings go, the leafs at the time, came with new, stock like bushings in the front eyelet. I went with thier greaseable shackles and bushings, there were 4 bushings per pack if I remember right. Anyway, I'll take a look under the truck tomorrow, try to refresh my memory. I'm almost 100% sure an extended brake line was not needed.
Appreciated. If you did the bracket extension post a pic, I'm curious how it goes in from the stock ARB photos and if I need it, may need to do a drop test after install but that could get messy if it was needed.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Ok, it looks like way to much time has gone by since installation, and I actually did do an extended brake lline. Looked this morning and see a braided brake line, not OEM. Heres a picture of the extension for the LSPV. The idea is to raise it equal to the amount of lift. You might be able to adjust the arm as an alternative.

20190928_090029.jpg 20190928_085908.jpg

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The second pic looks to be a custom bracket to raise the diff lock cable? Curious pics and really good info but exactly what I was looking for. It looks like you had a somewhat custom install?. Looks solid and I'll compare in the daylight but the pics are exactly what I was looking for. Thumbs up emoji.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
The second pic looks to be a custom bracket to raise the diff lock cable? Curious pics and really good info but exactly what I was looking for. It looks like you had a somewhat custom install?. Looks solid and I'll compare in the daylight but the pics are exactly what I was looking for. Thumbs up emoji.
The first pic is just showing the extended brake line. The second pic is showing the LSBPV or BPV extension bracket. The idea is to raise that arm the same amount as the lift. There are or were places that sold them but it can easily be made yourself. Search Tacoma LSBPV extension on this site or google and you should find additional info.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts