TTORA Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ALright. I have a 2002 Prerunner Tacoma 2.7 L Automatic. Inch Worm sells an adaptor that will make a gear driven case of a 79-94ish transfer case bolt up to that. Then I would cut the front off and weld up a solid axle in the front. I have a plasma cutter and welder and plenty of friends to do the mod. I'm just not sure If I know how much work I'm getting myself into. I understand that I could probably be better off buying a new truck and leaving mine as is but I like the fact that it will be custom and rare. Deff. depreciate a bunch but I plan on keeping the truck for a while. Anyone have anything to add or suggest. ???

KOnrad

·
concussed
1,159 Posts
anything is possible with tons of money and time!
you dont know how much work your getting yourself into? A LOT.
but what the hell,if you gotta have a 4X4,go for it.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
KOnradComa said:
ALright. I have a 2002 Prerunner Tacoma 2.7 L Automatic. Inch Worm sells an adaptor that will make a gear driven case of a 79-94ish transfer case bolt up to that. Then I would cut the front off and weld up a solid axle in the front. I have a plasma cutter and welder and plenty of friends to do the mod. I'm just not sure If I know how much work I'm getting myself into. I understand that I could probably be better off buying a new truck and leaving mine as is but I like the fact that it will be custom and rare. Deff. depreciate a bunch but I plan on keeping the truck for a while. Anyone have anything to add or suggest. ???

KOnrad
check with SAR_squid79 as he's in the process of doing exactly that. ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
badmoonrising said:
you need to do alot more research before attempting that. what works what doesnt, what interferes with other things, what breaks,what rubs ect.... go read all the stuff in the sas section and youll learn alot.
That's my mine concern. My friends want me to dump some dough into it. Which would mean I'de probably 4-link the suspension instead of using shackles or big leafs. I'm only wanting 35's with some flex. I'm not looking to get the 4-wheeler of the century. I just want a custom truck that works with 4x4 and is a solid truck. I don't want to add a bunch of noises and problems to what is a great truck now. :confused: :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
KRYPTO(dale) said:
anything is possible with tons of money and time!
you dont know how much work your getting yourself into? A LOT.
but what the hell,if you gotta have a 4X4,go for it.
this is true...money may not buy everything..but when your refering to trucks it does! :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hytenor said:
I'll have to talk to him. Get his opinion on cheap axles. I figured the toyo axles would work. I'de just use wheel spacers to kick them out a little. I appreciate your guy's advise.

THANKS

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
KOnradComa said:
That's my mine concern. My friends want me to dump some dough into it. Which would mean I'de probably 4-link the suspension instead of using shackles or big leafs. I'm only wanting 35's with some flex. I'm not looking to get the 4-wheeler of the century. I just want a custom truck that works with 4x4 and is a solid truck. I don't want to add a bunch of noises and problems to what is a great truck now. :confused: :)
Umm, be very aware that a SA Taco will be much much more maintenance intensive than the old IFS. you will have MORE squeaks, pops, clunks, etc than before. Parts will wear out faster than before. It will not be able to be thrashed as much since the frame is still a weak point.

like suggested...do more research. ;)

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
hytenor said:
Not exactly, I think he is only converting to 4x4. not doing a solid axle at the same time.

I have done both and there is a big difference!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts