TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My tranny is great. When you're already going. But I'm gonna whine like a girl about some things, so bear with me. Clutch throw. I'm 6 ft tall..... no engineer in Japan is more than 5'5" . Why is the clutch throw such a POS? The tranny grunts its' way in on the freeway and the like if you don't have that clutch to the floor! And, the pig hardly wants to hit first gear at 3 am when we are going hunting. It just warbles around in neutral, and when you try to stick it in, it feels like.... when I was married. Any Ideas would be appreciated, and I'll hit you up for a tow soon, when I finally break something!! :xdevil:

·
Registered
64 Posts
rojodiablo said:
My tranny is great. When you're already going. But I'm gonna whine like a girl about some things, so bear with me. Clutch throw. I'm 6 ft tall..... no engineer in Japan is more than 5'5" . Why is the clutch throw such a POS? The tranny grunts its' way in on the freeway and the like if you don't have that clutch to the floor! And, the pig hardly wants to hit first gear at 3 am when we are going hunting. It just warbles around in neutral, and when you try to stick it in, it feels like.... when I was married. Any Ideas would be appreciated, and I'll hit you up for a tow soon, when I finally break something!! :xdevil:
I've heard people having good results with switching to a synthetic fluid such as Redline MT90.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
rojodiablo said:
wow, it sounds like you have some serious problems there. have you checked the fluid rez? how many miles on the truck? what year?

don't go drive the new '05; you'll fall in love with its clutch ;)

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, it's not a serious deal, and it shifts fine when warm. It just seems the synchros are really tight in their engagements. My ford, hate to admit it, had a lot better engagement. Too bad the rest of the truck didn't cooperate as much. I'll change gear oil, and tell you about it next week. Thanks all.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
rojodiablo said:
No, it's not a serious deal, and it shifts fine when warm. It just seems the synchros are really tight in their engagements. My ford, hate to admit it, had a lot better engagement. Too bad the rest of the truck didn't cooperate as much. I'll change gear oil, and tell you about it next week. Thanks all.
I switched to synthetics and noticed a slight change in shifting ease but not that much.

·
Registered
203 Posts
rojodiablo said:
Run Redline MT-90 in there. It'll give you better shifting. Mine shifts way better after my 2nd change of MT-90. As for the throws, try a short throw shifter.

·
Registered
203 Posts
rojodiablo said:
The engagements on the Taco suck. You have to work at being smooth unlike other sticks. After 103,000 miles, 510 # torque and Redline MTL, my 94 GT's T-5 shifts and engagements feel like silk compared to my Taco.

·
Registered
67 Posts
rojodiablo said:
The tranny grunts its' way in on the freeway and the like if you don't have that clutch to the floor! And, the pig hardly wants to hit first gear at 3 am when we are going hunting. It just warbles around in neutral, and when you try to stick it in, it feels like.... when I was married. :xdevil:
If it looks like a truck and shifts like a truck, it is a truck. There's a video over on customtacos where the cam is on the driver as he supposedly takes 'er up to 120mph from a stop. He doesn't miss any shifts, but it is amusing how slowly he has to shift gears.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Same problem with my 1996 with 111,000. PITA to get it to go into 1st....
Goes with the territory.

·
Registered
464 Posts
BOOBANELLI21 said:
I've heard people having good results with switching to a synthetic fluid such as Redline MT90.

I recently changed to Redline MT-90 and it helped a lot. I live in Montana and now that winter has come around I can really tell the difference from dino gear oil.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
7 Participants
brendog84cj8
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing