TTORA Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching around on this section. I can't find where anyone has tried to mount 6½" subs in the rear doors. Here is my thought:

I found some nice 6½ woofers - Specifications: Power Handling: 70 watts RMS/140 watts max *VCdia: 1-1/2" *Impedance: 4 ohms *Re: 3.6 ohms *Frequency range: 38-800 Hz *Fs: 38 Hz *SPL: 83 dB 1W/1m *Vas: .41 cu.ft. *Qms: 2.65 *Qes: .47 *Qts: .40 *Xmax 13 mm *Dimensions: A: 7", B: 5-1/2", C: 3-5/8"

If the mounting depth isn't too much on these, I thought I might be able to baffle them in the rear door location. I'd also Dynamat the door. I'd set them on a LP filter off of a 4 channel amp.

I prefer my sound stage up front anyway, and do not like anything but lows coming from behind me. I like the way a good 6½ woofer setup sounds. I’m just wondering if anyone has fit them in the rear doors.

-Jeff

·
Registered
266 Posts
I've been searching around on this section. I can't find where anyone has tried to mount 6½" subs in the rear doors. Here is my thought:

I found some nice 6½ woofers - Specifications: Power Handling: 70 watts RMS/140 watts max *VCdia: 1-1/2" *Impedance: 4 ohms *Re: 3.6 ohms *Frequency range: 38-800 Hz *Fs: 38 Hz *SPL: 83 dB 1W/1m *Vas: .41 cu.ft. *Qms: 2.65 *Qes: .47 *Qts: .40 *Xmax 13 mm *Dimensions: A: 7", B: 5-1/2", C: 3-5/8"

If the mounting depth isn't too much on these, I thought I might be able to baffle them in the rear door location. I'd also Dynamat the door. I'd set them on a LP filter off of a 4 channel amp.

I prefer my sound stage up front anyway, and do not like anything but lows coming from behind me. I like the way a good 6½ woofer setup sounds. I’m just wondering if anyone has fit them in the rear doors.

-Jeff
The depth on those might be a deal breaker unless you are OK with windows that won't roll down all the way. Is this for an early d-cab or an 05+?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The depth on those might be a deal breaker unless you are OK with windows that won't roll down all the way. Is this for an early d-cab or an 05+?
It is an '03. I'll be the pioneer of the project I guess. I'll just pull the door panel and measure my depth. Maybe if it's a bit shallow, I can compensate with an MDF spacer. If it looks as if it will clear, I’ll just keep the panel off for a week until the woofers come in (so I don't have to remove it twice).

-Jeff

·
Registered
86 Posts
Do you have a link to these speakers?

·
Registered
320 Posts
No matter what you do to to make it sound clean those door pannels/windows/switches are going to rattle like crazy, but if you turn the music up loud enough it should not be a problem. Why dont you want to put them behind the back seat? room?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I also have a 03 D-cab and in the same position. There is room to mount subs behind the rear seats. You have to get a custom box made or make it yourself. They say you can only put 8" behind the rear seats. Right now me and my brother in-law are working on mounting 10" behind the seats. Got a couple ideas up my sleeve right now. I keep everyone posted on what we come up with. If you do go with the 6 1/2" in the doors dynomat the hell out of it. Its going to be like a baby rattle back there and personally that would annoy the hell out of me. :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
Mini-subs in the rear can sound great.

In a different vehicle, I did the same and added fiberglass matting and epoxy to the metal door skins to reduce resonances and to keep the bass tight. It was nearly a perfectly sealed enclosure except for where air may be able to excape via the window interface.

·
Registered
219 Posts
if you do decide to that, make sure you buy component speakers for the front because you'll need mids and highs to balance everything out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts