TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i have a 4 cyl 4x4 tacoma and i'm thinking about towing a trailer and car with it. At first i wanted to use a dolly, but they only had a trailer available which leaves me no choice. The problem is I think I'm going to be exceeding the towing capacity of my truck by a good 1000lbs. If I'm correct, the towing capacity for a 4x4 4cyl is about 3500lbs. With the trailer included, I'll probably be towing something like 4500lbs at the least. Can I do it or do I have to cop out and borrow someones domestic v8... :(

edit: forgot to say that it was an automatic with 31 tires, stock.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
thats pushing it, get a fullsize and be safe about it

·
Registered
185 Posts
JoeYu said:
i have a 4 cyl 4x4 tacoma and i'm thinking about towing a trailer and car with it. At first i wanted to use a dolly, but they only had a trailer available which leaves me no choice. The problem is I think I'm going to be exceeding the towing capacity of my truck by a good 1000lbs. If I'm correct, the towing capacity for a 4x4 4cyl is about 3500lbs. With the trailer included, I'll probably be towing something like 4500lbs at the least. Can I do it or do I have to cop out and borrow someones domestic v8... :(

If you're talking uhaul trailer, their trailer alone is 1800 pounds. And it's anyones guess if the surge brakes will work properly. In a pinch a few years ago I towed my fj40 from PA to NH on a uhaul trailer. I intended on driving it, but that wasn't happening. I towed it behind my 98 v6 5 spd tacoma. The truck did an admirable job, but given the choice I wouldn't do it again. But if your under 5k pounds, you have trailer brakes and the load is distributed correctly, in a remote area without much traffic, etc. you should be fine. The brakes and frame on a 4cyl are the same as a v-6. But it will certainly be slow going and real tough on the truck. Borrow a buddies rig if you can.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BMWTACO said:
If you're talking uhaul trailer, their trailer alone is 1800 pounds. And it's anyones guess if the surge brakes will work properly. In a pinch a few years ago I towed my fj40 from PA to NH on a uhaul trailer. I intended on driving it, but that wasn't happening. I towed it behind my 98 v6 5 spd tacoma. The truck did an admirable job, but given the choice I wouldn't do it again. But if your under 5k pounds, you have trailer brakes and the load is distributed correctly, in a remote area without much traffic, etc. you should be fine. The brakes and frame on a 4cyl are the same as a v-6. But it will certainly be slow going and real tough on the truck. Borrow a buddies rig if you can.
it will only be short distance, we're talking about a max of 50 miles. and yes, its a uhaul trailer. i really wanted to use a dolley but this was all they had.
i don't mind going slow and will be very careful, but unless someone says that they have tried this and my turck will NOT be able to make it, I plan on giving it a try. dont worry, its mostly rural driving and it will be done carefully.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hauling with a 2.7L

I had a 2001 Taco 2 dr 4x4. Stock!!! I never pulled anything with before. I was @ an outdoor music camping event. A Chevy 15 passenger van loaded down with vendor gear and stage equip. said he needed pulled out of the mud. This is in Ohio then. Like I said I never pulled anything before. I thought if I hooked up to my bumper I would mess up my bumper. So like an idiot and being naive of pulling I hooked the straps up to my strap down factory bed rings by the tail gate. stuck it in 4 Lo and pulled it out. Went about a 50 Yrs. No joke. It had rained all week. The dudes were amazed. The rings never bent and the truck was incredible. I wish I would have kept it. Head was going after beating it in off-road stuff. The gears are farm gear in the 4cyl(4.56) I now have a 02 xtc 5sp(the other was also) and these gears are 4.10 to 4.30! I got stuck in 5 inches of snow on the flat now. The 4cly are great. I almost pulled a ford expedition that same week up a muddy hill. It pulled a little but I messed up on power shift and it gave up. Keep the 4cyl!!! They kick butt.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Be safe, find a truck with the proper towing capacity. End of story!

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've towed one of my race cars with my buddys pre runner, it did ok, just keep it out of overdrive

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
You should read the story Jason (Demello) put up a few months ago about how a guy towed something well beyond his capacity out in CA and killed a family when he lost control. Don't do it. You'll make the road even more unsafe.

Tim

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
JoeYu said:

will the truck pull the load? yes but not on the bumper hitch, no way. With a properly installed class III hitch installed for several hundred bucs you "could" do it.

now, lets talk brakes...No, your truck will not be able to safely stop this load. If you installed a trailer brake system in your truck and the Uhaul was compatible with it (unlikely) things would be different but those systems are several more hundred bucs to have installed.

So, by the time you spend what will be needed for this 'short distance' run you could have rented a pickup from uhaul along with the trailer for substantially less money.

don't try it.

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
Unless you lie about your tow vehicle, in which case when you go pick up the trailer, your facade will discovered. Uhaul will not rent you a trailer that will overload your tow vehicle.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
Bear said:
Unless you lie about your tow vehicle, in which case when you go pick up the trailer, your facade will discovered. Uhaul will not rent you a trailer that will overload your tow vehicle.
details, details :p

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
Ain't life a biotch!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Does your truck have a brake controller? Trailer have brakes? If not...you're not too smart and safe to do it.

FYI: I passed by some deputies and GA DMMV officers this morning. They were sitting at a pull off that DMMV uses for checking dumptrucks, semi's etc. One of the deputies is a good friend of mine. I hit him up on nextel and asked what they were doing. They were checking only smaller trucks (F-450's/similar and below pulling stuff) and also having K9 check the vehicles for drugs. They had written several tickets to smaller trucks pulling outside of capacity. He said one truck was a truck identical to mine (double cab) pulling a large boat. He also said they had gave some owners the option of dropping the load, unhooking the trailer, or having it all towed.

I would not chance it. If you hit someone and hurt/kill them...they're gonna own you. Also you insurance company can refuse to honor the claim if you're towing outside of your trucks capabilities.

·
Registered
296 Posts
This is assuming your not towing off of the bumper and are only going 50 miles in a flat environment. I say you'd be ok to do it but you should consider doing it at 4am on a Sunday morning and taking your time. At this time in the morn the roads wont be busy and you can just go slow the whole trip.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
3500 lbs is the weight capacity for the bumper. Not one person in this thread has responded with the actual towing capacity of the vehicle in relation to the load. Sheesh. :doh: As long as you're not exceeding the load of the attachment point or the vehicle, you're fine. It's that simple. :D

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
JoeYu said:

I have done a good deal of towing with my truck before i installed the 35's (auto V6). The biggest problem will be the brakes as others have stated. Tacoma brakes will not stop a heavy load safely. Make sure that the trailer brakes are working well before doing anything. I towed a u-haul enclosed 6X12 trailer fully loaded from MASS to Long Island. braking was fine as the trailer brakes worked well, but it was definitely a strain on the engine.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Interesting thread,and since Joe Yu asked about exceeding towing capacity,yes I've done it,but would STRONGLY recommend against it.Too freaking dangerous and just plain stupid.
Here is my stupidity story,(one of the many),this happened 16 years ago.
I was moving all of my stuff across town from one apt. to another.
At the time,I had an 87 Toy 4x4 pickup,22R carbed 4cyl,5 speed, 2" lift on 31s.Loaded my truck and a buddies 70's fullsize 1/2 ton Chevy pickup with all my worldly possessions.About halfway there,his chevy took a dump,and would not start.Crap.Didn't want to leave all my stuff on the side of the road,in the back of his truck.Luckily I had a strap,so I hooked up his fullsize Chevy full of my furniture and boxes,to my Yota full of furniture,and strapped that damn loaded Chevy all the way to my new apt.I had to put it in 4lo most of the time,and did a lot of shifting,but made it.Glad the cops didn't see that!
I think I exceeded towing cap on that one.By more than a little.But made it!Can't believe I got away with strap towing on the street,I was lucky,and it was 16 years ago.
If you have to tow something,be safer than I was.Rent a truck,borrow a buddies truck,just don't exceed your caps,and be safe.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts