TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Willing to trade beer, bourbon, or beginner welding in exchange for use of your band saw. Got some 3" diameter mild steel I need to cut.

Looking to do this ASAP, but realistically no sooner than Monday evening.

Thanks much,
Sean

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[email protected]#$ :D...slight change of plans...

Willing to provide beer and/or bourbon to someone or sometwo willing to help Ben & I get my new toy to its new home in my garage on Monday or Tuesday evening...it is in SE Denver, I am east of Boulder, so it's a bit of a drive, but...yeah...pizza and booze if a couple people are willing to help out. It's kinda on the heavy side :xsmokin1:. Post or PM, whatever :D...TIA!

-Sean

·
20,355 Posts
Tempting, i was thinking of heading to denver on Monday already and would love to see your work in progress. what time were you thinking of doing the heavy lifting?

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ike, Nate, you guys would be more than welcome :xpimp:! That'd be awesome if you guys were able to help.

I'm looking to get there around 7:30, as traffic is dying down..just a guess, but it'd probably be around 9:00 by the time we were back at my place with the piece unloaded. Hopefully not that long, but I don't want to say 8:00 and then have it take forever.

Hopefully Monday...it depends on what time we get back from Creede, it's about an 8 hour drive. I'll shoot you guys a PM with my cell #.

-Sean

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I doubt I can make it down to Denver (kids) on a week night to help with the pick up, but if you need help when you get back up to the north side, I could come over.

·
7,735 Posts
Oh, I smell a new horizontal band saw... I'm down to help if it means I get to use it once or twice. Let me know if you need any other help than those that offered

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, this is a little late, sorry I didn't check over the weekend, but had no computer handy in paradise :cool:.

I'll shoot you guys a PM with my #...give a shout if you want to drop in or drive down.

Yanno you guys are welcome to make use of it regardless :p...but help is always appreciated, whether it takes the form of heavy lifting or thick bullshitting :xsmokin1:

...and Ben ain't kidding about the paint :xpimp:

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the help! :xbeer3::xbeer3::xbeer3::xbeer3:

I'll throw up a couple pics later, forgot my data cable again :rolleyes:

This thing is SWEEEEEET...

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Now, when somebody says "hit it with your purse", we'll know they're serious.

The saw is about 20 years old. The gearbox is an updated unit, about 10 years old. Everything is Made in the USA :xsmokin1:. Those of you who know me fairly well know that's very important to me. CIE still makes saws, very similar to this one in fact, and they still carry a full line of spare parts for this saw. A few replacement parts + spare consumables and a wet kit should be here end of this week.

Until the other day, it hadn't been run in a few years. I spent yesterday evening cleaning & adjusting, replaced a few bolts that didn't have full engagement, ran a tap through a couple dirty/clogged threaded holes, and got a pair of nuts on the eye bolt for the return spring so it doesn't feel like a dead lift getting the arm back up. Looks like the descent cylinder might need to be replaced too, it's showing quite a bit of fluid on the shaft, but still operates properly.

I still need to make a fine adjustment to the blade, to get it parallel to the base...my coarse adjustment got it within about 1*, maybe less...it took a right angle to verify that it was cutting at any angle at all, and for all I know the arm is dropping at a slight angle...but it's pretty damn good.

That piece of tube was my test cut last night, using Ace-branded cutting fluid, slow drop speed, and slow band speed...couldn't even hear the saw running, upstairs. Katie was like "you were cutting something?" :xsmokin1:. The tube (on the left) shows the fresh cut, the drop (on the right) shows a cut from the chop saw that's been cleaned with an angle grinder.

I haven't run it at high speed or fast drop, yet...can't wait. Gotta change the blade, that one is pretty beat, missing teeth and got a couple wobbles to it, but the guy I bought it from had a spare blade in great shape. If somebody has an anvil and whatnot, we can turn this used blade in to some knives or something :cool:. Yeah, I'm serious, PM me if you want it...or I may grab an anvil and play around.

Advantages over a chop saw are set & forget, capacity, cleanliness, accuracy, safety, and decibel level...not to mention I can use it upright. Chop saw is definitely faster for perpendicular cuts through tube, but that's about it. I suspect I'll use this much more often, since it solves my "wanna cut tube late at night in a townhouse" problem.

I'm gonna use it to cut the big material, probably a few tubes for the bed cage, stand it upright and cut the plate for the shackle hangers, then take it completely apart, clean it up, and turn various pieces over to Ben for a bit of paint :xpimp:.

It was expensive, but I think it was a very good deal and it oughtta last about...oh...forever :xsmokin1:.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts