TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i did a little searchin and couldnt find wut im lookin for, so has anyone ever removed the stock overload leaf from the rear of their truck? i dont haul anything and the ride is absolutely terrible i have bilsteins on it all around and ive heard they are to stiff for no loads and daily drivin, i wanna put on mv-12's cuz i heard (from downey) they are soft, but i wanna soften up the springs too... any opinions on whether this is a bad idea or not?

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
kingbrian24 said:
well i did a little searchin and couldnt find wut im lookin for, so has anyone ever removed the stock overload leaf from the rear of their truck? i dont haul anything and the ride is absolutely terrible i have bilsteins on it all around and ive heard they are to stiff for no loads and daily drivin, i wanna put on mv-12's cuz i heard (from downey) they are soft, but i wanna soften up the springs too... any opinions on whether this is a bad idea or not?
since you never load the truck down the OLs never even come into play on your truck. pulling them will make no difference in ride...unless your springs are shot and are riding directly on the OLs, that is.

other than that...its a truck :rolleyes: and not designed for a cushy ride. If you're looking for that, get a car.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
see the most i ever haul is my dirt bike but right now i have about 400 pounds of tires and wheels in the back of it and the ride is so much better its almost tolerable so im looking for any help because i know these trucks dont ride soft, but when i hurt my back wen i go through a dip or over a speed bump to fast i dont think thats good...

·
TTORA SoCal
1,976 Posts
Get an add a leaf pack and replace the overload with it. You still can haul stuff alright, and it will soften the ride up....

·
Registered
447 Posts
The only thing that I can think of if you pull the OL leaf, then when you hit a bump hard, you might hit the bumpstops making for an even harsher ride rather than the OL leaf acting as a dampner before bottoming out. Just my theory, don't know if it would happen for sure. Be the first to pull them and tell us what happens, you might have found the new cheap trick!

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
rubberpants said:
Get an add a leaf pack and replace the overload with it. You still can haul stuff alright, and it will soften the ride up....
Uh, no...AALs will stiffen up the ride more so than overloads that he isn't even utilizing at the moment.

·
Registered
82 Posts
A longer shackle is supposed to help the spring pack flex better too...

I say either go with a custom spring pack, put a longer shackle on it, or put one of those water bags in the back of the truck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I removed the overload leaf and added one of Downey's pre-runner add a leaf that doesn't provide any lift but softens up the ride in the back...... Definitly get those MV-12 they ride real nice... Have that setup on my truck.

·
Registered
156 Posts
A longer shackle on a stock spring is just going to straighten out the spring and bring it in contact with overload, which will actually stiffen the ride. The AAL will also stiffen the ride, you are just adding another leaf to your already stiff pack. This is all assuming the spring is still in good condition and not sitting on the overload leaf already. If the leaf pack is shot, then it's shot, get them re-arched, or get a new leaf pack.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
TruckinT said:
The only thing that I can think of if you pull the OL leaf, then when you hit a bump hard, you might hit the bumpstops making for an even harsher ride rather than the OL leaf acting as a dampner before bottoming out. Just my theory, don't know if it would happen for sure. Be the first to pull them and tell us what happens, you might have found the new cheap trick!
Uhh... you still have bumpstops? :confused:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts