TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I'll be graduating in March with a bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering. I'd love to work in the automotive industry, anything related will be fine. I've been a student mechanic for 2.5 years so I have a decent amount of hands on experience including: maintenance and servicing, troubleshooting, rebuilding motors, metal fabrication, etc. I'd prefer to stay in California. I'd greatly appreciate it if anyone can help me out.

Thanks!
Megan

·
Registered
587 Posts
iaintdumb2 said:
Hey All,

I'll be graduating in March with a bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering. I'd love to work in the automotive industry, anything related will be fine. I've been a student mechanic for 2.5 years so I have a decent amount of hands on experience including: maintenance and servicing, troubleshooting, rebuilding motors, metal fabrication, etc. I'd prefer to stay in California. I'd greatly appreciate it if anyone can help me out.

Thanks!
Megan
WOOOOOOOOT another TTORA grad this year, GL finding a job :)

·
Registered
655 Posts
apply for the new toyota plant in san antonio, texas. building the new tundra and also expanding the plant to start building heavy duty industrial models :eek:

·
STITCH - Come and Take it!
9,051 Posts
Check out Hot Jobs and Monster, you may get lucky and see a post by an automotive supplier or OEM. Here in SA they are still looking for engineers for Toyota and their supplies, but be forewarned working with Toyota or any Japanese OEM (Honda, etc), it is very hard work and lllooonnngggg hours. I was a 15 year automotive engineer (BSME) vet. I worked for one Japanese supplier for about a decade and did long hours and tons of travel. On the bad side, did not spend tons of time with friends and family, good side, I learned a ton of experience that has allowed me to go on a different job path. I am now the senior APQP Engineer for a beverage designing and manuft company and still get paid similar to my automotive pay.
So it was an interesting trip I went through.

But anyways, good luck in your search!

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Congrats on your upcoming graduation! Did you do your EIT yet?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks everyone. I ended up not taking the EIT because of all the mixed feelings. Most leaned towards the no side...

Like I said, I'd really prefer to stay in CA, the bay area specifically but I know there isn't much for automotive up here. I'm about 5 minutes away from Nummi and I've submitted my app there. I know several people that have done internships there and one that has continued to a full time position. He loves it there.

I've been checking Monster, Careerbuilder, Craigslist, and the job thingy through my school. I'll check out Hot Jobs too. I see the market for civil engineers is huge. About 80-90% of the listings I see are for CE. Most of the ME stuff I see is for medical devices, hardware, etc. I just can't bring myself up to apply for those because I have absolutely no interest.

EDIT:
Any suggestions on specific companies or type of positions where I can actually work with my hands as opposed to number crunching and such

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Just curious, but what do your associates consider to be the downsides of licensing...other than taking the tests and paying the fees?

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
iaintdumb2 said:
Hey All,

Thanks!
Megan

i'm done in a year with my Bachelors in ME!!!! I can't freaggin wait

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Don't believe CWest. He just sits around all day and doesn't do shit.

:rofl: :xmoon: :flipoff3:

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
In my experience in manufacturing, being a PE wouldn't bring any benefit compared to other certifications, like Six Sigma Black Belt. All that said, I'm glad I took the FE exam while I was in college - opened a lot of options while the knowledge was still fresh. Being an EIT (and on track for PE certification) is almost required for any consulting job.

I decided to go more into materials because it was more hands-on. "Manufacturing" engineering tends to be more hands-on too.

x2 for Monster. That's how I've got my last couple jobs (both of which are automotive related). Set up a search agent in there to notify you daily of jobs that are posted that fit your criteria. Don't be dead set on your first job being your "dream" job - get some experience, narrow down what you're looking for (and where) and be open as those options present themselves.

I would HIGHLY recommend checking out your local community college for six sigma classes. Since I've been certified, I am literally beating away the recruiters with a stick!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts