TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who knows of a good place to get some? I called the dealership today and they said a shim kit was 50 somthing $$$. I went to replace my pads and rotors this weekend with the hawk\brembo combo and there were no shims at all. Just piston to the metal plate on the back of the pad. Previously done by Les Schwab. So now I am running my new stuff with no shims.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Why didn't you just reuse the shims off the old pads.;)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Use anti squeal adhesive... it basically glues the pad to the piston. But it can still be removed. I've used this for atleast 3 pad changes and haven't had any issues.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Concur with 4XTaco. The shims don't hold up worth a damn to the elements and rust up too much between changes. IMO, they're useless anyway. Just pick up some of the Permatex anti-squeal stuff in a can. I spray the back of all my pads with 2 coats and they're just as quiet as off the showroom floor

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Just a question. When you fellows say 'shims' are you talking about the pad backing plate? I use anti-squeal grease with no problems.

·
Registered
76 Posts
if you buy Raybestos Ceramic pads they come with shims also does Bendixs Ceramic pads, both are exellent pads.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Thanks for clarification! Maybe I'll get new backing plates on my next re-work.
Maybe ?

Hmmm... Brad... is that a big or little maybe :confused:

I've reused mine on an occasion or two... Never seemed to be an issue for me... as long as they are designed for the pads yer using... And haven't ground off the wear indicators... Come to think of it... I hate those wear indicators... :screech::mad: They're just there for folks who don't keep up on there shit... I'm thinking... Aside from the indicators... what's to wear ?.. As long as they are flat they'll work on a reuse...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ended up just buying from the dealer...

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Maybe ?

Hmmm... Brad... is that a big or little maybe :confused:

I've reused mine on an occasion or two... Never seemed to be an issue for me... as long as they are designed for the pads yer using... And haven't ground off the wear indicators... Come to think of it... I hate those wear indicators... :screech::mad: They're just there for folks who don't keep up on there shit... I'm thinking... Aside from the indicators... what's to wear ?.. As long as they are flat they'll work on a reuse...
It's just a 'little'. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts