TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the lower control arm bolts on my SC is rusted and frozen into the bushing sleeve, and there's no way it's coming out with hand tools. I can rent a compressor right near my house in the morning for not too much, and an impact if I have to, but I was wondering if anyone here on the south end of town had a 1/2" air impact that I could borrow. Even a compressor, I guess, now that I think of it. Let me know what y'all have and I can grab it up in the morning. There would be beer involved....;)

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
you just wanna use the shop? give me a ring

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ended up borrowing a compressor and tools from my buddy/boss. However, once I figured out how all this shit goes together, I realized that it wasn't the rotational power of the impact that I needed, but a directional force. The issue is a LCA bolt that's rusted into the sleeve that lines the rearmost LCA bushing. It's a cam bolt so it's got alignment plates on it, so I can't rotate it far enough in either direction to break it loose even if I could exert the rotational force. Therefore, I'm reduced to banging the living fucking hell out of the other end of the bolt with a 4lb sledge, at a poor angle, lying on the ground, with little neighbor kids playing outside so I can't even scream profanities at it to aid my progress. This bolt (driver's side) and it's passenger side counterpart have turned a three hour job into a three day job. Fucking bullshit. The frontmost bushing has an aluminum sleeve, so the steel bolts didn't rust to it and slid right out when I asked them to. Why the fuck didn't they put an aluminum sleeve on the rear one too? Fucking engineers. Any ideas of how to get this fucker out would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
had a similar problem on my truck the other day, used a ball joint press to push the bolt out..... not sure if you can fit a big heavy duty clamp like that in there???

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Giant cutoff wheel. I use a 6" on my 4" grinder, a little close to the knuckles.
I'm calling around in a couple of minutes to see if any Toyota or Lexus dealers around have the alignment bolts for either Supra or SC. If I can get one, I'm grinding that fucker out and calling it good. Can you fit a 6" wheel on a 4" grinder? I'll get a couple more of each and see.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
If you get the right arbor size, it is just scary close to the fingers. Double bag the hands with leather and your good through.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll have the day to try it out, as I just called around and the ONLY one of these bolts in the area is in Kansas City. Ended up ordering it from Mountain States, as the dude was super helpful and I wanted to help him out, and it's on my way back from Brighton anyway. Should be here Tuesday, but I'm grinding that bitch out today and should be ready to drop it right in when I get it.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
You should call me next time you need supra parts. My buddy has a junk yard with 10 or so supras.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did not know that. I still wanted new LCA's for the bushings and balljoints, but I'll hit you up for sure for five-speed swap stuff. Or.......any V160's lying around for cheap? :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts