TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any body live in or near san luis obispo? Im the only one of my buddies that have a tacoma and it would be nice to cruise out with some toyota guys for a change.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I wish! I used to live in Morrow Bay for a while and loved it, some sweet spots up there. You shouldnt have any problems finding Toyota friends. Any suggestions on good trails in that area? I might make my way up the coast in the summer.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
theres Hi Mountain road behind lake lopez which takes you to pozo. On top of the ridge there is a jeep trail that is pretty fun, nothing too crazy though. then there is pismo and pozo. pozo is probably your best bet for trails its about 40 minutes from slo. i see that your from san diego, im moving there this summer to go to SDSU. Any good local stuff or do you have to drive aways?

·
Registered
224 Posts
We've got everything. Mountains about 30-40 min, desert about 1-1 1/2hours, Baja 30 min to the boarder. I Wish I had some good pictures, Here is one my friend sent me of the high desert nearby.

But if you're going to State you'll be way to busy to go wheeling. Party! :xozzy:

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
that pic is devils canyon, SAS 35"s minimum unless you are crazy then 33's.

There is evry kind of wheeling here, closest is a nice fun sliders recomended trail about 30 mins form SDSU
then there is some fun stuff about 1 east, more rock crawling stuff.
the desert is wide open and crawlin stuff 1.5 hrs.

and of course there is baja right next door if you have the cajones.

I'm in PB, there is no life east of the 5;)
Mike

·
Registered
224 Posts
miguelitro said:
that pic is devils canyon, SAS 35"s minimum unless you are crazy then 33's.

There is evry kind of wheeling here, closest is a nice fun sliders recomended trail about 30 mins form SDSU
then there is some fun stuff about 1 east, more rock crawling stuff.
the desert is wide open and crawlin stuff 1.5 hrs.

and of course there is baja right next door if you have the cajones.

I'm in PB, there is no life east of the 5;)
Mike
try wheeling west of the 5 :D
My buddy did the canyon in an 85 runner with 33's...beat it up but made it!
You surf? suppost to be up to 10ft by sunday

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok so it sounds like there are a lot of choices. i personally like the dunes and high speed stuff but then again it is fun to go on a trail and test out the articulation and check out the views. im not a big surfer but i like the beach. dirt bikes and quads and offroading is more my style which it sounds like there is plenty of everything there

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
I used to live in SLO and I'm up there a few times a month...there are a few wheeling spots up there.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
yeah i do have to drive to wheel but i can walk to surf!

been surfing for about 20 some years...of course it helps to be born and raised right on the beach here:D

·
Registered
200 Posts
You should check out the Nacimiento-Ferguson Road between you and Big Sur (Los Padres National Forest). There are a few trails off of that road and some killer camping spots.

·
Registered
224 Posts
[/QUOTE]
That Baja?
Yeah I've got to drive 10 mins. to the beach now that I moved inland a little but at least I know my truck will be where I parked it in the morning :D

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
rynosurf said:
That Baja?
Yeah I've got to drive 10 mins. to the beach now that I moved inland a little but at least I know my truck will be where I parked it in the morning :D[/QUOTE]

san jaunico;)

my hood is pretty chill, have a parking spot and in the 28 years i've lived here i cant ever remember a car getting stolen, though one time a neighbors rims got jacked :confused: they must have been nice and bikes dissapear fast.

If youare ever on LAw st and see me in the front yard with a little black dog say whats up.

·
Registered
224 Posts
If you pass Salmon Creek along the 1 on your way to go wheeling, stop and check out the cave at the top of the waterfall. I sure youve been there if you live in SLO. Willow creek is cool to explore too. Theres a cable bridge that leads to an old house foundation up in the hills there good place to camp.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ive never heard of salmon creek before. where along highway 1 is that? this weekend is a 4 day weekend for cuesta so if anyone wants to meet up and wheel let me know

·
Registered
224 Posts
Salmon creek is not a 4x spot its just a cool place to check out. I Think its about an hour north of Ragged Point, its one of those big horseshoe turns along the 1 where a river cut out the cliffs. you can usually see a waterfall from the Hywy. If you hike back about 75 yards there is a cool spot to camp near the water. ive never been harrased there before but it wouldnt hurt to get a wildernest adventure pass. :camping:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm going wheeling near pozo tomorrow. I don't know the area that well, but i've been out there once and it's awesome. If anyone wants to join, let me know.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
SCTaco said:
You should check out the Nacimiento-Ferguson Road between you and Big Sur (Los Padres National Forest). There are a few trails off of that road and some killer camping spots.
I was just there last week, ran a ton of the trails along the old coastal ridge route, down to Los Burros? rd. It's realy nice up there, nothing too hard. I came in from the east side of the road and the 101, when you get to Fort Hunnter Ligget base entrance you can get a pass to go accross the base to the other side of Nacimiento-Ferguson road and take that up there.. you need to have your registration, drivers lic, and insurance, and they may search your vehical, but if they are not doing any training in that area they will let you cut across. Just no playing with the tanks, they time you to make sure you don't play around on the base... plus they may use you as a target if you stray off the road...

You could probably spend days on all the trails off the southern portion from Nacimiento, and you get some awesome coastal view too. I go up to SLO about every other week for a day or two for my work, but I'm usualy driving the Yaris since it gets way way better milage than the FJ on 34's..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts