TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

My 2004 Taco rear diff lock is not working. I just purchased and completely built this truck over the last month. I found out about this locker issue on her maiden voyage over Black Bear Pass in Telluride, CO.

Anyway, here is the deal, I press the button and nothing... light flashes on the dash but the actuator doesnt even attempt to engage. After removing, rebuilding, and bench-testing the actuator, I have determined that this part is fine. It is not getting power, however. I am very experienced building trucks but my weakness is electrical. Please help me diagnose this! Where are the fuses for this system? What powers it? Where do I start? Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Do u have a pre runner or 4x4???

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, 4x4 and Auto...

All the rest of the specs are in my signature

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Unless you have done the grey wire mod, the locker only works in 4LO.

Even if you have done the mod, the locker will only go in at 5MPH or less.

After it's on, speed is not limited, but I usually have best results turning it on at a stand still and then creeping slowly until it clicks in.

If it doesn't go immediately, I turn a small amount to one side or the other to make the tires turn at different speeds.

It works by pushing dogs together, and can't go in if those dogs aren't lined up.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yeah when i got my truck i was like wtf my rdiff wont lock and then found 4lo it works, then gray wire mod and we were good

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unless you have done the grey wire mod, the locker only works in 4LO.

Even if you have done the mod, the locker will only go in at 5MPH or less.

After it's on, speed is not limited, but I usually have best results turning it on at a stand still and then creeping slowly until it clicks in.
Thanks for the reply. I have the process down to a "T". I have had a few of these 1st gen Tacos and have engaged the lockers many times. I've done a lot of diagnosing already and I can say that the rear actuator is not getting power... I've tested the harness with a volt meter.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Ummm... Did u do the gray wire mod??? And how does the harness connector look inside all green and nasty??? U can all so try taking some niddle nose and twist the male pins on the connector just a cunt hair to get tighter/better connection

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes to the grey wire mod. But I literally JUST finished that... about two minutes ago... hoping it might fix my problem... It didnt. The connections look great. There is no power being delivered to the harness when the button is pressed. Fuse somewhere?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've checked every fuse in the vehicle, I believe. The 20 amp fuse is the 4wd fuse as well. So, if it was blown, the front ADD wouldnt work either, I dont think.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Do u have a diagram ur looking at cause i cant find nothing on google

·
Registered
114 Posts
So just looked at mine theres 2 harness one on the frame near the gas tank then it connects to the sec harness that goes to the locker are u testing power @ the harness that plugs right in the locker? If so try testing it at the harness near the tank

·
Registered
114 Posts
And just work ur way up to the locker ecu

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've checked the connections at the gas tank and at the differential. My understanding is that it should have 3 volts. I just get erratic readings in the millivolt category.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Do u have diagrams ur looking at like a repair manual?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I do not. This has got to be a a common/ easy to repair problem. It is a well cared-for truck that has 90k on it and no other electrical issues. I refuse to believe that there is some sort of wiring issue.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Well with a diagram you can see where/what to test for

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
true. I've looked for one with no success. Everything I search for seems to come up with results for the retro-fitted lockers... not a stock diagram

·
Registered
114 Posts
U just gota work ur way back up the circuit to fing the problem next is goto the locker ecu in the driver kick panle and check power there from what the 4runner diagram says that #5 an #4 pin should be 12v power

·
Registered
114 Posts
#10 8 7 should be ground

1 - 20 of 29 Posts