TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys/girls, I know there are about a MILLION posts on gas mileage, but I have almost 10,000 miles on my 06 extra cab V6 4X4 6sp sport, and I’m averaging 15-16 mpg, and that’s BABYING it (under 65 on all freeways, never RPM above 2500 anywhere). That’s with about 85% freeway driving too. I’m about to take it in for its 10,000 mile checkup and was wondering if you guys may have ideas of what could be causing this mileage. :confused:
I read about someone with a messed up O2 sensor, so I may have them check that out for me, is there anything else you can think of? Most ppl are averaging at least 17-18mpg, so I really think something is wrong with my truck. Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Maybe you babied it too much? You aren't even supposed to shift under 2500 rpms, I would guess. Maybe reset the ECU and drive it regular.

If that doesn't work, I'd say something is wrong with your truck. I was just reading that 03 4runners, the first year with the 4.0 I think, had O2 sensor probs. ...but that was a long time ago.

·
Registered
836 Posts
My wife drive's her '06, D-cab (TRD O/R), 6sp, pretty agressively and she is getting 17.5-19. Only thing we've changed from the factory is a K&N air filter, and that made no noticable difference in gas milage. I wouldn't go so far as re-setting the ECU, but I would definately not baby it any more. Let the ECU "learn" to optimize performance and milage at all RPM levels. Since you are at 10k, you are definately past the initial break-in where you want to baby it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I too have a 06 V6 Dbl Cab 6-spd offroad. Just passed 10k on it yesterday. Best MPG to date is about 18 mpg but I average around 15mpg. I do a mix of highway and local driving. I have tried accelerating less aggresivly and that improved my milage a bit, but nothing worth talking about. I seem to find that most of the people who rave about good gas mileage tend to live in the flatlands of the south, don't have 4wd, or have the 4cyl engine, or they just don't really keep track of their milage.

·
Registered
24 Posts
2006 4CYL 2.7 5SPD Access Cab PreRunner - Stock Air Filter - No Mods

Location - North Georgia

STOCK TIRES - I usually get right @ 400 miles to a full tank when the low fuel light comes on. I can run another 30 miles before I re-fuel so 430 is my tops.

285 75 16 3" Revtek - Just put my first test in on the tires and got 330 before the light came on and finished @ 355. I have a heavy foot also.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
barlowrs said:
Hey guys/girls, I know there are about a MILLION posts on gas mileage, but I have almost 10,000 miles on my 06 extra cab V6 4X4 6sp sport, and I’m averaging 15-16 mpg, and that’s BABYING it (under 65 on all freeways, never RPM above 2500 anywhere). That’s with about 85% freeway driving too. I’m about to take it in for its 10,000 mile checkup and was wondering if you guys may have ideas of what could be causing this mileage. :confused:
I read about someone with a messed up O2 sensor, so I may have them check that out for me, is there anything else you can think of? Most ppl are averaging at least 17-18mpg, so I really think something is wrong with my truck. Thanks a lot!
dont be a bitch and start giving it the skinny......if u are that anal about mpg, go buy a prius

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
haha, well i dont really mind about gas milage that much, i am about to lift it and put on bigger tires, so i know my gas milage is going to die, i just want to make sure nothign is wrong with my truck, at the moment.

p.s. i dont think gas prices could EVER be high enough to make me buy a prius, id walk to work before buying that, haha.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I am not sure if this has any merit at all, but, I was using 87 octane in my '05 dbl cab 4x4 auto and getting about 14 in town.

I have been running 93 octane now and getting about 17 in town. I have checked this more than once and had the same result.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
tacundra said:
I am not sure if this has any merit at all, but, I was using 87 octane in my '05 dbl cab 4x4 auto and getting about 14 in town.

I have been running 93 octane now and getting about 17 in town. I have checked this more than once and had the same result.
nice. thanks for the input. i run 89 right now, but ill try out 91 and see what happens.

·
Registered
7 Posts
barlowrs said:
nice. thanks for the input. i run 89 right now, but ill try out 91 and see what happens.
before you do... check the cost efectiveness... 15mpg for a 20 gal tank is 300 miles... getting 2mpg more would bring it to 320... but cost you (up here.. 30-40 cents more... that's a diffrence of 7.5 miles per dollar (for regular $2.30*20gal=$46 300miles/$46) and 5.7 Miles per dollar (for premium at $ 2.79*20gal=$55.8 320miles/$55.8)

now if your motor is pinging... then YES my all means switch... but if not... it's really just costing you in the long run...

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ebbs15 said:
before you do... check the cost efectiveness... 15mpg for a 20 gal tank is 300 miles... getting 2mpg more would bring it to 320... but cost you (up here.. 30-40 cents more... that's a diffrence of 7.5 miles per dollar (for regular $2.30*20gal=$46 300miles/$46) and 5.7 Miles per dollar (for premium at $ 2.79*20gal=$55.8 320miles/$55.8)

now if your motor is pinging... then YES my all means switch... but if not... it's really just costing you in the long run...
good call, yeah, id check that, but like i said before, i really dont care about the cost, i just want maek sure nothing is wrong with my truck. im sure once i lift it and everything toyota woudl never look into gas milage, they'd say its because of the lift, so if i need to have them check anything, i want to do it before the lift.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah I saw what you said... I talking more about just the switch'n of gas... unless it's harming your motor... run the cheapest crap you can. but yeah figure out if there's something wrong first...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Speaking of gas, how about Costco. Here in CA they have a prety good price on their 91. I know, I know, "buy a pirus and shut up" but still, with 17-18 mpg it adds up.

·
Registered
217 Posts
My mileage has taken a real hit with the cold temps setting in here. I'm getting between 60-70 fewer miles per tank compared to what I normally get in the spring and summer. Over the last two winters I've noticed that the cold has a big impact on mileage with this truck, more so then some of my previous vehicles. Kinda sucks but what can ya do, it's not a prius.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I think some of you are missing the point. He's not complaining, he's just noting that it's lower than some others have said and wants to make sure there is nothing wrong.

That being said, your milage sounds about right, just depends on the area you have to drive in.

·
Registered
803 Posts
06tacomaGA said:
2006 4CYL 2.7 5SPD Access Cab PreRunner - Stock Air Filter - No Mods

Location - North Georgia

STOCK TIRES - I usually get right @ 400 miles to a full tank when the low fuel light comes on. I can run another 30 miles before I re-fuel so 430 is my tops.

285 75 16 3" Revtek - Just put my first test in on the tires and got 330 before the light came on and finished @ 355. I have a heavy foot also.
:flipoff4: :flipoff3: :flipoff2: :flipoff3: :flipoff1: :D I'm lucky when I get 240 miles before the low fuel light comes on.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I think the point is that by now you would think Toyota engineers would be able to get better mileage out of an engine- yes, I understand that there are limitations on efficiency, etc, but damn, my buddy's Tahoe averages 20mpg and is a bigger heavier truck. Another friend has a Honda Pilot; it weighs almost a thousand pounds more, has about 10 more horsepower yet has higher mpg ratings. Heck, my 1980 FJ40 would get approximately 14mpg when it had the Webber on it and it was tuned up yet my pickup which is twenty six years newer can’t get but two mpg better (and the Cruiser engine design dates from the fifties)?

It's not unreasonable to expect Toyota to be able to get better gas mileage out of their trucks considering what they’ve managed to do with some of the cars. The Avalon has 30 more horsepower, weighs approximately 200 pounds more yet has fuel ratings of 22/31.

It’s time folks quit expecting a truck to get crappy gas mileage (it’ll never match a car’s with their better aerodynamics), but there’s no reason they can’t do better. Reducing the countries dependence on oil can only help all of us- I love my truck but filling it up every weeks sucks.

I've seen a decrease in mileage on the last couple tanks too- ~16.5 down to ~15.5 (yes, I calculate it every tank). Oh, and I’m pushing 41,000 miles as of this afternoon (V6, 6 speed and drive it easy).

ETA- my 95 Taco (V6, 5 speed, 4wd) averaged around 18mpg.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
FWIW. 05 V6 Sport, 6spd, 285's

When AZ rolls out the oxygenated fuel, I see about 15MPG. City, highway, foot to the floor, towing, light on the pedal, whatever. During the summer, with the AC full blast and the "normal" fuel, about 16 city and 18 highway.

I would estimate that my 98 4Runner was about the same and my 89 3.0 truck got considerably better mileage.

Not that this has any bearing but I have the nicotine habit, so the price of a gallon of gas doesn't even phase me anymore... :baby:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts