TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a bad whine in my rear diff so ordered some bearings, solid pinion spacer, and a Spartan (while I'm in there right? :D ). Was thinking of trying to tackle it myself but looking through all of Zuk's links, kinda getting cold feet. Wondering if anyone has experience doing it that can assist me a little, or atleast some friendly advice.

thanks

·
Registered
650 Posts
Did you order a full install kit? I will be working on a couple of trucks this weekend in the garage and I could point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The bigger question is whether you have the tools needed.
So yeah, no press or bearing splitter although since I'm not reusing the bearings on the pinion, I assumed we could low tech the later one.

Not a kit, but I'll have all the bearings, solid pinion spacer, and new seal. Not sure what else there is. Also might not be til next week that all the parts come in.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Well, I've got all the tools needed if you feel like driving south 30 min.. And I've set up a ton of 3rds and diffs.. I've even have spare shims and gear pattern compound that would have come in the master install kit.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Scuba, feel free to stop by, I'm sure we will need a grinding bitch :)!

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Well, I've got all the tools needed if you feel like driving south 30 min.. And I've set up a ton of 3rds and diffs.. I've even have spare shims and gear pattern compound that would have come in the master install kit.
I can say he did a good job on mine. thanks again. been driving around on it for a couple weeks.
I might come up to get my glasses :cool: lol and put some break in miles on the diffs. If I can not get my welder set up right, might need some help welding on my junk.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Come on down, can use all the help I can get. That nv5600 probably weighs 400lbs.

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
It's not that hard so if you're planning to stick with off roading for a while it's worth it to get the tools and you'll be money ahead as long as you have the space. After a couple of times though, you'll be a pro.

More importantly you'll know that it has been done right. I was having a rearend shop do all my gear work but after I got the tools and did it myself I found out they had been leaving parts out.

You can get a cheap press sufficient for occasional use at Harbor Freight. Be sure to clip a 20% off coupon. Their 12 ton bottle jack press is sufficient to the task. I got the clam shell bearing kit out of India for less than what it cost me for one gear setup at the rearend shop. http://www.durasolid.com/. I think it's the same kit that Yukon sells for more money just with different paint. It's that label thing.

I already had the torque wrenches, dial indicator & stand, an electric impact gun and stuff but that stuff you will use for other work and it isn't all that expensive either, most of it can be had at Harbor. I wouldn't buy Harbor stuff if I was using the tools to make a living and there is no pride of ownership but for occasional personal use it fits the task just fine.

Got a bad whine in my rear diff so ordered some bearings, solid pinion spacer, and a Spartan (while I'm in there right? :D ). Was thinking of trying to tackle it myself but looking through all of Zuk's links, kinda getting cold feet. Wondering if anyone has experience doing it that can assist me a little, or atleast some friendly advice.

thanks

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just wanted to thank those that offered to help, especially ROCTAC, but after being called out by Dick, I figured I needed to just man up and do it so even after having the wrong bearings :confused: , I was able to replace the destroyed outer pinion bearing, put in a solid spacer and the locker, and a mighty spiffy looking Marlin seal and set up everything nicely. She's spinning nice and quiet now, and thanks to Dick, I'm able to add one more task off my manly things I've done checklist.

btw - if anyone needs an outer pinion bearing for a 4 cyl, an inner pinion bearing for pre-85 trucks (short pinion head), or a single carrier bearing for a v6, hit me up for super cheap.

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
Good for you. You've just gained a banana in your mechanical ability rating and now everyone will be seeking you out. LOL

Be sure to make it worth your while and score plenty of beer.

Just wanted to thank those that offered to help, especially ROCTAC, but after being called out by Dick, I figured I needed to just man up and do it so even after having the wrong bearings :confused: , I was able to replace the destroyed outer pinion bearing, put in a solid spacer and the locker, and a mighty spiffy looking Marlin seal and set up everything nicely. She's spinning nice and quiet now, and thanks to Dick, I'm able to add one more task off my manly things I've done checklist.

btw - if anyone needs an outer pinion bearing for a 4 cyl, an inner pinion bearing for pre-85 trucks (short pinion head), or a single carrier bearing for a v6, hit me up for super cheap.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts