TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Is there any advantage, if it can even be done by the way, to installing a V6 intake box to a 2.7L I4?

The box/filter is bigger, so more air should be able to flow?

It's just a thought.

Thx.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
shadymilkman said:
deckplate mod!!
I'd still like to know about the V6 box/filter option.

·
Registered
279 Posts
GoHack said:
I'd still like to know about the V6 box/filter option.
It can be done, I had to modify the housing a little to fit the MAF sensor to the V6 airbox. The hard part is making the intake tube that will have the right bend to meet the new angle of the MAF sensor housing coming off the V6 airbox.

The other problem is making the intake tube clear the coilpacks if you have a 2000+ 3RZ engine.

Here's a pic of the 3RZ MAF sensor housing on the V6 airbox. In the end it was cheaper and MUCH EASIER for me to just buy an aftermarket intake.

The truth is, the intake restriction on the 2.7L is not the airbox or filter itself but in the pipe that goes over the valve cover. The bends in the pipe to clear the coils suck. Also, the rubber hose that comes off the MAF sensor isn't too bad for air flow but it could be a better bend.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thx for the reply.

It was just something I was curious about.

Does anyone make a replacement intake tube?

As for an aftermarket intake, I don't like the exposed filters. They may be fine for autos, but where I offroad, it is extremely dusty, especially when your following someone else's vehicle. While granted, dust still gets into the box, it's not as bad as being comepletely exposed in the engine compartment.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Go to Airaid's website and look at their modular intake tubes (MIT). Not sure if they have one for the 2.7, but it's worth a look if you're that interested.

·
Registered
279 Posts
GoHack said:
Thx for the reply.

It was just something I was curious about.

Does anyone make a replacement intake tube?

As for an aftermarket intake, I don't like the exposed filters. They may be fine for autos, but where I offroad, it is extremely dusty, especially when your following someone else's vehicle. While granted, dust still gets into the box, it's not as bad as being comepletely exposed in the engine compartment.
I bookmarked this thread a while back on the old forum. This guy fitted the older injen intake to the 2.7L airbox. He has the old style ignition and didn't have to worry about coil packs.

http://login.prospero.com/tacomaterritory/messages?msg=27044.1

1 - 7 of 7 Posts