TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm contemplating fitting a factory carrier arm from a Pathfinder to my 87 body. I've thought about 2nd gen Runners, Blazers, Broncos, Bronco II, Bravada, and Kia swing gates. The Nissan one is the most stout, has the best latch, plus it latches low on the tailgate- not to interfere with the trim on my truck. I used to have a 92 Pathfinder with a 33, highlift and jerry can without problems for years. They have huge bushing pins that operated fine on my 15 year old truck.

After reading tons of threads on different sites, I realize most people think it's not a good idea.
But:
1. I need the room inside and on top, since I carry tools/ladders frequently.
2. My current warn bumper is really small and adding a carrier to it would be tough
3. Can't afford a custom bumper
4. Plenty of donors available/cheap

I know:
1. I'll have to reinforce the body metal/add support brackets
2. It won't be as tough as a custom piece
3. Rear departure angle will be sacrificed

I'm not dead set on doing it this way, I do think it would be the most economical option though. I think I can get the carrier, new bushings, bracket made/installed for significantly less than having a custom arm made to work with my bumper. Any thoughts besides what I've already mentioned?

I don't plan on building a crawler with this truck and I admit I think carriers look cool. This truck is primarily a dd/basic expo rig... FS roads... ;)

·
7,735 Posts
I can't recall what a pathfinder tire carrier looks like, but it seems like any carrier would interfere with the tailgate.

I do like that you're thinking outside the box tho.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Notice how the latch is low compared to the Toyota arm:

Another option would be to mount something like this:

but my bumper just goes to the edge of the body line:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mounted to the face of the bumper would be an option, but I really want to do this on the cheap... that is getting into some fab time & materials.

A hinge plate mounted on the bumper:

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Sounds like a cool project, Josh.

That reminds me of our old chapter president, Troy who did a similar thing on his 2nd gen runner. He found a Toyota tire carrier. I think it might have come factory on some 2nd gen runners... But I know he had to do some mods to beef it up for his larger tires. I have been looking through the super old threads trying to find the pictures of his, but I can't seem to find any. You might try to PM Redrunnertc. He is down in Texas now, but I'm sure he could give some good advice on the matter.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I stick to the Pathfinder factory mount style, I can mock up the interior brace and modify the arm mount to fit my body. All I would need is a quick chop/weld for a few little pieces. It could be made at least as strong as the factory setup.

To be honest, I don't even know what the inside of that back corner looks like, but I'm sure I can figure something out.

·
7,735 Posts
I'm thinking with the body attachment points the way they are in those pix of the pathfinder carrier, this could be very doable. But I think you're going to have to do some work to beef up the side sheet metal where you'd attach it.

I have a first gen 4-runner in my garage with the inner panels removed if you want to take a look at what you're going to be dealing with.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Doug. I'll let you know next time I'm heading that way and see if I can catch you home. That would be my next step to start a mock-up. I guess I could always take my lazy ass out and take my panels off too.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
I see that runner every few days up off 5th. My buddy lives over there.

Im also doing a carrier so i will post up some pics soon. Im ordering the Iron pig hinge and making it swing out.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I totally forgot about this.

I ditched the Pathfinder carrier idea, too much PITA and I couldn't find one for cheap. Also didn't like the idea of mounting the latch to the tailgate and having it take all that force when it slammed closed.

What I did do was rebuild my little Warn bumper, well I didn't a friend did- I just told him what I wanted. We hacked the ends off, added some width and depth, reinforced it and put a bigger receiver in it. We used a 1" bolt for the arm. The arm is built from 2x3 stock and the hinge is just a piece of control arm tube machined to fit the bolt tight. It has rear rocker protection that returns back to the frame, mounts to the frame rails and the receiver goes way back to a "crossmember" we added to tie it in. This thing is solid. I've been pulling a 2300 lb trailer and it tows nice.

These are the only pics I have handy, I'll snap a few tomorrow.

BTW that AUTOMATIC sticker came on the truck and won't come off, not my doing.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
What size is that back piece of metal? I kinda like that. Oh I see what's goIng on there and like it even more. Looks good and I have an eraser wheel if you want that sticker removed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts