TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:soapbox:
I guess this is more to vent than anything else because after searching and reviewing many posts it seems one thing Toyota has yet to master is a durable power steering pump. And sure enough, mine has gone out on me months after my warranty has expired and now I have the pleasure of spending $300+ to get a new one. The reason I switched over from Fords to Toyotas was their legendary reliability and I am a little ticked that this common and well-documented problem has yet to be resolved by Toyota.

Having bitched all that, does anyone have any other suggestions to prolong the life of a pump other than keeping mud out of it and running ATF in it?!

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
It all depends on if your pump was made on Monday, Wednesday or Friday?
Look at the belt tightness? To tight will put excess strain?

·
Registered
796 Posts
:soapbox:
I guess this is more to vent than anything else because after searching and reviewing many posts it seems one thing Toyota has yet to master is a durable power steering pump. And sure enough, mine has gone out on me months after my warranty has expired and now I have the pleasure of spending $300+ to get a new one. The reason I switched over from Fords to Toyotas was their legendary reliability and I am a little ticked that this common and well-documented problem has yet to be resolved by Toyota.

Having bitched all that, does anyone have any other suggestions to prolong the life of a pump other than keeping mud out of it and running ATF in it?!
How many years and miles before it failed? I had mine flushed at 40k and plan to do so again before 100k.

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
How do you flush the PS system?

Any FSM page numbers?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
$300 sounds a bit much. Mine was about $120 and do it yourself although I know what you mean by them going. When do you decide to change them, mine always whine but they have never not worked good for me.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Just did mine at 69k, bought it from a salvaged one with 23k on it.....mine was toast for awhile before I sacked up to do it.....It did however work hard with no cooler or anything. I intend to throw some kind of inline cooler on plus I kept old one so I can hopefully snake another smoked donor and weld two resevoirs(sp) together so I can increase fluid capacity, a further measure to keep it cool.

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Could the failure of the pump be related to using power steering fluid and not ATF? I read somewhere ( could be here) that on the Taco PS pumps you should use ATF instead of power steering fluid. I guess it's got somethign to do with the seals in the pump and the rack, not quite sure.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
I'm at 85K on my stock PS pump and it's been sounding horrible for a while...whines even when the fluid is full and vibrates like crazy.

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
So it's just when the ps pump starts to whine?

You know when you hold the wheel at full lock all the way, you hear a noise? That's what mine makes all the time when cold. When warm it's really quiet...

·
Registered
773 Posts
I've got almost 120K miles on my stock pump. I've never changed or even had to add fluid... It looks and smells pretty bad but I'm not going to mess with it until it goes.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
My friend has gone thru three (3) power steering pumps on his 03 Tacoma. They were all covered under warranty. :saw:

·
Registered
233 Posts
My friend has gone thru three (3) power steering pumps on his 03 Tacoma. They were all covered under warranty. :saw:
wow i have 48,000 with 35's and have had NO problems with the PSP.. I have had to do the R&P bushing but that is it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts