TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over a week break from work in February I pieced together my first bumper, based heavily on BruceTS's design.

It went together really well, save for the "wings" pulling in a bit from the heat of the welding, which I just trimmed ( :saw: ) a bit then shimmed with rubber, as they really wanted to rub the body when on the trail.

In the next few weeks I'm stepping up to 255/80/17s, and in a few weeks from that I have a long drive out West with the whole family and dog, so the spare has got to find a place outside of the truck to live, as does the HiLift.

Has anyone built a tire carrier for one of these? I have some ideas of what I want to do, and some more from iH8mud, but wanted to see what anyone else has done.

I was thinking of putting the hinge and the latch up above the bumper in the area where the wings wrap...

-mike

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Mine isn't a tire carrier, but same idea. Bolts onto receiver hitch and shackles mounts. You'll notice a lot of flex in the upper wing area if you plan on welding it on there. If I needed a spare tire carrier I would build another with structure behind one of the corners.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was going to support the corners heavily... boxed 3/8". Trying to figure out a double sheer for that hinge too. Your bumper build is nice, btw. I remember looking at it as I prepped for mine!

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I loosely tried to emulate his swing out build for one of his bumpers, but it didn't turn out as well of course, lol. Here's the thread, but the pics have gone down.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Sorry haven't been online much, hopefully you figured out a good design. Personally I made one that fits into my hitch that folds down to access the back hatch, very simple and lite.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I did, long time ago but I dont have that bumper any more. I had to reinforce the area behind the hinge but it worked real well. Hinge was a 1" grade 8 bolt, two bronze bushings and a piece of DOM which was super over kill.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Bruce made a bumper for me few years ago, and I made a plug-in tire carrier myself.

this the whole thing without the tire:

·
Registered
288 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts