TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally moved out of the late 90's and upgraded my old Low-Def 36" CRT to a 50" Hi-Def plasma. I spent 3 full days mounting the thing to the wall, running all the wires out of sight, mounting the speakers for the 5.1, building new shelves for all the reciviers, and setting everything up.

Last night I rented Miami Vice and sit down to break in the new TV. Everything worked great EXCEPT my wide screen plasma still has the black bars on top and at the bottom of the screen.

This is a wide screen TV. I thought the whole point of having a widescreen tv was to get rid of the crappy black bars when watching a widescreen movie? I can adjust the image to fit the entire screen if I go to 16:9 zoom mode instead if 16:9 regular mode. But the pictures loses some of its clarity.

Is this normal?

Later,

Chris

·
TTORA SoCal
1,976 Posts
Yup, with new movies that is normal. The back of the case of the movie will probably say anamorphic widescreen. The movie screen is wider than 16:9, so that is the true size of the movie. The older widescreen movies as well as the HD programming on satellite and cable will be 16:9. Just enjoy the movie with the black bars. It will be annoying, but you get used to it:D

·
Registered
532 Posts
yes it is normal. the movie was filmed in a panoramic widescreen format that is wider than a 16x9 tv screen so you still get some small black bars. it is very common in most big budget movies. older movies and most current tv shows are typically in 16x9 format and will fill your entire screen unless they are fullscreen format or are not anamorphic. anamorphic means the video will conform to the shape of your tv screen. older dvd's that are not anamorphic will look streched and distorted horizontally on a widescreen tv unless you set your tv to one of the zoom modes.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CronusTRD said:
Your TV is mad at you for making it play Miami Vice. Other than that, it's normal.
Yea, wasn't the action packed flick I was expecting. Any suggestions for a good break in movie?

Chris

·
Registered
161 Posts
CMB1998 said:
Yea, wasn't the action packed flick I was expecting. Any suggestions for a good break in movie?

Chris
U-571 is good for surround sound, lots of depth charges and splashes around you. Any of the LOTR trilogy are good as well, if those kind of movies are your cup of tea.

·
Registered
808 Posts
strider said:
U-571 is good for surround sound, lots of depth charges and splashes around you. Any of the LOTR trilogy are good as well, if those kind of movies are your cup of tea.
Both good...your sub will get a workout in U-571. Best scene I have heard for surround is the first 30 minutes of Saving Private Ryan. Star Wars (first 3) are good as well. As far as visual qualitty nothing compares to high Def broadcast. The CGI animated movies do look good. The first couple minutes of Diney's Dinasour looks amazing.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
rubberpants said:
Did you get a HD dvd player too? I watched MI3 last night and it was cool.
My understanding was the there is no such thing as a true HD Player unless your running one of the new Blueray/HD units? Is that correct? I did order one of these . Is that the right one?

Might have to give Saving Private Ryan a try tonight.

Thanks.

Chris

·
TTORA SoCal
1,976 Posts
Yeah, that DVD player will clean up the movie alot. I got new equipment a couple of weeks ago too. A DLP tv and a PS3 which has the blu ray HD player in it. Is your TV 1080p compatable? If it isn't, the TV should still look great with that setup. The highest HD as of right now is the 1080p set up though.

·
Registered
532 Posts
CMB1998 said:
My understanding was the there is no such thing as a true HD Player unless your running one of the new Blueray/HD units? Is that correct? I did order one of these . Is that the right one?

Might have to give Saving Private Ryan a try tonight.

Thanks.

Chris
that is a standard dvd player that will display dvd's in the highest quality possible from the format. make sure you use the hdmi connection from your dvd player to the tv with a decent quality cable. yes you are correct, blueray and hddvd are the only true hi def formats available today but you should be very pleased with your current setup on that new dvd player.

·
2,251 Posts
The lobby scene in The Matrix is a good one to test your tv and audio with.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts