TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
You plan on going to grad school? Those are usually best suited for that. I've been under the impression if you want to get out of undergrad and make 50k+ annual you may have a hard time. The major isn't terribly specialized. My brother has a BA or BS in some environmental science, he makes teens an hr. I could be wrong, but thats what I have observed. Just dont rack up too much in loans!

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You plan on going to grad school? Those are usually best suited for that. I've been under the impression if you want to get out of undergrad and make 50k+ annual you may have a hard time. The major isn't terribly specialized. My brother has a BA or BS in some environmental science, he makes teens an hr. I could be wrong, but thats what I have observed. Just dont rack up too much in loans!
Where about's is he located? I have zero loans as of now and will never get a loan for undergrad. Maybe for grad school. I have my foot in the door with Kaiser which is a basically "the" place to work for in the field of Health Education and Promotion. EX: Hugs campaign they have. I've been told by someone with a masters in my field to just use my BS to apply for a 2 year specialty program such as PA, OT, PT, or Nursing.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
From all the fishery management work I have done, I can tell you:
The vast majority of environmental science is, yes indeed.....BS.

I hope you are not like the rest.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Funny you say that on fisheries. I was seeing this vegan chick a few years back who worked in that for less than my pharmacy tech job at the time. With a BS in environmental. Heh, she said anyone who works in fisheries commits to lifetime of poverty.

My Brother works for some logging company. He is titled a biologist now, but doesnt make much more than he did before.

And good on having a company 'in.' Thats also key, regarless of what you grad in. And nursing doesnt typically require a degree prior to, as it is a BS in itself. I would say PA or nursing. PT's are underpaid (where I use to work) for their education level. IMO.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Funny you say that on fisheries. I was seeing this vegan chick a few years back who worked in that for less than my pharmacy tech job at the time. With a BS in environmental. Heh, she said anyone who works in fisheries commits to lifetime of poverty.

My Brother works for some logging company. He is titled a biologist now, but doesnt make much more than he did before.

And good on having a company 'in.' Thats also key, regarless of what you grad in. And nursing doesnt typically require a degree prior to, as it is a BS in itself. I would say PA or nursing. PT's are underpaid (where I use to work) for their education level. IMO.
Thanks for replying.

I talked to many health promoters and health educators. Teachers seem to make more off the bat at the public school level. Ranging from 30-50k per year depending on location. Which is kind of depressing because I work at Costco pharmacy and if I went full time and stopped going to school I would make the same amount. It is very hard to justify leaving Costco with all their benefits, pay, 401k matching, stock, and petition. I feel like the only way I can leave Costco is for Kaiser ($30/hr same job & better benefits) or a government job.

Recent trends have shown a higher demand for health promoters and health educators with OBAMA Care. I've seen recent job openings (that I can't get yet, no BS) for OBAMA Care health promoters.

Hopefully a fellow TTORA may help me get a job :D I do find myself enjoying my major more and more everyday.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Costco is a good company. I thought you worked at Toyota?

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Costco is a good company. I thought you worked at Toyota?
My brother works for Toyota (SuperChiem). I was in the T-Ten Program but dropped out due to back problems. Costco is a damn good company :D but if I get a BS I can also move into management for Costco rather than pharmacy tech. It is a win win situation. :cool:

I'm just seeing what I can do with a BS degree in general, as well as a BS in Health Science Community. I thought there was a member on here who messaged me about it once, but I had deleted his private message. The member was not an active member though. I believe he had a BS in Environmental Science and he worked for the county testing the water at local lakes and ponds. He said every once in a while he would off-road at work. I'm sure it was a company truck that he used though. Non the less I'm happy and excited to work toward my BS degree.

I always wanted to know what jobs other members have. I find it interesting how other members support their hobby. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts