TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I suppose my first post isnt really a question but more of a rant. Guess its the Newbie thing to do.

Anyways who is the moron that put the 2.7 in the 4Runner and then the automatic transmission. Before you say anything we already know who the bigger moron is for buying the damn thing:D . I just dont understand the logic behind it. When I bought it I didnt have a place to really take it out and stretch its legs up to freeway speeds. Needless to say around town where I testdrove it, it was actually pretty zippy (yes I said zippy) especially with the trans in PWR mode. Keep in mind this came stock with 4.10's and 225's. When I bought it, it had 235's on it. Well once being the proud owner I drove it to work. Its a straight stretch about 13 miles out to the base perfectly flat. Well that day it drove great, 75, 85 mph no problem. The next day when it was windy, which it always is here in ND. Holy crap its like the hand of god smacked the 4runner in the face. With a moderate head wind of 15 mph I could barely maintain 70, stronger gusts had it searching in and out of OD constantly to maintain 70. What a gutless wonder. I dont think its that the engine doesnt have the power but the transmission gearing is so whacked for this engine. Why is OD so tall? once you start losing speed it downshifts to 3rd which will scoot it back up to 80 no problem, but once back into OD the speed falls off like crazy no matter how much you mash the gas. Cruise control is worthless too. The transmission totally keeps it out of the powerband naturally which I'm guessing doesnt start until what 3000rpm's??

Why can it drive just fine on calm day, but something as simple as a crosswind or headwind can kill all of its momentum. Must just be the shoebox in the wind theory. Everything is maintained too. No plugged cat, or exhaust. I've cleaned MAF, throttle body, plugs, wires. Tested O2 sensors. EGR is cleaned. So its not a maintenance issue. Just poor design I guess.

So why did I write all this, uhh I dont know now. Sympathy?? maybe find someone else with a 4runner and the 3RZ auto who experiences the same thing. I mean I know the answer really of why its like this. Its a heavy car with a 4 cyl. and an automatic trans. It sure sucks though should've got the 3.4. Anyways thanks for listening. I'll be a good forum member now and contribute instead of whining.

Matt

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hmm, not too many I suppose. Anybody with any form of 2.7 and an auto have similar experiences??

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
You're not alone-
I HAD an Xtracab Prerunner (2.7 w/ auto) - It would have been better mated to a 5 spd- (But Prerunners weren't avail w/ 5 spds)
Toyota also sold the DoubleCab Prerunner with a 2.7 w/auto-

Don't really think it was a poor design- just part of the many configurations-
- This provided an entry level for consumers that wanted a 4runner yet needed an automatic-
- Toyota also stopped offering the 2.7 in the 3rd gen (also stopped prod of the 3.4/R150) - I think by 2000 -2001 - the "base" model was a 3.4L auto Sr5 4Runner

Maybe you should consider regearing.
The 2.7 is a good engine- you just get more out of it with the 5 spd.

I had the opportunity to sell my 2.7/auto Prerunner and replaced it with a 3.4 - 5 spd 4wd- I am glad I did.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh yeah I agree whole heartedly, but reagearing even with 235's!! come on thats rediculous. I shouldnt have to regear just to maintain freeway speeds with stock tires, maybe not poor design, but definitely poor powertrain choices for a heavy 4Runner anyways. When I put my 265 destination MT's on, forget about it its a nightmare unless I keep it locked out of OD and drive around 3600 rpms to maintain 70.

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
Technically wasn't the stock tire size 225?

So regearing would be an option.......What's the current gear ratio
Otherwise superchagring or reselling would be options.

Even with the V6 & 5 spd, I opted to go from 4.10 to 4.30's

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, you are correct 225's. What I'm saying is that I think 4.10, (which it has) was the wrong choice for the auto, even with 225's. Toyota should have put 4.30 or 4.56 in there from the factory to offset the shortfalls of the 4cyl.

Like I said, I can answer all my own questions on how to solve this. Guess I'm just frustrated that I bought it and now have to deal with it for a while. (See: whining)

·
Registered
779 Posts
www.craigslist.com post it up for more than bluebook and someone will low ball you and you can find a nice medium and sell the thing... tell them you're in no hurry to sell it but if the money is right.. see what I am saying.? instead of complaining about regearing or needing a s/c do somethign about it..Someone has ought to take you up on it or give you anoffer... hell gas is going up and its a 4cyl. just my :2cents:

-Alex

1 - 7 of 7 Posts