TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im going to fab. my own pre-runner/skid plate bumper BAJA style, i need some ideas. Will you guys show me the most durable, clean looking front bumper for some ideas? i drive an 05 tacoma and would like to keep the bumper bolt on just incase i decide to sell my pride and joy someday. THANKS

·
Registered
600 Posts
Cheapest route is a tube push bar. No light hoop(s), just a support structure for a skid and one horizontal bar. I've seen some done with square tubing; they look nice as well. Mine was made out of 1.75" DOM.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I hate to say it man.....but I would recommend searching on this one because there are alot of custom fabbed bumpers on here. I would find a few, hit up the fabbers on what specs they did for their's and then go from there. Dont know if that helps at all.....

Coot

·
Registered
720 Posts
I'm thinking about building my own too. I wanted Demello's but not for $1200.00 . I haven't seen any square tube prerunner style bumpers.

·
Registered
388 Posts
1 3/4" .120 wall DOM, 18ft is about $70-80, thats all you need for tubing. Get some 1/8th or 3/16th plate for gussets or from plating and your done. about $100 in materials. If you have a bender welder and a grinder then you're set.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I called a guy here in AZ and he said if I get him the materials, he can make me one how ever I want between $300 and $350 (if anyone in AZ needs other fab work done, he works for $55 an hour) I had never thought to do square tubing, is it just as strong as round? Im new to the whole fab-ing thing.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Call around to some metal supply stores and ask for prices on 1 3/4" .120" wall D.O.M. tubing. Should be around $4 a foot, one stick, 18-20ft, will do a nice bumper.

Do you want a skid?
Do you want it bolt on?
Frame horns?

You'll need more materials for any of those extras.

·
Registered
700 Posts
If its just a bumper you could use HREW instead of DOM. probably around 2 bucks a foot, use to be able to get it for close to 1 dollar a foot a couple of years ago. Nice cheap mild steel. Its just a bumper, it'll be plenty strong if you build it right. I like using cheaper stuff for the bumpers just to have sort of a designed weakness, sort of like a crumple zone so you don't do major damage to your frame if you smack somthing real good.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Call around to some metal supply stores and ask for prices on 1 3/4" .120" wall D.O.M. tubing. Should be around $4 a foot, one stick, 18-20ft, will do a nice bumper.

Do you want a skid?
Do you want it bolt on?
Frame horns?

You'll need more materials for any of those extras.
He said he wants it to bolt on, that means more money.
He needs a skid if it's an 05+ like his avatar. They look like crap without them.

Like I said, if I guy offered to build me a bumper for $250, I would run. It's probably pipe, not tube.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I built a bumper out of sch. 40. I was misinformed at the time and would go with mild steel again.

However, it held up to 50mph head on impact against a guardrail. The pipe didn't break, or even split. It stayed together enough to bend the frame horns enough to puncture the front tires.

·
Registered
720 Posts
What the difference between schedule 40. and dom? That has something to do with the way that the seem is welded, right?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
look at the dmz(DMZFAB.COM) style bumper if your going with the dessert style bumper. this is what most of the dessert style bumpers come out to be IMO. BBRfabrications is nice too look at brocks bumper it looks really nice good luck.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes, my truck is my avatar, a little out-dated but yes i have an 05. I am wanting to do a skid as Menacekustoms said because hes right thats the only way to go, and yes Bolt-on i know some say its weaker but i like it

·
Registered
912 Posts
Don't use square tubing, it will look gay like my bumper. I'm a fan of bolt on bumpers. The sway bar bolt holes on the bottom of the frame are a good tie in for the bumper lower crossmember if you are doing bolt-on and you ditch your sway bar.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts