TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went get a tire plugged this morning and they broke a lug stud so I had to go to Toyota to get another stud and new lug nut. Anyway there is a Pepboys right there so I stopped in to check and see if they carried the Wagner pads someone suggested. They didn't have them so I picked up some Raybestos PG (professional grade) pads. They were the best ceramic pads they had (most expensive $50 was the list) and on sale for $30. Are these a good pad?

The gentle man at the parts counter also gave me some lube for the pads... I've never lubed the pad before? Is that correct for ceraminc? Is there anything else I need to know? I've changed pads plenty but this will be the first time for my Tacoma. I watched the guy repair my lug stud and it seemed easy enough to get the caliper off so I'm thinking it's gonna be a breeze. I was also able to confirm that my break pads were shot! Thanks in advance for any input, I'm gonna get on it 1st thing in the morning.

I'm going to google it now to see if I can find any "how to" write ups. Any links would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
The lube is for the pins, and any shafts, moving parts on the caliper assembly. DO NOT get any on your pad mateial, or on the rotor. If you do, clean it with brake cleaner immediately, and a rag. He might have given you anti squeal compound for the pads. Better known as high temp cilicone. It goes on the BACK metal plate of the pads, NOT on the brake surface. Once again, immediately clean with brake cleaner if you floob this . It is realatively easy. A pair of med c- clamps to push the pistons back into the caliper slowly, and you are getting to be on your way.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
txtaco1 said:
I went get a tire plugged this morning and they broke a lug stud so I had to go to Toyota to get another stud and new lug nut. Anyway there is a Pepboys right there so I stopped in to check and see if they carried the Wagner pads someone suggested. They didn't have them so I picked up some Raybestos PG (professional grade) pads. They were the best ceramic pads they had (most expensive $50 was the list) and on sale for $30. Are these a good pad?

The gentle man at the parts counter also gave me some lube for the pads... I've never lubed the pad before? Is that correct for ceraminc? Is there anything else I need to know? I've changed pads plenty but this will be the first time for my Tacoma. I watched the guy repair my lug stud and it seemed easy enough to get the caliper off so I'm thinking it's gonna be a breeze. I was also able to confirm that my break pads were shot! Thanks in advance for any input, I'm gonna get on it 1st thing in the morning.

I'm going to google it now to see if I can find any "how to" write ups. Any links would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason
on a prerunner/4wd you do not take teh calipers off, you pull the pins push the cylenders back and put the new pads in, done... no bolts get taken off.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't think he (the guy at Pepboys) knew what he was talking about!!! He told me specifically to apply to pad surface!!! I'm glad I asked before hand.... I knew it didn't sound right and he sounded like he didn't know. Shhheeewwww...

So yea, I feel dumb for asking know! I'm off to install me some new brakes!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll try it your way but even so there are just two bolts to remove the calipers and I think that will be easier than trying to squeze them in between the caliper and rotor?

I've been wrong before though!!!! LOL!!! I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks,

J

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sweet, your right I didn't have to take off the calipers. Ended up I had to go back because they gave me the wrong parts the 1st time.

On the 2nd side (passenger) I did have to take the caliper off only because one of the pistons was out so far I could not get it depressed w/o taking it off and taking some pliers to it. It's all done! No problem, took me about 2 hours including going up to tha part store and re-tighting all of my u-bolts from installing my lift a mont or soo ago. Next time it shouldn't take but 20-30 minutes if that.

Thanks,

J

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just read this thread. Since you have done pads many times, a quick question. Do you worry about turning the rotors? Does anyone out there worry about that on a Tacoma? I will have to do my pads on the truck for the first time in a few months. I have done pads on some other vehicles. Glad your job went so easily.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Jerrym49 said:
I just read this thread. Since you have done pads many times, a quick question. Do you worry about turning the rotors? Does anyone out there worry about that on a Tacoma? I will have to do my pads on the truck for the first time in a few months. I have done pads on some other vehicles. Glad your job went so easily.
Honestly I dont worry about them that much, unless you can see/feel that they are screwed up (ie rivits rubbing threw or cracking surface. I just replaced my rotors after 125k and not turning them once, they still looked brand new! and ive gone threw about 4 sets of pads, I dont know why but they never had a problem... Recently I upgraded to Slotted/Crossdrilled with ceramic pads (irotors.com is awesome btw) and my stopping power is insane! I will never run a factory rotor/pad again, i tried the vatozone special aka Performance Friction pads and they could not stop for shit... Im glad I made the change..

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
DesertTRD said:
Honestly I dont worry about them that much, unless you can see/feel that they are screwed up (ie rivits rubbing threw or cracking surface. I just replaced my rotors after 125k and not turning them once, they still looked brand new! and ive gone threw about 4 sets of pads, I dont know why but they never had a problem... Recently I upgraded to Slotted/Crossdrilled with ceramic pads (irotors.com is awesome btw) and my stopping power is insane! I will never run a factory rotor/pad again, i tried the vatozone special aka Performance Friction pads and they could not stop for shit... Im glad I made the change..
Have you had any brake fade after heavy use with the slotted/crossdrilled rotors and ceramic pads? I'm thinking about upgrading to help my braking while towing.

Tim

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
tbplus10 said:
Have you had any brake fade after heavy use with the slotted/crossdrilled rotors and ceramic pads? I'm thinking about upgrading to help my braking while towing.

Tim
None yet, and ive used them pretty hard already, enough to make em smoke! I would only suggest the slotted for your application, i went crossdrilled also so that I had that heat dissipation.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
tbplus10 said:
Thanks, I was already thinking just slotted, I only need gas dispersal, I've got a 5spd and use compression braking most times, but the extra stop on the pedal would be nice.
Tim
slotting isnt for gas dispursal, thats crossdrilled the slotting makes sure every swipe of the pad will be clean, it takes a fine layer of pad off every time its hit.

Take a look here, its hard to see but the slots dont goto the end of the rotor for a reason.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wouldn't think you would need to have your rotors turned unless you are having some vibration or some other issues. If your just doing routine maintanece I wouldn't think it would be necessary althought it look like someone already. Hope it goeas as easy as mine did. It was the easiest I've changed so far. Would have been nice if someone warned me about removing the cap from the fluid resivior. I had fluid dripping wondering where the hell it was coming from. After about 5 minutes I finally figured out it was "just" brake fluid! LOL!

Later,

J

·
Registered
8 Posts
Glad to hear that ceramic pads are available for Toyota. I put some on my Cevy Astro van and they really work great and you can kiss that black dust goodbye. I would strongly recomend having the rotors turned before installing new pads. They will last a lot longer. I can send you a picture out of my 2002 Toyota sevice manual if that would help. I guess I would have to have an e-mail address

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
6 Participants
captleemo
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing