TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this antenna mod on off-road.com for our 4Runners. Uses a 240 series Volvo antenna and looks amazing and alleviates any issue while off roading. The problem is that the poster didn't give much info on where to acquire the parts: the antenna (part number, vehicle year, etc), the clips (what the hell they even are, his description gives nothing on google but some patent sites and his post), the antenna assembly he bolts the antenna to. I would do this in a heart beat over the almost $100 taco antenna mod (I am plagued by the terrible motorized unit that doesn't and never has worked properly). If anyone has done this, knows what I am looking for let me know and I'll buy it all and write a decent guide/write up to serve our community. I figure myself a a really good google searcher but I thought using the community would offer better results (as my searching so far has turned nothing up but a eBay post of a mast and base here) and maybe some secrets if anyone has done it already!

http://www.off-road.com/trucks-4x4/tech/20-lowprofile-trailadapted-antenna-install-53836.html

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
The clips look to be simple plastic Adel clamps that you can pick up at most hardware stores.
I have a power antenna so I wired a simple toggle switch into it so I can retract the antenna when off road and I haven't had any trouble with mine.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its not just the dealing with off roading its the crap motor that fails because the teeth break or wear out. id rather do something like this, fix it all up and forget about it

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
Well it wouldn't be rocket science to make your own antenna like that. Wrap some wire around a plastic dowel, glue the wire in place, give it a squirt of platic paint and done.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks but not what I'm looking for either, hence the OP. Thanks for the name on those clips, that helps a bit.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I've had good luck with the short flexible antenna that all the autopart stores carry. Good reception too

·
"Terry Tate"
3,511 Posts
I've had good luck with the short flexible antenna that all the autopart stores carry. Good reception too
Yeah! My turned into looking like a banana after 1 trip up and down the interstate but several years later it still works just fine.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Let's close up this thread it seems this isn't going anywhere just random posts about other people's antennas and their suggestions which was not the purpose of this thread at all.

·
STITCH - Come and Take it!
9,051 Posts
Cool find on that Volvo antenna mod....I may look into it.
It would tuck up nicely next to my snorkle.
Hummm.....

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool find on that Volvo antenna mod....I may look into it.
It would tuck up nicely next to my snorkle.
Hummm.....
Sweet thanks! If I find out anymore info on it i"ll share as well. Just wanted some help in finding the right parts. I did some searching for Volvo 240s and they all had regular antennas. So my search will continue on!

·
9,051 Posts
I saw one on ebay posted in the USA. ...but it looked like it only had one clamp.
Good luck on the mod...I wonder if a Volvo dealership has any of these items.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you have the link to it? I can always get more clamps!

I'm sure they would have 1 or 2 but them stealership prices...haha

·
9,051 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts