TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have two Hella 1000 lights and they are already hooked up to a switch with the hella wiring harness. This is what I need, I want to be able to turn the lights on by hitting my brights and be able to use my brights w/o the hellas. I also want to be able to turn them on and off manually w/o the brights. Will I need two switches for this or what. Let me know if this is too confusing. I'm really not familiar with wiring too so "easy" instructions would help if possible. Thanks, Wes

·
Registered
338 Posts
You could use a single pole double throw switch. Basically you need a switch that has two "on" positions and one "off". (ON-OFF-ON) The center lead would go to relay for you hellas, 12v hot would go to one side of the switch, and a jumper from your hi beam switch would go to the other sid of the swicth.

When you switch it to the first "on" only the hellas come on. When you switch it to the second "on" the hellas turn on with your brights. "Off" only turns the hellas off.

I hope i did't make that too confusing.

·
Registered
552 Posts
You should have received a paper telling how to hook them up just like that with your lights. You need to hook one wire to the bright wire from one of your headlights. You will find that wire right where the wires inter the light. Just use a light prob.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Mike-in-WV said:
You should have received a paper telling how to hook them up just like that with your lights. You need to hook one wire to the bright wire from one of your headlights. You will find that wire right where the wires inter the light. Just use a light prob.
x2, i was just reading it, but i ain't doin it... :p

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
wmflyfisher said:
Ok, I have two Hella 1000 lights and they are already hooked up to a switch with the hella wiring harness. This is what I need, I want to be able to turn the lights on by hitting my brights and be able to use my brights w/o the hellas. I also want to be able to turn them on and off manually w/o the brights. Will I need two switches for this or what. Let me know if this is too confusing. I'm really not familiar with wiring too so "easy" instructions would help if possible. Thanks, Wes
you will need an 'on-off-on' type switch to do that.
one 'on' will be connected to your bright light circuit and the other will be connected directly to either the parking lights (so they only go on with at least your pking lights) or directly to the battery to go on anytime.
In the 'off' position nothing goes on but your normal OE lights.

Ok, someone draw this guy a diagram...I'm too lazy :p

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hytenor said:
you will need an 'on-off-on' type switch to do that.
one 'on' will be connected to your bright light circuit and the other will be connected directly to either the parking lights (so they only go on with at least your pking lights) or directly to the battery to go on anytime.
In the 'off' position nothing goes on but your normal OE lights.

Ok, someone draw this guy a diagram...I'm too lazy :p
No diagram please:) I know exactaly what you mean, I am slow but not retarded! I just didn't know there was such a switch. That will be an easy fix.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mike-in-WV said:
Yeah, when I hooked the harness up I combined two wires that went to my battery should one of these go to my hot high beam wire? Thanks in advance, Wes

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
wmflyfisher said:
Yeah, when I hooked the harness up I combined two wires that went to my battery should one of these go to my hot high beam wire? Thanks in advance, Wes
yup

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
6 Participants
hytenor
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing