TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering installing a set of ARB air lockers in my SASed 4runner, but i wheel in a muddy, dirty, wet climate, and i've heard that they have had problems with leaks, therefore not causing the inner o-rings to properly seal.

Has anybody encountered this or heard about it?

If so, any suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
241 Posts
see answer on the other BBS you asked on

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Huh? First, who DOESN'T wheel "in a muddy, dirty, wet climate"?

I had some installation issues with air leaks, but haven't had ANY problems since. I HIGHLY recommend ARB lockers.

·
concussed
1,159 Posts
i have heard that BRAND NEW arbs for tacos have the problems sorted out.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Every problem I've ever seen with an ARB has been an installation problem....not a problem with the ARB's quality.

To answer your question: no, ARBs are not prone to leaks and mud/water conditions have no bearing on whether or not you may develop a leak.

I've yet to meet anyone who's actually run an ARB that dislikes them. I've owned at least 5 diffs equipped with ARBs. I've run full Detroit Softlockers, full spools, lockrights....my personal preference....ARB.

Good luck....

Sean

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
The only problem with ARBs is they need air to keep them locked. You lose the air..YOu lose the locker. Elockers need power to run them but can be locked and unlocked by hand if you lost the power some how.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Correction....some electric lockers can be locked manually. Not all. The Eaton's don't (unless something's recently changed in the design). The Detroit (Trac-tech....now owned by Eaton) Electrac was lockable manually, but they were the biggest POS selectable out there.

Not sure about the Auburn ECTD, but like the Electrac, they are LSD when not engaged....something I'm not interested in for a selectable since it defeats the purpose/advantages of open vs locked.

2 cents,
Sean

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
I'm talking about factory Toyota (Eaton) elockers. Yes they can be locked and unlocked by hand. This is on all model e-locked toys ( Tacomas/ 4Runner/ LC 80/ LC 100) can be manually locked by hand via turning the drive gear.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
hotsnot said:
I am considering installing a set of ARB air lockers in my SASed 4runner, but i wheel in a muddy, dirty, wet climate, and i've heard that they have had problems with leaks, therefore not causing the inner o-rings to properly seal.

Has anybody encountered this or heard about it?

If so, any suggestions?

Thanks!
for a Runner? the RD23 (runner rear) is one of the first ARBs to hit the market and there are thousands of them in use. they are damn near bullit proof. If you run breather extensions for both axles you won't have any issues with water/mud getting into your diffs. If you have an early yota front diff you get the same locker ;)

·
Registered
892 Posts
I've got two ARB's in my Jeep - I've had them in my D44's for 6 years now.
The only issues I've encountered is having a little bit of gear oil spewing out the solenoid exhaust on the rear locker. It's been like that for many years - and the locker still works like a charm. Finally, about 3 years ago we had the o-rings replaced. The o-rings either got contaminated (water in oil) or they weren't installed perfectly (twisted or kinked).

ARB lockers are FLAWLESS!!

They are flawless when they are installed correctly.
They are flawless when they are maintained correctly.
They are flawless when your air system and setup is installed and maintained correctly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts