TTORA Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I am looking for a different route for my spare. The fabricator that I spoke with about the gate below said it wasn't going to work with loading my bike so I am back to the drawing board. SO I thought mounting it against the rear window with the option to move it to the roof might be the way to go and be able to put my bike in the bed... assuming I don't bob it of course.

I remember this guy being a ttora member in the past, if anybody knows him or knows where to get additional photos of his rig please let me know. But this would be simialar to the new idea.

Previous Posting----------------------------------------------------
I've looked over the past few tire gate threads and all of them swing to the side. The problem with that is unless it is removable and keeps my tailgate it isn't a viable idea. Therefore I need a tire gate that acts like a tailgate. I have put together these schematics for a place intown to go off of. I'm wondering if I am missing anything. I've already welded in some frame supports so lets not go into that.

I am also thinking about bobing my bed (yes an even shorter bed on a D-cab). I figure if I bob the bed not only will it not drag on the trails, but it will lessen the stress put on the frame by moving the weight closer to the cab.

In the end I would like to be able to have a trailworthy tiregate that allows me to put my bike in the bed.... yes I realize there will be some serious stress on the talegate so any aditional ideas would be great.

Take a look at the attached pdf, it has notes and what-not in the file, feel free to use it to get one made yourself. I am just looking for additional ideas.

http://www.sukcess.com/links/taco_swing.pdf

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I like the idea, its innovative. I see a problem with a big tire hanging off the rear-end with stock cables. I think you would need something stronger and more rigid to keep it from bouncing with all that weight. Maybe the addition of some verticle supports as the truck bed is not really strong enough to suspend that much weight on. Make sure the tube or plate bumper is Very stout. The idea for locking the thing at 45 degrees is good too. Youll want a super tight fit to keep it from rattling. I imagine that 95% of the time youll be keeping it locked @ 45 and then only down when stopping or hauling the bike around. some of the full size american trucks have tail-gate supports that are rigid and lock into place, maybe those are a solution? Just remeber not to put too much stock in the bed walls holding up any more weight than a stock gate can on a regular basis.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, in the file it points out that the tire would actually be hitting the bumper as a binding point as well as the bars holding the tire will bind against the bumper... so it will be more than just the cables

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
looks sweet!!

you should move the 90 degree angled pieces that the pin goes through to lock it in as fare to the bed sides as possible. So you can plate some of the tubing and you can sit on it like a real tailgate.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Yeah I saw that, but still, driving at speed with that thing down I would consider a more rigid setup. The last thing you want is that thing bouncing up and down back there while going down the road. Hardly notice it if it was just the tailgate... but with that much weight it could cause some damage, especially if suspended from the bed sides. it would be easy to add some thick flat bar verticals to the bumper right where the stock mount stuff is already. For the lock at 45 I would reinforce that mechanism uder the bed as well, like a sandwich. This way the bed will be strong enough to keep from bending if there is any play with the locks. All in all I like the idea, might even be cool to skin the backside with some thin sheet metal.. that way you could even use it like a tailgate in camp and on trail.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
good points. although the only time I will drive with it down will be when it has a bike on top of it so if anything I am worried about it giving way more than bouncing around.

·
Registered
338 Posts
i believe that truck belongs to tufftaco.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I like the tire tailgate design... Imma call my local shop and get a quote and see if they'll re-enforce it up a bit!

I'll let ya'll knoe on what I find! (won't be for a while)

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Animal, please do let me know... also let me know what they would want for it if they built 2 instead of 1.....

E

1 - 13 of 13 Posts