TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of getting some new headlamps for my tacoma. I was wondering if anyone has a preference in bramd for superwhites or the blue ones. I've heard some are awesome and some are a waste of money. Anyone have any personal experience with any pf the aftermarket lights. Thanks for any advice/options.

Later,

J

·
concussed
1,159 Posts
i have silverstars on my trd. better than stock-for sure.

expectations,considering the price-slightly disappointed.but they are better

·
Registered
793 Posts
Have only tried the Silverstars. Brighter than stock and whiter, but not HIDs.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right on... Thanks guys, I've been looking at those. I'll try to pick me up a set of them in the next few days.

Thanks,

J

·
Registered
170 Posts
I know you can pick up Silverstars at Advanced Auto Parts - as long as they are the same ones that you guys are talking about for your trucks.

Chris

·
609 Posts
Mikeyk280 said:
Where is the cheapest place to get a set of those?
Susquehanna Motorsports SUV Lights
The SUV website has the upgrded wiring harness as well. Do not get the Xenon Optilux bulbs from Susquehanna-Too bright for the State Patrol!

·
Registered
793 Posts
Mikeyk280 said:
Where is the cheapest place to get a set of those?
Walmart, iffin they carry your application.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have talked to a couple people that say that the wiring harness is not worth the money you are going to spend. If you want some truely brighter headlights then why don't you buy some HID's if you have the money.

I'm personally buying a set Silverstars as soon as I go to Advanced to buy my Safari Bar and Lights. I can't wait to finally add some things to my truck. I have been running around for the most part stock now for 2 months and it's killing me.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'm pretty happy with the Silverstars. I held off buying them for the longest time because I thought they would have that cheezy blue tint most bulbs have and I hate.

They have a different color, but it's mostly just nice and white. As for additional lighting performance, I think it's a minimal improvement over stock. Nothing to get too excited about, but I think it's better.

·
Registered
553 Posts
ditto for the silverstars... much whiter, brighter?... thats your call... definatly a step up, but the pricetag comes with it... part # for a 98 taco is.... 9003 st (just installed mine on xmas !!!) got em at walmart for something like $38 + tax...

·
Registered
77 Posts
the ones i had

txtaco1 said:
I was thinking of getting some new headlamps for my tacoma. I was wondering if anyone has a preference in bramd for superwhites or the blue ones. I've heard some are awesome and some are a waste of money. Anyone have any personal experience with any pf the aftermarket lights. Thanks for any advice/options.

Later,

J
Sylvania 9006st
silverstar high performance halogen

That's what I use on my chevy and they make a difference for sure. I had one go out and asked to get some new ones but I wanted brighter ones this time and he gave me those. very noticeable difference from what came stock.

·
Registered
77 Posts
HoT_DoGgIN said:
ditto for the silverstars... much whiter, brighter?... thats your call... definatly a step up, but the pricetag comes with it... part # for a 98 taco is.... 9003 st (just installed mine on xmas !!!) got em at walmart for something like $38 + tax...
LOL you got scammed they have them here at Advance Autoparts for 20 bucks. 19.98 to be exact for the set. Wally world got you good

·
Registered
836 Posts
jjrambo said:
LOL you got scammed they have them here at Advance Autoparts for 20 bucks. 19.98 to be exact for the set. Wally world got you good
You sure that's the off the shelf price for a pair? That looks like the price for one bulb everywhere I've looked unless they offer a mail-in rebate.

·
Registered
196 Posts
i replaced mine with the silver stars. love em. advanced auto in lower alabama has them right now for 19.99. buy one and get the second for 1/2 price. not 2 shabby

·
Registered
878 Posts
http://www.rallylights.com/hella/bulb_help.htm

I don't think you should waste your money on Silverstars....they don't last long and they are no brighter than the Hella 9003 bulbs I replaced my stock ones with...and payed half the price of silverstars for! (I have done side to side comparisons to Silverstars and other whiter colored bulbs)

if you compare a stock bulb to a silverstar of course a faded out stock bulb won't compare!
read thru the web site above(xenon section expesually) ...any white light bulb over 27% xenon gas is a waste of money unless you are using an HID bulb and system! compare a bulbs reflective light and not the head on appearance!

find a bulb with some % xenon and that has a L in the product code (for long life) of what ever brand... every automotive bulb I've seen with a color temp over 3000K also comes with a short or really short life...this side of HID
the 30% or 50% xenon Hella bulbs would be ideal if you want a "whiter" looking bulb (the site above has great prices but I have not personally bought from them as I bought locally before I did the research)...and if you want brighter you can get a bulb with more than 55 watts low beam and 60 watts high beam...but your wiring system will most likely not like anything over 85 watts from my experience...and less if you have after market lights on the stock wiring reliably.

I am plenty happy with 55/60 watt standard Hella 9003 bulbs light pattern and output, plus they match the output of the H3 bulb in the Micro DE lights I have with out frying my wiring harness...I don't know at what level(%) but they have some Xenon in them because they have a higher color temp than the stock Koito and other brand Halogen bulbs and appear to reflect light on the pavement that is whiter(more natural) than other halogen bulbs!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thank You!!

I was going to post that Sylvania states on their website that the Expected Life of the Silverstars is "Upto one year" - I don't want to change my lights every freakin' year!! (take way to much time away from what I call a LIFE.... grins).

Sounds like you are in the know on bulbs... so the Hella 9003 are a direct replacement bulb for Tacos, eh? (9003's are what is in my '01)

I've been thinking about adding fogs to my truck; maybe this spring (santa didn't bring me a garage this year again... drat!).

Which Fogs do you folks recommend??

Thanks and Happy Holidaze!

PRB

1 - 20 of 33 Posts