TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I got the (OEM....not) roof rack in that I had ordered off of Ebay, & like someone here on TTORA said, "That kit sucks". Besides that fact, mine was also broken so I just sent it back. My question is for you Double cab owners...what kind of racks do you have? How much did they cost, how do they mount, & where did you get them? Im not looking to haul lumber up there or anything...I just want a quality rack that I can strap the occasional ladder or snow board to. Pictures of your rigs would be extremely helpful. Thanks alot. :banghead:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
154 Posts
i have a dcab, but i DO NOT have roof racks. HOWEVER, there's a dcab at work that has Yakima's over the cab. Looks pretty good. I had Yakima's on my old 4runner, and they worked really well. Only hauled snowboards.

I'd recommend checking out Yakima and Thule's websites for fitment and then checking ebay or something and find the cheapest price (Yaks and Thule's can get expensive, fast). Most of these types of racks "clip" onto the roof on the upper door sill / rain-gutter. (You're looking for towers, crossbars and whatever accessories i.e. snowboard racks that you'll need to haul whatever you want to haul. Oh -- and locks. I priced out the towers/crossbars/snowboard racks + locks when I sold my racks... it was $400+ new.)

Like I said earlier, check ebay once you know what you need. Another place to find a really good deal is craigslist.org.

One thing I did notice on my 4runner: the silicone pads on the towers rub into the paint and leave little rough spots. This is due to dirt/dust b/t the pad and roof combined w/ wind/vibration from the truck and road -- no way to avoid it. For that reason, I'm not inclined to run Yakima's on my dcab.

I've thought about having racks bolted to my snugtop, but then again, I can fit a ton of gear in the bed w/out worrying about stuff smacking my passengers in the head. So for now line-x'd bed + snugtop = the best snowboard toting system around.

cheers!
-ryan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info bro! I gave up on the OEM setup & am checking out some used q towers on ebay like you said. thanks again!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Okay, I wanted to post some pics of my rack setup for my X-tra Cab, and this seemed like the appropriate thread. I bought this setup many years ago and it has served me well in hauling my kayaks around western Canada and Washington State. A very portable system which is a snap to put up and take down, with zero mods necessary to the truck bed. It is very sturdy as well. The front rack is a typical Yakima crossbar - but the setup in the truck bed is the true gem. Termed a "Bedrack" system, what you have is a four-footed metal stand which sits squarely in the center of the bed, and on top of this stand there is another crossbar. To hold this "bedrack" in place you have four heavy duty cargo tie down straps (approx. rated 200lbs each) which you cinch tight to the four tie down points in the corners of the bed. When to ratchet these things tight, the system is rock-solid. I can put my entire 200lbs on the crossbar and it barely flexes.

I know from driving around Vancouver B.C. I have never seen a similar rack system. Anybody else have it or even seen it before. I ordered it from California a while back and I'm not sure its available anymore. Although someone more clever than me could probably build one.

Anyway, here are some pics for those interested:



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Lord_Stark_of_Winterfell said:
Okay, I wanted to post some pics of my rack setup for my X-tra Cab, and this seemed like the appropriate thread. I bought this setup many years ago and it has served me well in hauling my kayaks around western Canada and Washington State. A very portable system which is a snap to put up and take down, with zero mods necessary to the truck bed. It is very sturdy as well. The front rack is a typical Yakima crossbar - but the setup in the truck bed is the true gem. Termed a "Bedrack" system, what you have is a four-footed metal stand which sits squarely in the center of the bed, and on top of this stand there is another crossbar. To hold this "bedrack" in place you have four heavy duty cargo tie down straps (approx. rated 200lbs each) which you cinch tight to the four tie down points in the corners of the bed. When to ratchet these things tight, the system is rock-solid. I can put my entire 200lbs on the crossbar and it barely flexes.

I know from driving around Vancouver B.C. I have never seen a similar rack system. Anybody else have it or even seen it before. I ordered it from California a while back and I'm not sure its available anymore. Although someone more clever than me could probably build one.

Anyway, here are some pics for those interested:
That is a sweet setup! Certainly a good use of a rack for those long objects.

I occasionally strap an extension ladder to my oem rack and it works fairly adequately, but I have to tie the ends to the bumpers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
hobie411 said:
That is a sweet setup! Certainly a good use of a rack for those long objects.

I occasionally strap an extension ladder to my oem rack and it works fairly adequately, but I have to tie the ends to the bumpers.
I can't emphasize just how amazing my "Bedrack" is... much more solid than it might look. I can set the whole thing up in less than 5 minutes and take it down in about 30 seconds...

Doing a bit of research on the net, it seems that the company that used to make it doesn't exist anymore. :(

By far the best portable setup I've seen for carrying long and not to heavy objects like canoes and kayaks...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
188 Posts
Uneasy Rider said:
Well I got the (OEM....not) roof rack in that I had ordered off of Ebay, & like someone here on TTORA said, "That kit sucks". Besides that fact, mine was also broken so I just sent it back. My question is for you Double cab owners...what kind of racks do you have? How much did they cost, how do they mount, & where did you get them? Im not looking to haul lumber up there or anything...I just want a quality rack that I can strap the occasional ladder or snow board to. Pictures of your rigs would be extremely helpful. Thanks alot. :banghead:
I have Yakima Qtowers on my Dcab. I love them. I haul a 14' kayak and 9' surfboard on them all of the time and I never have any problems or worries, even on the interstate. I got mine from www.ageebike.com they have good prices and free shipping on any purchase over $100.

I dont have time to figure out how to psot pics right this second but if you send me your email I will send you some pics.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top